Upvote 0

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you after coins or relics? If you are coin shooting or looking for non ferrous targets try upping the discrimination. Save one of the nails and air test your detector while increasing the discrimination till the nail is nulled out and doesnt give a signal. I dont know your machine, but if you are not hunting in the all metal mode then the nails and other iron targets should null out already.

One of the best things for new detectors is reading the owners manual till you know it cover to cover and understand everything your detector can do.

Keep us posted on your hunts there 8)

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
I've worked former cemetaries and hit those former gravespots where decayed coffins were removed. Amazing how much metal can be left behinid by a pine box. The upside was that I found a few nice pieces of iron ornamentation from the original gravesites that could be reunited with the new grave site and helped form a better picture of the original site.

Careful though, found a finger bone with a ring on it once... Tiger's Eye stone. enchanted stuff, spooky ooohhh ahhhh!

Dig that iron or listen to True Metal, disc it out. Be sure to test the disc ability of your machine with desireable targets also to make sure you're not losing depth while discing.

OP
OP
R

ranger ricky

IM reminded quite often on here to read and read the manual, good advice as I hunt more and re read more what IM reading is soaking in. I view this hobby as paying your dues good things will come to those that dig a lot of wire and nails! lets not forget canned meat cans!

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Guys--I'm really not Mr. Ethics, believe me, but I think common decency is to not detect a cemetary. I would never do so. I've detected church grounds around a cemetary. Unless you are talking about a site like Lowbatts said where it USED to be a cemetary, that would seem to be ok.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
agread,it no longer has off limits on it if people forgot about it or dont know or care about it then you do these people a favor by keeping"the place alive"at least in your mind or others you tell about it so pun intended!my 2 cents DEKALB33 ;D

OP
OP
R

ranger ricky

i understand the ethical issue, I'm in a place u cant get to except on atv, and I justify it by the fact, the area is left better than when I arrived also i do think about these people and read as much as i can on the markers and for a short tI'me i do visit with them with more than a few swings, im speaking of sites from 1800S civil war era, that haven't seen a brier saw or swing blade since the depression era. your right this is a close call and each has to be sure when we leave that the foot prints left behind aren't shallow excuses

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions