Has Anyone Got any stories about using after market Coils and How good they are?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
As gleaner says, larger coils simply go deeper, whether they are the manufacturer's own larger coils, or an aftermarket manufacturer. But be aware, that there are downsides to going to larger coils: more potential for masking, fisher/warblier sounds to try to isolate, poorer pinpointing, and potentially less sensitivity on smaller targets as you get larger and larger. There is a point of diminishing returns on coil sizes, where at a certain point where you no longer get coin-sized targets any deeper. You only get more coverage (with the inherent drawbacks of having gone to a larger coil size, of course). This "point of diminishing returns" is somewhere around 10" coil size, depending on the idiosyncracies of the individual machines in question. Although some machine (like the Sov. wot combo, or perhaps the 12" sunray on some of the explorer series, etc...) do get deeper than the stock coils. But so too would you "go deeper" if you went with the manufacturer's own larger coils.

I highly doubt there is any "superior windings" or innards or whatever, to the aftermarket coils. Because think of it: if there WERE a superior way of making a coil, don't you think the manufacturer himself would be "all over himself" to buy up that technology, and put it on their own stock machines? So usually when you hear of "more depth" on the aftermarket coils, if you look closely, you will see it is merely going to a larger coil.

goodmore

Nov 12, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX / XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always find myself buying a smaller coil for my detectors. he At Pro I got the stock gold coil th 5 x 8. A great coil. The Sovereign I went with the Sunray S-8. Sunray coils are always quality. And for the Etrac I just ordered the NEL Sharpshooter coil. I try to work on the masked targets.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread