Electrolysis Cleaning 101

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dug up this 1902 V nickel yesterday. it took only about 25 minutes of electrolysis to get it looking better!

Electrolysis is one of the best ways to clean a dug old nickel. All is need is a 9 volt 300mA adaptor, plastic or glass
bowl, table salt, warm water, stainless steel spoon, and two alligator clips attached to wires after you cut off the plug.

Attachments

• Electrolysis cleaning 001.JPG
    Electrolysis cleaning 001.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 808
  • Electrolysis cleaning 002.JPG
    Electrolysis cleaning 002.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 802
  • Electrolysis cleaning 001.JPG
    Electrolysis cleaning 001.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 648
  •  V Nickel cleaned rev014.jpg
    V Nickel cleaned rev014.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 653
  •  V Nickel cleaned013.jpg
    V Nickel cleaned013.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 620
  •  V Nickel revere012.jpg
    V Nickel revere012.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 572
  •  V Nickel011.jpg
    V Nickel011.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 622
  • Electrolysis cleaning 003.JPG
    Electrolysis cleaning 003.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 768
  • Electrolysis cleaning 004.JPG
    Electrolysis cleaning 004.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 744
Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice post as most guys don't know how to clean coins. One member asked me about using steel wool to scrub the coins to make them shinny.

Nirros

Jan 8, 2012
Dexter, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
8.5x11
5x8
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont use stainless steel spoon.....the sludge it creates is toxic. I was corrected on this a a few weeks ago and upon further research I found this to be true

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You should use stainless steel as an anode. All electrolysis systems use stainless steel as an anode and to wrap or attach the coin or object to be cleaned. I am sure there is some bad stuff created. Also do not use table salt, use sodium carbonate-washing soda, which can be found in the clothes washing section of the super market, or if you cannot find it, bake a cup of sodium bicarbonate-baking soda, in your oven at 350 for a hour, spread out on an aluminum sheet. The reason why is salt, table salt is corrosive, and sodium carbonate is not, usually you are trying to remove salts with reverse electroysis, so why use table salt? You are actually corroding the coin with table salt. It will work as about any salt will to become an electrolyte, but it is a known corrosive, and there are better electrolytes.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I prefer the vibrating type units used to clean cartridge cases. I use various cleaners, but powered walnut shells is among the best. Slow, but gives a smooth finish, not that acid etched look. I do use the electrolysis method on iron though as a starting point in conserving it. Frank

mick56

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATPro
Is electrolosis preferable to just throwing the coin in the tumbler? On a dug coin, which basically has no numismatic value anyway? When I dig an old wheat, I just tumble them with the rest of the cents.

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a charger from an old cell phone for electrolysis on coins. I do that sometimes on not valuable ones to get some detail. I use a shot of lemon juice in the water too. Here is a pic of two coins which i could identify after cleaning with electrolysis.

Attachments

• CIMG4935_800_600.JPG
    CIMG4935_800_600.JPG
    196.6 KB · Views: 622
  • CIMG4935_800_600.JPG
    CIMG4935_800_600.JPG
    196.6 KB · Views: 492

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My guess is that electrolysis "gives back" the metal to the coin that's lost by oxidationl then you can tumble them if you'd like.

I put mine in my pocket with the rest of my change to rattle around - just don't spend them!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bum Luck, Electrolysis Remover the tarnished metal. That is why they look so pitted when you are finished. I only use it on old iron relics. They look good pitted. I prefer a vibrator with a media softer than the coin like walnt shell. It takes longer but the results are superior. Frank

Cleetus

Oct 24, 2011
Salt Lake City, Ut.
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Radoishack here i come Good Lord!.... Don't go give Radio Shack their 10,000% profit. Just grab about any old wall transformer you have and cut the ends off of the plug off the DC output end . You probably have dozens of junk ones already from Cell phones, Computers, everything now days. They are usually always in the 6-18 volt DC output range which is what you want. Go to a thrift store if you have to and they will have boxes of them for 50 cents each.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
OR, use your battery charger. If it has a 6V position, use that. But 12 volts will work . Frank

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn said:
Bum Luck, Electrolysis Remover the tarnished metal. That is why they look so pitted when you are finished. I only use it on old iron relics. They look good pitted. I prefer a vibrator with a media softer than the coin like walnt shell. It takes longer but the results are superior. Frank

I gotta disagree with you. Electrolysis redeposits the metal in oxidation. The result isn't perfect, but look at how it works for Spanish cobs.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Usually when cobs are cleaned, they use muratic acid. IF they are cleaned with Reverse Electrolysis, they use sodium carbonate as an electrolyte, not table salt. And this is controlled using a certain Specific gravity method of mixing the sodium carbonate in the water amount. Also they use a voltage and amperage/wattage controller. Each piece uses and needs a different amount of current to clean. It is not so much the voltage, it is the amps-current-pressure, etc that is the problem. Any more and it will erode the metal, same with table salt, it is very corrosive. Any metal salt will create an electrolyte, but table salt should not be used. This way with salt and noncontrolled current is bad, and should not be used. And could be a fire hazard, the little cell phone chargers and other small transformers are not meant to be under a full load shortout. They could get very hot and start a fire. Remember they still have 120 volts and 20+ amps available to them, and if shorted out could cause a real problem. And Bum Luck, reverse Electrolysis removes metal. It will remove corrosion and dirt and any buildup, but if used with too strong an electrolyte or strong current or too long a bath, it can and will erode the good metal. The calmer and slower the RE is, the easier it is to make sure there is no erosion of good metal. You just want to turn it up until you have a light fizzing of the object. Like I said it is a good method if done right, but can ruin a good coin or other object. Acid, if diluted right can work a lot better. And not erode good metal. Gold, silver and copper are not effected by muratic acid.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Drop a crusty red nickle in worcheshire sauce and leave it overnight. It will be dull, but nickle colored in the morning.

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this multipurpose solid state car battery charger and electrolysis machine at the local pawn shop for $7
image.jpg

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The negative wire should be attached to the item being cleaned. If the positive wire is connected to the item, the metal (anode) that the negative wire is connected to will transfer to the item being cleaned. The current travels from the negative to the positive. When the negative wire is connected to the item, the current pushes the dirt and crud off the item towards the anode (positive).

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew some day I could build a rocket too many varied opinions

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread