Going to Sullivans Island, South Carolina to MD - next door to Ft. Moultrie!

bigrush828

Aug 7, 2010
Northwest Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Going to Sullivan's Island, South Carolina to MD - next door to Ft. Moultrie!

Going here on my honeymoon for a week in May, and yes, the little lady is ok with me detecting on our honeymoon...haha.

Can anyone give me some advice/pointers for hunting on the beach in SC, specifically Sullivan's Island and Ft Moultrie? I don't want to get too close to the fort, but close enough to be in a stones throwing distance...is this a bad idea? The cottage we are renting is literally next door to Ft Moultrie.

Upvote 0

cooperriver

Greenie
Dec 4, 2010
Re: Going to Sullivan's Island, South Carolina to MD - next door to Ft. Moultrie!

You will not be able to metal detect within 500 yards of the fort. I live down here and it is a big no no. You will be
fined-arrested or just given a warning. It will be the rangers choice. Plus your equipment taken away.
There are plenty of places to metal detect here in SC and the Charleston area but not around the forts.
A good place would be breeches inlet. No historic structures there but plenty of activity during the civil war.
Breeches inlet was where the CSS Hunley left from on her fatefull night. Can you say beech hunting.
Isle of palms is also available to hunt.
Sorry for the bad news I had to deliver. Good luck on your honeymoon.

Cooperriver

OP
OP
bigrush828

bigrush828

Aug 7, 2010
Northwest Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Going to Sullivan's Island, South Carolina to MD - next door to Ft. Moultrie!

cooperriver said:
You will not be able to metal detect within 500 yards of the fort. I live down here and it is a big no no. You will be
fined-arrested or just given a warning. It will be the rangers choice. Plus your equipment taken away.
There are plenty of places to metal detect here in SC and the Charleston area but not around the forts.
A good place would be breeches inlet. No historic structures there but plenty of activity during the civil war.
Breeches inlet was where the CSS Hunley left from on her fatefull night. Can you say beech hunting.

Cooperriver

500 yds? are you kidding man? the place I am staying is literally next door, but I think its closer than 500 yds. This is private property I will be staying on, does that make a difference?

Is Sullivan's Island good for detecting at all? I would like to detect on the beach and just around where I am staying. Thanks for the advice!!

OP
OP
bigrush828

bigrush828

Aug 7, 2010
Northwest Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
Other

cooperriver said:

Cooperriver

having second thoughts on ft moultrie...haha....so, if you were me, where would you stay in SC for good metal detecting? I want to be able to walk from my house to the beach or where ever and just MD with no issues. Looking into Isle of palms, as you suggested.

cooperriver

Greenie
Dec 4, 2010

Fort Moultrie is part of the national park service. Sullivans Island has a history dating from 1776 to 1947. It was used to protect Charleston and its harbor. No diving or relic hunting within 500 yards of the fort.
If I were you and wish to continue this endeavor I would give the Sullivans Island police a call and ask about metal
detecting around the fort. Just so you do not get busted and jailed on your honeymoon.By the way Breeches inlet is located on the north end of sullivans island.
The inlet is a waterway between sullivans island and isle of palms. Both are rich in history as well as folly beach and morris island.
For morris Island you would need a boat to get there. Battery Wagner is on the island. Nothing left there for fortification but probably a very good place to hunt. But you need a boat. I want to go there but at present I do not have a boat. Most of the fort what is left is probably in the water now.
You need to use google earth and get a satellite view of the area. Good luck.

Cooperriver

cooperriver

Greenie
Dec 4, 2010

I would try Isle of Palms area as they have places on the beach. This beach is a little upbeat. A lot nicer and cleaner
than Folly beach. However Folly is a busy beach. A lot of detectorists go there to hunt the beach.
Something that most detectorists do not know is there were @ 10,000 union troops on the island during the civil war. They used the island to spy on Charleston and on the north end of the island they built up a battery line to take Battery Wagner.
Battery Wagner was keeping them from retaking Charleston and Fort Sumter. When Wagner fell charleston fell.
Folly Beach has a very nice Holiday Inn on the beach. No restrictions on detecting except at the county park. Beach is open to detect to your hearts content. You have a lot of beach to detect. More than you could cover on your honeymoon.
There is also a long pier near the hotel, which belongs to the county.
If you google earth you will see the pier and the hotel.
Sorry for all the history.
Good luck.

Cooperriver

OP
OP
bigrush828

bigrush828

Aug 7, 2010
Northwest Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
Other

cooperriver said:
I would try Isle of Palms area as they have places on the beach. This beach is a little upbeat. A lot nicer and cleaner
than Folly beach. However Folly is a busy beach. A lot of detectorists go there to hunt the beach.
Something that most detectorists do not know is there were @ 10,000 union troops on the island during the civil war. They used the island to spy on Charleston and on the north end of the island they built up a battery line to take Battery Wagner.
Battery Wagner was keeping them from retaking Charleston and Fort Sumter. When Wagner fell charleston fell.
Folly Beach has a very nice Holiday Inn on the beach. No restrictions on detecting except at the county park. Beach is open to detect to your hearts content. You have a lot of beach to detect. More than you could cover on your honeymoon.
There is also a long pier near the hotel, which belongs to the county.
If you google earth you will see the pier and the hotel.
Sorry for all the history.
Good luck.

Cooperriver

don't be sorry! I am a HUGE history buff, and most of the things you mentioned are only attainable through a "local" with local knowledge!

What about Kiawah (interesting history there) or Edisto?

Thank you all so much for the advice! I need to get this trip solidified ASAP.

cooperriver

Greenie
Dec 4, 2010

Your question about Kiawah Island.
That would be an excellent place to honeymoon. But bring your wallet as it is exspensive. Have not heard much
about detecting out there. It is an exclusive area for the well todo. The history around Kiawah deals mostly with the Kiawah indians. Some troop encampments on the north end from the civil war. A lot of areas on Kiawah are considered
wildlife refuge such as egg laying grounds for sea turtles and the like. Very exclusive place. Contractors doing work out there must pay 5 bucks just to get in the gate and get to work--daily.
Edisto island also a good place to go. Its a bit far for me to go and plenty of beach to metal detect. A lot of tourists
go there as it is not so expensive to go. Some areas are considered part of state park but do not know where they are.
Lots of civil war activity around Edisto.
I can not help you much with edisto as I dont go there.

Cooperriver

OP
OP
bigrush828

bigrush828

Aug 7, 2010
Northwest Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
Other

cooperriver said:
Your question about Kiawah Island.
That would be an excellent place to honeymoon. But bring your wallet as it is exspensive. Have not heard much
about detecting out there. It is an exclusive area for the well todo. The history around Kiawah deals mostly with the Kiawah indians. Some troop encampments on the north end from the civil war. A lot of areas on Kiawah are considered
wildlife refuge such as egg laying grounds for sea turtles and the like. Very exclusive place. Contractors doing work out there must pay 5 bucks just to get in the gate and get to work--daily.
Edisto island also a good place to go. Its a bit far for me to go and plenty of beach to metal detect. A lot of tourists
go there as it is not so expensive to go. Some areas are considered part of state park but do not know where they are.
Lots of civil war activity around Edisto.
I can not help you much with edisto as I dont go there.

Cooperriver

Thanks! We are leaning towards Folly Beach. It seems to have a nice balance of price, beach activity, and Civil War history. You think that's my best option based on what I've told you?

cooperriver

Greenie
Dec 4, 2010

Things you need to think about.
When are you planning to go on your honeymoon. And what type of detector do you have?
You need to look at the tide tables during your proposed time.
As for honeymoon place to stay--the choice is yours. You will see quite a few detectorists at Folly.
Most go for the sandy areas up to the point of becoming wet sand--where they stop.
You might even see me out there with my Infinium LS.
Let me know if you need any help.

Cooperriver

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread