Borrowing a metal detector for a couple days

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
what are you going to be looking for, and in what type environment?

Eg.: individual coins and fumble-finger losses? Or perhaps you're on a clue for a large item?

whatever it is you're expecting to find, take sample targets like that, put them out in a clean stretch of ground (like a sandbox where you're sure there's no underlying rebar, or chicken screen mesh, etc... and try the targets at all different depths, swing speeds, machine settings, etc... Make note of the sounds with the variations of settings and speeds. Also do the same with junk target: Nails of various sizes, coins, large iron objects like a RR spike or wrench, cans of various sizes and compositions, your wedding ring, tabs, foil wads of diff. sizes, etc... And even put them in close proximety so you can get the sense of what a cluttered mix target area would be like, etc....

richbat

Apr 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre/GPP/Lesche/Bomb Sheath
Really right here on this site you should be able to find all the info.you want on the machine.See if you can do a search for the manual online so you know how the machine works,checkout some of the videos on Youtube or again right here but most of all try and get familiar with the machine like someone already posted on here,but most of all have fun and good luck with your search.

OP
OP
The_EE

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
Georges Minelab Safari said:
Dont forget to turn it on.

Well I used it a little.

Found something that I dont know what it is, didnt clean it up.

Found a penny, didnt clean it up yet.

Found something that kept chiming ring, quarter, dollar and I went down about 6-7 inches and the shovel I was using sucks. Could not seem to get anywhere near the signal though it never moved.

I am going to find the instructions online tonight and look them over. I am not sure I set the discrimination and depth right. I think I could enjoy this though but I need the right digging tools.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Garrets web site has all the instruction manuals on there web site and has one there for your detector the GTA 1350........ Look it up and read the manual on line....

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The_EE said:
GTA 350 Garrett.

Anything I should know about this model besides it needs 8 AA batteries? :D
Check out YouTube videos!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread