Decisions decisions

StLouBrew

Jan 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello from Missouri,
I have been kicking the idea around for sometime now about buying a new entry level MD. After mentioning this to my family, my dad brings this ole dinosaur over. He bought this off my uncle years ago and never used it. I don't know much about detectors but would like to learn. I have been trying to find info on this thing, hoping to either learn on it or lay it back in it's case and start with a brand new detector. This Sears model was apparently made by Whites, and it is in very nice condition. I was surprised that the re chargable battery pack even took a charge. I do have the original manual dated 1978. I am not sure if its worth the time to try and figure this thing out or start with a modern detector. Thanks for any info?

45 year old newbie Steve
002-5.jpg

005-5.jpg

001-4.jpg

Upvote 0

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks like it just came out of the box someone on this forum might want to trade?

Jonnie

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Lesche...
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd get something new, but it's in immaculate condition!!! Wow.

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Test it out with some targets you bury yourself in a known clear area. If it responds to your satisfaction, go with the flow! Like baywalker said, though, it may be worth something from an "oldie" standpoint, especially in its' apparent great condition. Personally, I wouldn't put too much faith in the batteries just yet. They are probably NiCads and may not last long in use.....just don't depend on them without some testing.

Welcome to TNet and a great new pastime!

bootyhoundpa

Oct 1, 2010
Detector(s) used
excal-1000,sov-gt,5900di-pro,gta-1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it looks simular to the earlier whites 6000s.... hey,what do ya got to lose...the price was right...study the owners manual,take it out into your back yard and let the games begin....my 1st detector was simular to that one but didnt have the meter...it was a good 1st detector...found alot of coins with it..the coil on mine went bad and i sold it for $15.00 at a yard sale which come to think of it is what i paid for it at another yard sale...

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a great old machine that will find treasure down to about 10" in all metal with ease! Trouble is, a new $160.00 Tesoro Compadre (which is turn on and go), is about 1/3 the weight of that dinosaur, and will find small gold targets that machine will walk over. Somebody here will offer you bucks for that machine as a collectors item. I would, but then I would have to move down another floor in the basement of the doghouse, and I hate moving! :laughing7:

StLouBrew said:
Hello from Missouri,
I have been kicking the idea around for sometime now about buying a new entry level MD. After mentioning this to my family, my dad brings this ole dinosaur over. He bought this off my uncle years ago and never used it. I don't know much about detectors but would like to learn. I have been trying to find info on this thing, hoping to either learn on it or lay it back in it's case and start with a brand new detector. This Sears model was apparently made by Whites, and it is in very nice condition. I was surprised that the re chargable battery pack even took a charge. I do have the original manual dated 1978. I am not sure if its worth the time to try and figure this thing out or start with a modern detector. Thanks for any info?

45 year old newbie Steve
002-5.jpg

005-5.jpg

001-4.jpg

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I bought a Whites 6000 in the 70's, when there were no digital machines. It was an excellent machine then, and it still is. Your detector, as a starter machine I wouldn't have a bit of qualms using it. I still have mine, and it's the one I turn the grand kids out with, or use as a loaner. I found lots of good stuff with mine, read the book, learn how to ground balance and then keep your coil low and level. That is a motion detector, so the coil has to be moving to make a hit, and your sweep can be relatively fast if I'm remembering properly.

OP
OP
S

StLouBrew

Jan 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys, for the info and tips!
I am off work until Monday so I guess I will see what I can do with this. I'll go easy on it since it may be a collector's item. I will still be looking for a new detector that will pick up on the gold rings in the near future and maybe use this as a back up or loaner. Now I gotta get extra batteries and a sharp digging tool.

Steve

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is not a motion detector from what I remember, just straight TR for the discrimination. Later models had both TR discrim. and a further click position to enable GEB discrimination (GEB DISC) which at this time did require a faster than normal sweep to operate.

On wet salt you will need to switch into the TR discrim. mode and adjust the discrimination level up until it JUST balances out the positive effects of the salt. Set a fraction to high and you'll lose the good stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread