Which is best MD out there?

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
kgunn said:
oh ok terry, i never thought u was, but u do make a solid point...
Tnx. Happy hunting! TTC

OP
OP
kgunn

kgunn

Jan 1, 2012
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Dues
Safari
AT Pro
CoinMaster
White Gold
Minelab X-TERRA 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
u all were spot on w the garret pin point

Viddy

Aug 16, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, F2, Etrac, T2, V3i, AT Pro, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Vanquish 540, Go-Find 66, F5, Q60, Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The best detector is the one you know: how it reacts to targets, how to set the settings, and what the sounds/screen means...

I let my dad (doesn't metal detect, but wanted to come) use my ETrac on a basic park mode, and I used my back-up machine, a Fisher F2 and ran it as hot as it would go.
I smoked him all day long, sometimes even checking spots he went over and following behind him...LOL
He also dug 20X the garbage I dug.

How the heck could a $200 machine beat a $1500 machine that day?!?!?!?!

I knew how to set the F2 for the conditions, I knew what good targets and garbage sounds like, I probably listened to the faint deep hits better than he did, etc etc etc...

Garrett, Minelab, Fisher, Tesoro, White's all put out some awesome machines from a $200 - $1500 price range. Some are better better for finding certain targets than other (silver magnets, gold magnets, coin machines, etc) but in the end, I believe it comes down to the operator knowing their machine...

Viddy

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Viddy said:
The best detector is the one you know: how it reacts to targets, how to set the settings, and what the sounds/screen means...
<snip>
Garrett, Minelab, Fisher, Tesoro, White's all put out some awesome machines from a $200 - $1500 price range. Some are better better for finding certain targets than other (silver magnets, gold magnets, coin machines, etc) but in the end, I believe it comes down to the operator knowing their machine...

Viddy

:icon_thumleft: Can't argue with any of that!! :icon_thumright:

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Howdy Kgunn, The best Metal Detector looks like first if you are looking for coins & relics on dry land or in the water areas... deep buried treasure or lookin for Gold Nuggets or to follow a gold pay-streak. Some MDs are good at what they are supposed to do. I personally look sometimes for old coins in old town areas from the 1849's. Now I am into lookin for Gold nuggets, I know to drop $3,000 right now for a Minelab GPX 4500 is kinda hard right now and $6,000+ for a ML GPX 6000 is not in reach but to give the GPX Minelab 4500 a run for the money I got a Whites Goldmaster GMT E-series. What I like about it is I have taken out most common problem "Ground Balance" All I do is set to the factory marked Pre-sets and raise the coil 2 times down and up and IT'S SET! I just JUMPED THE LEARNING CURVE BIG TIME! 1 to 2 min Done. In Austraila, their soil is harsh and very difficult and a lot of detectors fail to work very well. My oppinion is I have some dealers sell a lot of Whites to people in Austrailia. (When Minelab says they are the best in the world.) Well my new toy the Whites GMT can hit a "Hot Rock" where I can press the grab button and cancil out the hot rock and detect around it where it just hits the gold target! The screen can tell me the % chance of iorn so I can just check the "Gold" sounds you get to learn. I am excited it picks up the common 4 & 5 Grain nuggets and of course larger can be found deeper too. I did my homework by recording videos, hands on instruction as well as down loaded the manual. The main thing I have found used GMT's Going for $500 to $580 on ebay. Mine is only 1 year old/used. for $500 +Free Shipping. about half off the new $799+tax. I don't have to pay out for the high end Md's now. and I can coin hunt too. The main thing is easy like plug n play and I know this is one MD I wont be getting rid of to upgrade! I can even check Heavy iorn soil where other detectors are useless. Peace Out Brother, Hope this helps.

CSA2K

Jan 24, 2012
Winchester VA
Detector(s) used
This Minelab and this Pro-Pointer.. and that's all I need
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have a 2500 and an Explorer XS. The Minelab is a superior machine in every aspect.

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Eye don think eye no but thx 4 the info.

no newts is good newts.

OP
OP
kgunn

kgunn

Jan 1, 2012
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Dues
Safari
AT Pro
CoinMaster
White Gold
Minelab X-TERRA 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey golden. good to hear from ya bud. been a min or two. hope all is well. btw u were rite im havg a blast w the 505....

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Happy to hear you are along for the adventure/ride. I knew you were going to get set up sooner or later. I can't wait for Summer, but I will be hittin it sooner than that. I still am lookin froward to my new addition (MD) mailed to me. Kinda like having a new son who joined my family. I had plenty of time on my hands while getting my money up for this upgrade: A "Whites" Goldmaster GMT E-Series! I have been so excited to start "Nugget Shooting" in my old mining town I live in. I already downloaded trainning Videos and Manual which I have read every line carefully. I finally WON this item on ebay. Original Price was $799 plus tax. I had won a bid but the seller demanded money in 1 to 2 days, Ebay rules it gives buyers 96 hours.
I emailed the seller I was getting the money and within 2 days he relisted the GMT. I canciled & retracted my bid and found one about $60 lower cost and only a year old. "A buy now" Item @ $650. I offered $450,He declined, I offered $500 he sold it! & I won this item. Much better than $799.00! I am glad your'e having fun with your 505.
Glad to hear from you again buddy. Have a nice one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread