I Finally got a chance to spend some time with my new Whites Prizm IV today.

Dec 16, 2004
Other than trying it out just before dark one evening last week, today was the first time I actually got to spend some time with my Prizm IV. I was pleasantly surprised at how accurate that it would read the depth of an item.

I found a 3 pennies and a dime (all fairly new, no old ones), two bolts and a nut, a lawn mower blade, a couple of smashed flat soft drink cans and quite a few pull tabs. I also found a few small rocks that must have had some iron in them since the detector was picking them up to. These rocks looked black with shiny spots on them that must be mineral deposits I would guess?

At first I was digging items at all depths but when I started getting a little tired I quite doing that and only dug the ones that were approx. 4 inches deep or less. I figured that little park I was in wasn't all that old and if there's any coins in it then they should be closer to the surface.

Anyway it was fun learning how the machine worked and it worked way beyond my expectations. My oldest son received a fairly cheap one as a Christmas present one year and I sorta figured that mine would probably work something like his did. Not So! This thing is accurate and if it says 2 inches that's where it is or if it's reading 4 inches that's where I was finding my stuff at. It was nothing at all like the cheap detector that my son had. I really like that "Pin-Point" mode that the Prizm IV has also, it let's you zoom right in on an object.

Well, I'm going out again tomorrow and see if I can check out some school grounds and maybe a couple of old abandoned houses that I know of if I can get permission to use my detector around them.

I can see how people get hooked on this hobby now. It's exciting wondering what you're going to dig up next. Plus there's a chance, even though it's a slim one, that a person could hit the jackpot which makes it even more interesting. I don't really expect that I'll ever find a box of old gold coins or even a sack of silver ones but you never know it could happen which I believe will keep the hobby interesting to me for a long time to come.

Thanks again to those that took the time to answer my questions over the past few weeks. I'll try to do the same and share what I learn with newbies as I get more experienced also.

Smitty :)

Upvote 0

Zeke

Oct 26, 2004
Jackson Creek,NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Might wanna hang onto those rocks your detector picked up. They "possibly" could be pieces of meteorites. Or......they could be just hot rocks.

OP
OP
S
Dec 16, 2004
I never thought about that! Sheese! I pitched them in the creek woudn't you know it! ::) Wouldn't that be something? My first time out and I find something that might be worth something and what do I do? I throw it in the creek! Why not, that seems to be the story of my life. ???

Smitty :(

M

mrmark55

Hey Smitty,

I wondered how the Prizm IV was as a detector. Don't beat yourself up, we have all lost a few items as we learned. I now keep everything, at least until I get home and can clean the items up and verify for sure what each one is. Is this a great hobby or what? Give us a picture when you get your first good find.....you know, silver, gold etc...
Mr Mark ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions