Where to look?

O

outdoorguy

I just got a metal detector recentally and have been looking for thinks ever since around my property but have only found shotgun shells and barbed wire. Does any one know where any old sites or place to look for things are around southeastern PA, Northern Delaware or Maryland.

Upvote 0

Bob B.

Oct 27, 2004
I don't live in your area but I think this holds true no matter where you live. One of the first things I did was go to the local library and went in the area that holds all (or most) of the history to my town and dug into old newspapers looking at pictures where the old train station was, where church picnics where held etc. then I went to the courthouse (to find out what was on my property years ago) I live in the country, then to the local museum, the list goes on and on. I think research is the way to go and talking to people the older generation you can get alot of info from them. You can also check out the Terraserver website for your area when your ready. I do alot of my metal detecting right here on this computer (research). I also am still checking out my property, everytime I go outside I find something new. No matter where your at HH Bob.B

Cladius

Mar 8, 2004
Anyplace people go or have gone. I found a large cent in a Ct. corn Field two weeks ago. Knock on doors ask permission you will be pleasantly surprised how many people will give you permission or suggest a place to go. Waiting on spring. Cladius.

AlabamaClay

Dec 27, 2004
Cladius,

How exactly do you ask permission? I would find it hard to ask someone if I could dig in their yard to find stuff even if I could assure them that I would not leave holes or messes.
;D <--- My 4 year old wanted me to put this here.

Thanks,

Clay

Zeke

Oct 26, 2004
Jackson Creek,NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Re: How to Ask

Clay..........Just ask. They can either say yes or no. Ive always been the quiet/reserved/shy type but have been recently trying to overcome it. So far I am batting 1000 on getting permission to hunt places.

1st place was where they are building a new Food Lion. When the land was cleared, out popped 2 old houses that I never knew was there....lived here since 86. There are No Tresspassing/Danger signs all over the place. I got the name and # off of the construction companies sign and got in contact with the supervisor over the project. He said no problem and hoped that I found some good stuff...just be careful.

Then theres this house down on the corner that was built in 1900 that had come up for rent. I had noticed when the other people moved out, and the owners(that live across the corner) was having siding and windows put on it. I figured it would be a good time to ask to hunt it with it being vacant. Call them up and somebody has already moved in :'( but the lady stills says I can hunt it. I decline the offer saying I wouldnt feel right detecting there with someone living in the house but she still says no problem......she owns the house and if I want to hunt it, go ahead....just let her know when so she can tell the people I will be there and what I am doing.

And both of these were over the phone.....going against the recommended way of asking in person...but the construction company for the Food Lion site is out of town and I kinda/sorta know the people that own the house.

Anyway.....sorry for the book.....but it never hurts to ask ;D and it sure doesnt help not to. Just be sure to tell them that you will not mess up their lawn....and then keep your word on it. Dig it like it was your own private putting green is my motto.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
That's awesome Zeke! I've usually been cutoff on the cold call over the phone. Always had good luck when doing the face-to-face though. Maybe I just look better than I sound... Nah, that sure ain't it.

I think most people like talking to people in person so if there's a site I really want to get at I will stake it out (discreetly) until I find someone there. Stalking works too!

P

paul290

I'm also brand new withthe same question. I live in western washington state, real close to Puget sound. I have went to school playgrounds just to test the machine in soft bark or pea gravel around playgrounds. It works. I'm thinking of beach areas since there are so many.

Cladius

Mar 8, 2004
Clay and company, you ask permission by finding out who owns the land you want to search then knocking on their door at a resonable hour and explain to them what you do for a hobby and offer to show any (treasures you find to them) notice I said show not give! Take that little 4 year old smilly face with you and say how your teaching history. You will be surprised how nice most people are! And one good conection will lead to many more! Remember the worst thing that could happen is somebody saying no. Good luck and let us know how you and the squirt do. Cladius.

Dec 16, 2004
Cladius said:
offer to show any (treasures you find to them) notice I said show not give! Cladius.

And don't forget to stick the good stuff in your shoe before you show them the other junk that you've found...er, I mean the historical items that you've just excavated. ;D

Smitty...who's a newbie that's learning a lot of good stuff on this forum that I'm already passing on to fellow members. ;)

alwayslookin

Sep 30, 2004
Indy
Hey Paul290...

I have a son staioned at NAS Whidby. He has sent me som Pics of places they go cliff diving (not real sure why anyone would do that but he is 23). Not sure how far but that is a swimming hole area from way back I am sure. People leaving stuff on the cliff and all before they jump. Send me a note if you like and I will find out where it is. Maybe someplace to start.

Dave

Dec 16, 2004
I found out today that having a trash bag to show where you've picked up trash will make whoever is over a park happy to have you there but that's not to say all of them will but the one today was. The park I was at today there was no office or any where around to ask permission but they had their rules posted and it did not say no to metal detecting so we went on about our business of hunting. But when we started to leave a city employee drove through and stopped and started quizzing us on what we were doing and when I showed him the bag of trash I had picked up he couldn't have been any more friendly. In fact when I took out some broken glass that some kid could have stepped on he praised us for making the place better. He said most people that use the park just throw their trash down even though there's trash cans every where.

I could tell he was really feed up with people trashing the place so I think we managed to spread some good will for our hobby instead of getting run off. Maybe if we all start cleaning up the parks as we go those that are in charge will start looking forward to us showing up. Heck, I'm already bent down when I'm digging so it doesn't take but a second more to pick up some trash around me at every spot I dig.

Smitty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread