Which is best MD out there?

Nuggets4me

Jan 1, 2012
Hemet/San Jacinto
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I came to this post because I wanted to know the same thing! But I noticed the wand the officers use at our local courthouse are Garrett....They must work Pretty good! LOL :laughing7:

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are all good (Top name detectors that is!) Its the person using it that makes the differance & how well he/she knows the detector.....that said I own a Garrett & how I beat the learning curve quick was just go to youtube & search ace250...there is 100s of videos to watch & learn!

OP
OP
kgunn

kgunn

Jan 1, 2012
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Dues
Safari
AT Pro
CoinMaster
White Gold
Minelab X-TERRA 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
K n good pointer thx u Kayden...

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah the age old question.

Garretts low end ACE series and too an extent the new AT pro Are good. Minelabs Explorers, Etrac and Excal for water also good. I know very few who don,t find good things with either.

If I were starting metal detecting today I would probably get an ACE 250,350 or an AT PRO. Knowing that if you stay at it long enough you will buy other detectors, have had 8 now down to 4.

I do think The Garrett Pro pointer (pinpointer) is a needed accessory.

Ed D.

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone has their opinions as you stated... Don't leave out Whites they are just as good too.

They are all good brands... I have access to a Garrett/Whites Metal Detector shop and I have tried a lot of different ones...

Garrets easiest to learn... low end to mid range are best

Whites upper end are as good as Minelabs (its a preference thing) but both are harder to learn than Garrets but once you have learned a white's or Minelabs they ate just hot!

Customer Service... Both Whites and Garrets are excellent... I don't know about Minelabs

Again everyone has an opinion on this subject and are biased about what they use. Only a dealer... someone that has used all of them would know for sure... I am not one... maybe some day... but like I said I do have access to a shop! :-)

Chukers

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
HOWDY: Now on Ebay... 1/11/2012 10AM PST A great deal on a "Used" Garrett ACE 250 with 2 coils, 13 Bids Highest bid is $150.01 !!!
Also "New" Garrett ACE 250 M.D. with free DVD & 2 Yr. Warranty.... $212.45 "Free Shipping" Regular pricing.
Just thought you would know of a great little Metal Detector that is like a Plug & Play.. Easy use. Good Luck.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kgunn said:
In ur alls opinion which brand is a better MD, Garrett or Minelab n y?

kgunn

What is better Ford or Chevrolet, blonde or brunette, it is all a personal preference..........

blackbeard1717

Sep 10, 2010
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Fisher IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to Kellyco detectors.com

You can research and get all your reviews. I went with a Fisher 4

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
There is no one model or companies detectot that is good for everyone in every situation. Right now, I'm pleased with my Garrett AT Pro which I think offers the best bang for the buck ($595 MAP price). In the past if a detector couldn't tell what something was, I left it. Others said dig it all, because meters lie.

With the Garrett AT Pro, I set it up in STD mode, coins program, iron totally rejected, sensitivity 7, did manual balance. Very quiet and stable. Got a loud beep & #s said 80-85 (dime) & gave depth as approximately 8 inches. Had consistent high tone. At 7" in dry, hard, mineralized soil, I found a clad dime. Probably sat there 20-30 yrs in heavily detected park.
It can go underwater to 10' & no worries if it gets rained on.

It doesn't feel too heavy at just over 3 lbs including the 4 AA batteries. DD coil does good at separating closely spaced objects. The Pro mode can detect a coin under a nail, I'm told. It's very good at detecting/IDing
nickels & has increased sensitivity to gold, compared to most detectors.

The Garrett Ace 250 I had, with stock coil, never IDed a dime properly for me beyond 4", so the AT Pro is a big improvement.

I've had the MXT. It got me a couple 6" deep dimes that IDed good in the same park the AT pro got 7", but think ground was wet, as normally the White's didn't ID properly beyond 4"-5".

I've found very few detectors that can give a corrrect ID at beyond 4"-5" deep in my soil, so 7" is deepest coin found. Best wishes, George (MN)

OP
OP
kgunn

kgunn

Jan 1, 2012
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Dues
Safari
AT Pro
CoinMaster
White Gold
Minelab X-TERRA 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thx for all the feedback gang, most helpful w my 'find a new toy' quest...

kgunn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
It all depends on your definition of best.Is that the one that goes down the deepest, The one that is most selective about the target, the one that will find the smallest nuggets along with the big ones. etc.etc.
All the major brands make the best detector for a selective type of hunting and a certain type of hunter. You probably would have gotten more direct answers if you had asked," What detector have you used to do a certain type of hunting in a specific area or type of soil. Frank

OP
OP
kgunn

kgunn

Jan 1, 2012
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Dues
Safari
AT Pro
CoinMaster
White Gold
Minelab X-TERRA 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fair enuff Frank but i selected in my opinion the top 2 n i just wanted 2 c what folks thought bout m out in the field...wish i had more experience 2 know 2 ask the right question.. :icon_thumright:

kgunn

OP
OP
kgunn

kgunn

Jan 1, 2012
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Dues
Safari
AT Pro
CoinMaster
White Gold
Minelab X-TERRA 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Ed,

u did touch on something that im curious about tho: the pinpoint, back in the day we use 2 call m 'sniffers' n it was a little hand detector that once u started digging ur hole n it would narrow down ur search in the hole with the "sniffer' if i recall it was a whites bullseye? so is there a new n better one on the market, or is that the 'pinpointer' u spoke of?

kgunn

OP
OP
kgunn

kgunn

Jan 1, 2012
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Dues
Safari
AT Pro
CoinMaster
White Gold
Minelab X-TERRA 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One last question for ya'll lol which is the best 'treasure hunting magazine' out there that covers central U.S.?

kgunn

OP
OP
kgunn

kgunn

Jan 1, 2012
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Dues
Safari
AT Pro
CoinMaster
White Gold
Minelab X-TERRA 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True that FIST ... lol :icon_thumright:

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best handheld pinpointer that I have ever used is the propointer

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I have the best MD out there. So does most everyone else out there. We out there will not reveal what it is, of course. It's just something you have to find out on your own while you are out there. No, don't get me wrong, do not take this as being facetious. You just gotta get out there and become the best metal detectorist out there, that's the important thing. After having done this, then the best MD out there soon becomes a distant afterthought.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions