Using headphones, what about rattle snakes?

Twisted One

Apr 18, 2011
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went on my first real hunt with my metal detector a couple weeks ago. We ended up in an abandoned mine area which is on BLM land. While running my detector through the bushes and around the large piles of rocks, I started thinking about rattle snakes.

I know it isn't a big rattle snake time of year here, but the weather had been rather unseasonably warm that week. Needless to say once that idea popped into my mind I took my headphones off for the rest of the day.

I never really thought about it, but I assume wearing headphones in this type of environment is probably just a bad idea? Anyone have any thoughts?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

Twisted One

Apr 18, 2011
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Grandpa was a long time prospector in areas from Grants Pass Oregon, to Arizona some where. He always carried an old .22 caliber pepperbox derringer with snake shot in it.

Not sure if he ever had to use it, or how often, but it was the only gun I remember him carrying and was one of the coolest guns I had ever seen. Wish I would have gotten it when he passed away, it was a strong memory I had with him.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do not have a high opinion of "snake load" pistol ammo. They are no.12 birdshot and only "deadly" at about 1 to 2 feet... much closer than I want to get to a rattler that may be 4 feet long. I carry an S & W mod.19 with .357 ammo in it. I will shoot just under a snake and will fully expect the small pebbles and sand to be just as or more effective than the birdshot. That means I am also loaded for bigger varmints without having to "select" which cylinder I must use. TTC

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
never hit while detecting, but fishing a timber got me in the arm,,, and once a copper nailed my leg, lot of close encounters with cotton mouths

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here in N.Y. state rattle snakes are protected ???,just west of Corning N.Y. on RT 17, an 80 yr. old man got out of his car and almost steped on a rattler.
He beat it up with his cane and almost got arested.....the conservation cop took it to the vet. and the old man had to pay the bill :BangHead:
That was in our newspaper true story.

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G.A.P.metal said:
Here in N.Y. state rattle snakes are protected ???,just west of Corning N.Y. on RT 17, an 80 yr. old man got out of his car and almost steped on a rattler.
He beat it up with his cane and almost got arested.....the conservation cop took it to the vet. and the old man had to pay the bill :BangHead:
That was in our newspaper true story.

That makes me mad. Poor guy....bless his heart....not fair

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
GAPmetal, there is a small band of rattlers in the upper east end of the Adirondacks also. One of the smallest pockets known. It's amazing they can survive the terrible brutal winters in those mountains.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Terry c, My "snake" loads are the multipurpose kind, actually a .410 loaded with a copper slug backed with BB shot. Very effective in test shots at paper targets. Not required in field yet. Frank

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Frankn said:
Terry c, My "snake" loads are the multipurpose kind, actually a .410 loaded with a copper slug backed with BB shot. Very effective in test shots at paper targets. Not required in field yet. Frank
Yes. In the .410 size.... not a true pistol calibre, you are good to go. Trouble is, in my mind, unless loaded into a Bulldog or such, you don't have enough rounds! The shotgun, in .12 gauge is the ULTIMATE defense consideration... if you feel you must carry the weight. I have always been an advocate of the .12 gauge loaded with no.6 shot (twice) then no 4 buck for the house. No.6 shot will not penetrate walls well, keeping other occupants (family) safe, yet will open a DEADLY wound at 4 to 12 feet, the length of a living room or distance to the front door. Well, that's enough... off subject... I'm talking of another kind of varmint! TTC

pennies

Mar 31, 2008
I am deaf and have been making and using a bright red LED adapter that plugs into the headphone jack on my old Groundhog .instead of sound it causes the LED to glow very brightly and it also could be used to keep you aware of what is near Snakes, Dogs, Bears, Inlaws, Crips , Bloods or even the feared groundskeeper.
I found the plans for this adapter by doing a search for "Deaf Metal Detecting."

For more information I can be reached at [email protected]

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Green Mojave rattlel snake is very unpredictable. It may or may NOT rattle. I will also chase after you.
The worst thing is ,currently their is NO antivenom if you get bit by a Green Mojave rattler. :read2:

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
In the wilderness I carry my revolver...permit of course and a long WW2 bayonet on my belt that is razor sharp. Have killed only one snake thus far.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread