More silver in the cash register...

MDnoob

Apr 23, 2003
Upvote 0

Thonolan

Mar 20, 2003
Port Huron, MI
I'm not real familiar with the Landstar. Assuming that it isn't a real deep-seeking detector, you may want to try changing your strategy a bit. I use an old 1235-x Fisher, and I still manage to find the occasional silver coin. The parks, schoolyards, churches, etc. have probably been hunted hard. If you can get permission, try searching your friends' yards. Also, you could try the grassy strips between the sidewak and road in the oldest neighborhood in your town. Start lowering your discrimination and digging the faintest signals you can find (this works particularly well after a hard rain).

Of course, getting a better detector isn't a bad idea, either. But new detector or not, keep at it- you'll find silver.

blazen70

Apr 20, 2003
Inland Empire, CA
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
That sounds so familiar MDnoob. 99% of my silver finds did come from the cash register. :oops: I haven't given up either but, I have to admit I still like rummaging through the register. -Robert-

OP
OP
MDnoob

MDnoob

Apr 23, 2003
Hehheh--- I drool whenever I pop open a new roll of coins in the register. A nice coin can make any day at work bearable! Especially the time I found an EF-40 mercury dime...

In the roll in which I found the 43' nickel, there was also a 40' and a 41'. I wonder what kid raided grandpa's coin collection for that stuff?

OP
OP
MDnoob

MDnoob

Apr 23, 2003
Found another silver Roosevelt '54 in the cash register! Hooray!

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I think I'll go to the local Blockbuster and ask for change for a dollar... :lol:

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
What town was that in? Maybe one of our members could go get change at the pizza place?

I was at a grocery store the other day, and -right there on the floor- by the ice cream freezer was a $20 bill. 3 people next to me and none of them saw it, or even made a noise as I lunged down and grabbed it. That could buy a few ounces of silver... or maybe a Morgan dollar! :lol:

OP
OP
MDnoob

MDnoob

Apr 23, 2003
Amazingly- I found yet another silver dime! This one I got in change from the coffee shop down from the Blockbuster! 3 silver dimes in 3 weeks, and a silver nickel. I have paid attention to my change since I was about 8 and first found out about silver coins and the like. I have never gotten a silver dime in normal change until today.

Dave (Pa)

Mar 19, 2003
Dunmore, Pa.
I found a Merc dime in the penny tray at the 7-11 once and got a roll of silver walker halfs from the bank when I was trying to fill a collection of Kennedys. I allso picked op a fresh unc roll of 73s last year from a differant bank.

cowboy444

Jul 29, 2003
Gold Beach, OR
I was at a flea market and bought 11 buffalo nickels. My girlfriends kids had never seen one. A week later I got a call from one of them that worked at Dairy Queen. She'd just opened a roll of nickels and they were all buffalos. 2 days later, the same thing. Out of 80 buffalo nickels, I can make out the dates on 64 of them. Never spend your change until you've checked it for collector coins.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
An ATM up here was spitting out unc. 1953 $10 bills one day. A friend had gone and got five of them, all serially numbered and crisp as the day they were born. I went, got two twenties and one of those old $10 notes. Tried again with the same results and quit after that. Don't know why he got all tens in a $50 withdrawal but the wallet watcher in this household would have thrown a fit had I used up all the cash line on the credit cards hunting those tens....

chaos11624

Sep 16, 2003
coins in register

i have gotten quite a few silver in my register at work, found a merc in penny tray , some buffalo nickles and one night a guy came in to buy a soda and was gonna pay with a morgan dollar swear to god, but his friend said wait i have a dollar and payed with paper , dam sure wish he would have spent that morgan i just about wet my pants when i saw it , it looked to be in very good condition. oh well serve it up as the one that got away, a friend of mine that worked at a 711 got a kid who spent his parents coin collection on candy .

Thonolan

Mar 20, 2003
Port Huron, MI
I've never gotten anything better than a silver washington or roosevelt, even though I've worked a lot of retail. However, a few years ago at a seven-eleven, one of my co-workers received several Morgan silver dollars from a teenager who had ransacked his father's coin collection.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread