limegoldconvertible68

Mar 18, 2009
Illiniois
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 11"DD coil, CZ-21 with 10" coil, Fisher 1265X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonder When We Hit "Peak Silver"

I always hear talk about how we are close to getting "peak oil" meaning most of it has been found and then it a slow decline until nothing is left. At some point the same thing has to happen to the silver in the ground. Looking at the "todays finds" its easy to find many people still finding hundreds of silvers a year. I know in the three years I have been running my F70 my silver numbers have gone up every year and this year is my best start ever. I stand a chance at breaking the coveted 100 mark. With all the top dollar machines out there right now it would seem that at some point soon the silver has to start drying up. I know I have now reached the point where some of my favorite places aren't worth the effort anymore. Its a scary thought to ponder that most places are out of silver. Will the next round of machines bring these places back to life or is the end of silver of possibility in the next few years?

Upvote 0

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Wonder When We Hit "Peak Silver"

I usually head south on my road trips, but if I ever make it that far north I'll be sure to remember this thread and let you know. The closest I think I will be in that direction this year is Pittsburgh.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bazinga said:
I usually head south on my road trips, but if I ever make it that far north I'll be sure to remember this thread and let you know. The closest I think I will be in that direction this year is Pittsburgh.

Well I'm in Charlotte NC, your welcome to try your luck around here...
As for your DFX comment, well maybe your Minelab is better, and I have never personally gone up against a Minelab, but I generally do better than the next guy....
I had a guy tell me once that he had seen several people with a DFX but I was the only one who really
seemed to get a lot out of it, the others were giving up and selling theirs...
I've been using mine for almost 10 years... and in that time I've dug a lot of lot of stuff including a lot of silver.
What I would like is a side by side comparison.... you get a signal, and I see if I can get it also,
If I can't and you still dig a silver coin, then my machine is crap, if I get all your signals
and you dig silver then it's just how I hunt, not my machine.

But the question was not weather you could dig silver, or even consistently, it was weather there was more silver in the ground today than the halfway point of "Peak Silver"
and the obvious answer is no..... doesn't mater what machine you have or how much silver you dig.... there is not near as much silver now as there has been in the past, not by a long shot... Peak Silver is over....

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other

I own both machines. Havent used the dfx in a couple years, it's worthless for the kind of hunting that I do (deep silver).
Always wondered how it would work with a nice aftermarket coil like the 10X12 SEF.

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other

So the question is.

What detectors would you suggest in the ranges of and what depths would you expect to see from them? I was pondering either a Garrett 350 with an larger coil for depth or maybe a Garrett AT pro if I have enough cash. I plan on mainly hunting around homes, old buildings, parks and beaches around the lake.

$350
$500
$750
$1000
$1250
$1500

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other

The_EE said:
So the question is.

What detectors would you suggest in the ranges of and what depths would you expect to see from them? I was pondering either a Garrett 350 with an larger coil for depth or maybe a Garrett AT pro if I have enough cash. I plan on mainly hunting around homes, old buildings, parks and beaches around the lake.

$350
$500
$750
$1000
$1250
$1500

No sir. The question was peak silver and the answer is Long Frikin Gone. Oh well......so be it.......machine not withstanding.....

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030

gleaner1 said:
Watertown NY just pm me, I need a good education if you pass thru town someday.....If you can find any silver coins in my parks, I will be floored.

i thought i pounded a picnic grove ta death with my garretts, even gridded it out last year. then i got an etrac at thanksgiving and dug 25 wheaties and a dozen silvers including a walker half and franklin from there. then i hit another park i frequently hunt and pulled 2 deep coppers (1797 bust cent and a king george halfpenny) along with a nice 1876 seated quarter, standing liberty quarter and a couple mercs. that first month with the etrac i dug 17 silvers, 2 old coppers, 2 .925 rings, 25 wheaties and about 20 bucks in clad from 2 sites i hunted alot......needless ta say i sold my GTI

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The_EE said:
So the question is.

$350
$500
$750
$1000
$1250
$1500

Used Explorer. At this point in time I'd rather own 3 use explorers than a new E-trac. When I find a machine I like, I buy a backup of the same machine.

OP
OP
L

limegoldconvertible68

Mar 18, 2009
Illiniois
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 11"DD coil, CZ-21 with 10" coil, Fisher 1265X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bazinga, you illustrate my original point I am trying to make. Sure, you are currently pulling 10 dimes a day out of hard hit places. You seem to be much better with your machine than others. But after you hit an area, do you really believe you left another 10 dimes behind in that same area? Surely that spot is just about done because as you have mentioned the casual guys you hunt with already can't pull anything out of that spot. I am finding that many places around me that have had so many Etracs, Explorers, F75's and V3 run over them that quite frankly they are hardly worth detecting anymore.

ds6191

Dec 29, 2007
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

If I was new and was considering this hobby, I think this thread would have made me change my mind. I guess I'll just forget about getting that new machine and take up a different hobby. :tongue3: Dan

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

limegoldconvertible68 said:
Bazinga, you illustrate my original point I am trying to make. Sure, you are currently pulling 10 dimes a day out of hard hit places. You seem to be much better with your machine than others. But after you hit an area, do you really believe you left another 10 dimes behind in that same area? Surely that spot is just about done because as you have mentioned the casual guys you hunt with already can't pull anything out of that spot. I am finding that many places around me that have had so many Etracs, Explorers, F75's and V3 run over them that quite frankly they are hardly worth detecting anymore.

To be honest, I usually don't go back to the same spots over and over with the same machine. But if I get a new machine that is a TRUE upgrade over my previous machine, I would definitely go back to all of my old spots that turned up gobs of silver. But, it's still unbelievable just how many times you can go over a spot and somehow miss a 6" silver dime with no trash to get in the way. I have MANY spots that I know are absolutely loaded with more coins, but my machine just can't get between all of the nails / trash and see through it all. It gets a lot of them, but certainly not all. With those spots, I always go back to and try different settings and coils and can usually find more silver in spots I've had my coil go over 50 times already. It's still there in these parks. The real matter is finding the right detector to help you find it.

Have you tried using an Explorer? One of my detecting buds that I detect with most weekends sold his F75 after hunting with me side by side. I had an 8" deep silver hit that he could not hear no matter how he changed his settings. He tried everything he could think of it and still didn't pick up what was an obvious coin to me. It ended up being 2 silver dimes and a wheat penny. There was no trash or iron around it to get in the way, either. He sold his machine the next day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread