Which is best MD out there?

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kgunn: You mentioned the Garrett or Minelab, which is better.
I have a straight answer....The Minelab GPX 5000.
The only issue is the high price. The best MD in the world is the GPX 5000.
You are going to spend about $5,000 to $6,000 as it goes for depth it is the hands down the winner.
I had a chat with a MD store owner in Arizona who told me a couple of Mexican fellas came in to buy one but they wanted the MD store owner to take a beer can and burry it 2 feet deep to see if it would pick up the metal signal. The store owner told me he did burry the beer can in 2 feet of dirt and held the GPX 5000 2 feet in the air above the Beer can 2 feet under ground... The Minelab GPX 5000 picked up the signal of the can 2 feet in the air above the burried 2 foot can! On youtube you can see the GPX5000 in action in Australia for gold nugget finding. A man digs a hole 3 feet deep! He finds a nugget a little less than 1 inch size in that 3 foot hole, the video is in 2 parts due to a lot of digging. The Minelab is very technical, it takes at least a good 3 to 6 months to adjust the settings and timeings, the sound has a spectrum for all types of hearing problems, the tone pitch has about 4-5 tone/pitches, many people have been helped by this. The store owner offers a crash course in Arizona where he takes people who buy the GPX 5000 on a stay over and a trip to a private owned gold field claim in Arizona to teach in the field your Minelab. He also gives a $1,000+ In-Store "Shopping Spree"!
I have seen comments/say where for the price of a Minelab, you could get 3 other MD's and save some money.
You wanted to know: This MinelabGPX5000 can do it all: Treasure/Cache, Coin & Rellic Hunt, Gold nugget Locator and "Fine Gold" setting. It runs on rechargable battery and the headphone has a seperate battery also a power Amp runs on a external battery. Stock GPX 5000 comes with 2 coils and chargers Home & Car and other items. I hope I answered your question my friend.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
www.accuratelocators.com If you want dept, check here. The Megapulse III comes with rod regular concentric coil, a larger app. 1 meter folding coil and controll box. It will go much deeper than the minelab and with the optional blanket coil will go down app. 20'. Try that with your minelab! Frank

OP
OP
kgunn

kgunn

Jan 1, 2012
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Dues
Safari
AT Pro
CoinMaster
White Gold
Minelab X-TERRA 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys,

Awesome awesome awesome feedback, n thx u. let me ask u guys ur opinion on the direction im leaning, the minelab 505 or 705 xterra for starters seems 2 b the best al around MD n that way if my boys 'dig it' lol n they want 1 that'll leave alttle room 2 get m going. Back when i used 2 detect w a white it seemed that i was findg more junk then the 'goodies' so i got burned out n sold everythg lol.

kgunn

OP
OP
kgunn

kgunn

Jan 1, 2012
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Dues
Safari
AT Pro
CoinMaster
White Gold
Minelab X-TERRA 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about the bonde drivin the Ford lol however the garrett at pro did seem pretty kool 2 so idk. Dang Frank those megapulse were pretty sweet thx 4 the heads up on that 2 :icon_thumright: Golden if this goes well i just might get more serious on that 5000 thx bud.
So u all use the propointers tho as a 'snifer' ? What do they run?

kgunn

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
kgunn said:
How about the bonde drivin the Ford lol however the garrett at pro did seem pretty kool 2 so idk. Dang Frank those megapulse were pretty sweet thx 4 the heads up on that 2 :icon_thumright: Golden if this goes well i just might get more serious on that 5000 thx bud.
So u all use the propointers tho as a 'snifer' ? What do they run?

kgunn
Check the post "which pinpointers are good" or are harbor frieght pin pointers any good?
My oppinion: for the money. Harbor freight has a cheep pointer "Cen-Tech", many like because they are operational and work fine for the price I saw online: $16.99.........
Many say: Garrett & Fisher pinpointers are more money but worth it.
I have seen "Whites" pinpointers where people have problems with the "Dang" buttons(Go out), and see many selling cheep on ebay!(Hummm ? ) Good luck, this is my feedback.

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, that darn GPX is tops, but how many people can afford one? Ok, so I could if I sold my muscle car or something. Heck, I could by five of them if I sold it, but I just can't do that. That'd be like selling my child, so GPX-less I stay for now.

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bearbqd said:
Yeah, that darn GPX is tops, but how many people can afford one? Ok, so I could if I sold my muscle car or something. Heck, I could by five of them if I sold it, but I just can't do that. That'd be like selling my child, so GPX-less I stay for now.

Just think of the GPX as another child, but, this one is already potty trained and has a job. ;D

No doubt, the Propointer is the way to go, about $120 + or - .

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roland58 said:
bearbqd said:

Just think of the GPX as another child, but, this one is already potty trained and has a job. ;D

No doubt, the Propointer is the way to go, about $120 + or - .

Well, me and the wife opted for cats instead of kids( six at the moment, but we' ve had ten at one time-- all indoor too) so thank God I don't know that expense. Dang cats are expensive enough though with quality food, litter, and vet bills. Too bad I can't claim them on my taxes. I'd get a mint back.

OP
OP
kgunn

kgunn

Jan 1, 2012
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Dues
Safari
AT Pro
CoinMaster
White Gold
Minelab X-TERRA 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
K thx Roland, but y so much if i remember rite i only gave like $30 for the bullseye n that was like 10yrs ago, has detecting got that outta control 2 ???

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
kgunn said:
K thx Roland, but y so much if i remember rite i only gave like $30 for the bullseye n that was like 10yrs ago, has detecting got that outta control 2 ???
I absolutely have no control so, I have more than 2 grand wrapped up in 2 machines, 2 aftermarket coils, diggers (lost a $40 one), etc, but let me tell you, the finds are worth it

OP
OP
kgunn

kgunn

Jan 1, 2012
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Dues
Safari
AT Pro
CoinMaster
White Gold
Minelab X-TERRA 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok now i cant wait till spring lol

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
kgunn said:
ok now i cant wait till spring lol

I have never used the pointer you speak of, but, there are few that can compare to the Propointer. I had the "gimme" from Kellyco ( a VX4?, or something like that) and I used it for about two days. I gave it away and bought the Propointer. The time you will save pulling a target out of the dirt is time you will have to dig another target. But, the bottom line is what you can afford and be happy with......whatever crumbles your cookie!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
The best detector is the one hovering over the cache, I don't care what it has been branded. Frank

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Michigan Badger said:
A shovel and dirt sifter.
Badger....... You must need a snow shovel up there this week....... I do for sure we got about 20 inches of snow last night .... And it is still coming down............

OP
OP
kgunn

kgunn

Jan 1, 2012
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Dues
Safari
AT Pro
CoinMaster
White Gold
Minelab X-TERRA 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey gang, ok prospecting old ghost towns, farms, parks n the like. where would b the best place 2 find 'the hottest spot'? ie: courthouse, libraries or rumors? basically where do u all begin ur intel at???

kgunn

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
kgunn said:
hey gang, ok prospecting old ghost towns, farms, parks n the like. where would b the best place 2 find 'the hottest spot'? ie: courthouse, libraries or rumors? basically where do u all begin ur intel at???

kgunn
Hottest spots are up for debate. You have to be careful nowadays and get permission first, unless you know it's ok to dig in an area. Private yards are wonderful, but you must have the globes to go up and knock, done that many times.
No ghost towns around here so I can't comment, but still gobs of history beginning about 1830.
Old sites including parks are great for old stuff, I like to find the trashy areas and tiptoe thru the garbage, lots of good digs!

OP
OP
kgunn

kgunn

Jan 1, 2012
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Dues
Safari
AT Pro
CoinMaster
White Gold
Minelab X-TERRA 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey fist,

o i always ask bein an ole farmboy n bird hunter i know the meaning of respect thy neighbor n a mans handshake is his oath. bein said all that how do u do ur intel (homework) or r u sayn u c a good spot get permission n just go?

kgunn

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
kgunn said:
hey fist,

o i always ask bein an ole farmboy n bird hunter i know the meaning of respect thy neighbor n a mans handshake is his oath. bein said all that how do u do ur intel (homework) or r u sayn u c a good spot get permission n just go?

kgunn
I use Google Earth alot, but there are better programs out there. I also research on line and read alot of local history books. Talking to older local folk can also be very informative.
Old online historical maps are great too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions