Where should I hunt in Knoxville TN

dawgsfan

Jan 16, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I'm new to the metal detecting game and really struggling on where to detect at here in Knoxville. Ive been to a couple schools, parks etc but all I seem to find is trash. Ive had my best luck looking in my dads yard. Does anyone from this area have any suggestions on where I might wanna check out. I'm not asking for anyone's honey hole or anything just maybe some suggestions. Any info would be greatly appreciated.....Thanks Dawgsfan.

Upvote 0

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Read everything on this site.

Reread.

Repeat.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet.. :hello:

Besides reading every thing on this forum, Charles Garrett has a few books you need to read. http://www.treasurenet.com/westeast/ One called Successful Coin Hunting will give you lots of ideas on where to look. Are you a subscriber to any treasure magazines?

limegoldconvertible68

Mar 18, 2009
Illiniois
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 11"DD coil, CZ-21 with 10" coil, Fisher 1265X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What kind of detector are you using? What is your idea of success and what types of detecting(relics, totlots, old silver, etc) are you planning on concentrating on?

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I used to live in Knoxville before I moved to east TN but I still hunt there quite a bit. I would be more than happy to help you out. Please send me a PM and we can talk.

OP
OP
D

dawgsfan

Jan 16, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really appreciate the suggestions so far. I'm not currently subscribed to any magzines and I just got a whites coinmaster. I would like to hunt for old coins or anything cool. Civil War stuff would be awesome to but I'm not sure I have the equipment for all that lol. We've been digging about 10 times and all we seem to find is buried cans. Is the coinmaster even capable of finding good stuff? I know its a beginners model so I've been curious about that. A lot of its probably user error as well :laughing7:. Thanks again and if anyone from this area has any good ideas on where to go please :help:. Dawgsfan

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I hunt in Knoxville all the time, and you nailed it by saying you find things in the yards. There was a strong CW presence in Knox, and some of my best finds have come from the yards that other guys seem to overlook. Knock on those doors, there is no telling what you'll find :)

Gold Ninja

Greenie
Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this thread is old

I used to live in Knoxville before I moved to east TN but I still hunt there quite a bit. I would be more than happy to help you out. Please send me a PM and we can talk.

Treasure Hound, I passed over this thread, and I know its old, but and I am in the same boat as dawgsfan. I live in knoxville, cedar bluff to be exact, and I also just started metal detecting about a week ago, and I have been just checking my yard. I have a gold bug pro and I have found alot of junk and about 48 cents. I think my yard was used for the dumping site when they built the neighborhood because I have found what looks like a steel or iron beam, a long thin piece of aluminum, and a metal pole, and I am still feeling the pain from trying to dig them :) Not sure where to hunt in knoxville. I grew up in Kingsport, TN, where I remember a couple of creeks there that us kids use to fish and play in that I would love to try, but I don't know of any creeks around here or historic land that would be allowable to hunt on. Any help you may have TR would be greatly appreciated!
thanks,
Gold Ninja

Last edited:

Gold Ninja

Greenie
Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Dawgsfan, Looks like we are neighbors. Have you found any decent places here in knoxville to hunt since you posted this?
thanks,
Gold Ninja

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took a spin in Tyson Park while in Knoxville on business. You need a pick axe to dig in the area I was in. I was using a 31" Sampson T handle and couldn't dig more that 1-2 inches. I was using a Tejon and the park had so much trash and canslaw I only hunted about 30 min before calling it quits. I have people tell me that only parts of Knoxville are that difficult to dig in. Good luck there is great history in the area!

Last edited:

systemrobot

Jun 25, 2012
Fountain city park is decent. I pulled 4 super nice wheats from the center of the largest trees in the park not long ago with a whites prism 2. If Yall wanna get together I have a mapped out honey hole ill never cover on my own.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread