Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Re: America's first coin?

Iron Patch said:
At least two found in the last 6-7 years. This one in VA, and another in NJ.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,54406.0.html

I don't do the 'random metal detecting random areas' thing but when I do hit an older or historic area that's known to have human habitation going back a long time, that coin, right there, is a perfect example of why I don't dig with metallic diggers. The extra 10 seconds I might save with a kbar or a lesche will be washed away in a river of sorrowful tears that one time I dig a 1909S-VDB and proceed to put a gash across its surface.

One of the strongest arguments detectorists have working for them is that- in spite of whatever theoretical flight of fancy the 'academics' might present about in-situ preservation- basic common sense dictates that history is better off recovered than left to rot away in the earth. Problem is, every time I see some monkey armed with a Lesche destroy a rare coin or artifact that's been sitting peacefully in the ground for 200 years until they came along, it stands as a counter-point to that argument.

Detecting is about chasing that rainbow, hitting the one jackpot when the stars align, lightning strikes and you find something really, really good. That's what it's all about. The pull tabs and zincolns and can slaw is simply the price we must pay to get there. We don't get many of those, either. A few in our lives, maybe, if we're lucky... and when we do get there, as we plunge that lesche into the hole and desecrate whatever's down there, a decade worth of MD'ing dues goes out the window.

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:

well I initially did a search on this site for "1792 half Disme" I didn't find anything... that because I spelled it "dimse" so I posted this thread... now That I found my mistake there are several threads about this glorious coin... I am surprised is that any have been found with such a low mint count, but people lose EVERYTHING it seems. so it gives me how that anything can be found even a coin as rare as this one.

Thank you for correcting me.

Chukers

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

LSMorgan said:
Iron Patch said:

I don't do the 'random metal detecting random areas' thing but when I do hit an older or historic area that's known to have human habitation going back a long time, that coin, right there, is a perfect example of why I don't dig with metallic diggers. The extra 10 seconds I might save with a kbar or a lesche will be washed away in a river of sorrowful tears that one time I dig a 1909S-VDB and proceed to put a gash across its surface.

One of the strongest arguments detectorists have working for them is that- in spite of whatever theoretical flight of fancy the 'academics' might present about in-situ preservation- basic common sense dictates that history is better off recovered than left to rot away in the earth. Problem is, every time I see some monkey armed with a Lesche destroy a rare coin or artifact that's been sitting peacefully in the ground for 200 years until they came along, it stands as a counter-point to that argument.

Detecting is about chasing that rainbow, hitting the one jackpot when the stars align, lightning strikes and you find something really, really good. That's what it's all about. The pull tabs and zincolns and can slaw is simply the price we must pay to get there. We don't get many of those, either. A few in our lives, maybe, if we're lucky... and when we do get there, as we plunge that lesche into the hole and desecrate whatever's down there, a decade worth of MD'ing dues goes out the window.

While I understand your rant here and I do agree with it... in some places like here in Texas in the middle of summer the ground gets so hard you can't dig with anything less than a Lesche or a Shovel... in fact I bent my full sized shovel blade several times trying to dig into the hard dry Texas soil, and in the end the blade cracked and broke because of this punishment... so some of do not have a choice but use harsh tools to get at our treasures.

Chukers

smcdmc

Aug 12, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 500, Teknetics G2, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

LSMorgan said:
Iron Patch said:

No, the problem is they need to learn to pinpoint better. And maybe add an electronic pinpointer to their arsenal.

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II

LSMorgan said:
Iron Patch said:

Just curious, what do you dig with?

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BobinSouthVA said:
LSMorgan said:
Iron Patch said:

If its anything less than heat treated tempered steel down here in Texas you will be breaking it in no time.

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

BobinSouthVA said:

Usually a polymer spade covered in spray-on rubberized undercoating, but do acknowledge that isn't adequate for all circumstances.
There are situations where I'll use a drain spade or kbar if needed, but that's only to cut a large plug around the signal, rather than 'straight into it' as is so standard.

The kbar is seriously dulled, the tip is almost rounded and it too is covered in rubberized undercoating.

justanotherbarber

Jan 30, 2012
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Vaquero, Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

There are many places that if you cut a plug much bigger than the coin, you'll get the bum's rush out of the place. I for one will take the chance on nicking a coin rather than doing more damage to the hobby I have loved for over 30 years.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread