Lafayette Park, St. Louis, MO 10.6.06

-Jones-

Aug 11, 2005
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab GO-FIND 60 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Friday morning, Oct 6, I stopped by Lafayette Park Located in Lafayette Square, St. Louis, MO. Lafayette Park is the oldest public park west of the Mississippi River and dates from 1836. ::) It's a sprawling park, so much ground, so little time! :'(

The so called "painted ladies" that frame the park have been called the finest and largest collection of Victorian era architecture in the country. ::)

I only had an hour to detect before I had to head west, and as one can see, i real didn't find jack. :o The one coin I did find is deteriorated beyond any identification. Being as small as it is, it sure ain't a large cent! :o

Sittin in the park were 3 cannon guns. The guns are from the British Man of War, Acteon, sunk in the attach on sullivan's island in Charleston Harbor, S.C., June 28, 1776 ::)

Tuesday I'm driving to Omaha, NE, and hope to have at least 2 hours to detect before it gets dark! 8)

Attachments

• Lafayette Park, St. Louis, MO  10.6.06009.JPG
    Lafayette Park, St. Louis, MO 10.6.06009.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 421
  • Finds001.JPG
    Finds001.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 380
  • Lafayette Park, St. Louis, MO  10.6.06003.JPG
    Lafayette Park, St. Louis, MO 10.6.06003.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 364
  • Lafayette Park, St. Louis, MO  10.6.06004.JPG
    Lafayette Park, St. Louis, MO 10.6.06004.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 384
  • Lafayette Park, St. Louis, MO  10.6.06005.JPG
    Lafayette Park, St. Louis, MO 10.6.06005.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 409
Upvote 0

ramjet2187

Nov 29, 2005
North Central Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT
Ric, great shots of the homes, and the cannons............it's a shame they've (the guns) been allowed to deteriorate like that.

Oh, well. Can't save the whole world.

Good luck in Omaha!!

Roger

JW

Apr 8, 2005
No. California
Detector(s) used
ML ExII, GPX4000
Are you sure it is legal to search there. Where I live that would be strictly off limits! If it is legal, you may have to do a little trash removal before you can peek at the goodies below, if they are still there. If they are, your in the good stuff!!!

HH

JW

OP
OP
-Jones-

-Jones-

Aug 11, 2005
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab GO-FIND 60 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
JW said:
Are you sure it is legal to search there. Where I live that would be strictly off limits! If it is legal, you may have to do a little trash removal before you can peek at the goodies below, if they are still there. If they are, your in the good stuff!!!

HH

JW

JW,

Life in the Hearthland Region or the MO-KS-NE-IA area is laid back. I'd like to say living isn't as intense as it can be to the east or west. I'll hunt any city park in those 4 states anytime.

And if all I dig is trash on an outing, I'm still thrilled! ;D To be able to get out in the fresh air, look up into the sky, to breath deeply, hear the birds, etc etc, is all I need to get me out again! 8)

JW

Apr 8, 2005
No. California
Detector(s) used
ML ExII, GPX4000
It's pretty mellow here, it just looked historic and out here that is no-go. Its amazing how chill the authorities can be here when they see your md'ing and not doing something dangerous or freaky... But for you it looks like, if it isn't totally hunted out (nothing truly is) you should be finding some good stuff after a little trash removal. Birds, trees, coins from the late 1700's, darn near paradise if you ask me!

HH

JW

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JW said:
Are you sure it is legal to search there. Where I live that would be strictly off limits!

JW, the east and west coasts have been all but destroyed by vapid, useless, grasping, greedy city people who generally have a huge sense of entitlement and a desire to be master of all they survey. Naturally they install themselves in all the decision-making positions, which is why so many places are off-limits to every pastime except leisurely real-estate speculation and recreational overdevelopment >:(

Anyway, neat pics and story, Ric!

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
I "think" Tower Grove park is the only park off limits to metal detectors in the STL area. That park has been deemed historical for one reason or another.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread