Outdoor religious meeting sites?

Dec 16, 2004
You don't need to bother searching if it was a Babtist revival. There's no way they'll lose even one cent. Even if one coin was to hit the ground everybody there would turn to look. Cause the sound of a nickel hitting the gound to a Babtist is like the sound of a manhole cover falling off a truck bed onto a city street. ;D

Smitty

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
That's funny Smitty. But depending on where you are in the country there may be really good sites available from such events. I've found accounts in old papers about such events being suddenly interrupted by torrential storms which might have created opportunities were the sites still available and not developed. Billy Sunday, gospel preacher held tent revivals near here often and those sites have been hunted though not much remains of the original ground.

Think about the early settlers, usually religious and usually stopping on Sundays for services in many parts of the country. They did not have a lot to give but they did occaisonally lose things. My Uncle's farm was such a stopping place for the early settlers in this part of the country. A nearby parsonnage held services for travelers for some years back in the day. A few implements and large cents have come out of his field but his field was an orchard used only by the larger groups, most groups stayed in the neighboring field, closer to the parsonnage.

Find those old crossroads, orchards and groves where early settlers stopped for Sunday during their transits west and they might be good hunt sites.

H

hunting4gold

I too have been looking into these old "CAMP MEETINGS" I am trying to find one such spot in my area where thousands
of people have gathered in these old tent meetings and revivals back in the Mid 1800"s. and they did this year after year so you know there has got to be some goodies there. They are hard to locate because all you have are long fogotten accounts.
You might try some of the records of one of the older churches that might give some directions as to where they might have been. Find the oldest member of the church and they can give you some insight. Alot of time these events where so long ago that they have been forgot about.
Also your local library is a good place to start. Usually there are historical accounts to that kind of stuff.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one lined up for the Spring, been researching sinse the begining of my "Winter Break" Found a book on the camp site & back in the 1800's , they used to throw pennies & once in awhile larger denomination coins in the Sawdust floor, for the kids to find.(They called it Pennies from heaven) of course they told the kids after "This was Gods Money" & had to be put in the collection tray, but , posabilities of missed coins over 150 years of use tell me it's worth a go? :)

Zeke

Oct 26, 2004
Jackson Creek,NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Smitty in Atlanta said:
You don't need to bother searching if it was a Babtist revival. There's no way they'll lose even one cent. Even if one coin was to hit the ground everybody there would turn to look. Cause the sound of a nickel hitting the gound to a Babtist is like the sound of a manhole cover falling off a truck bed onto a city street. ;D

Smitty

I beg to differ Smitty.......

Found these in the front lawn of MY "BAPTIST Church today. Old Fashion, Independent, King James Bible Believing, Hells Hot and Heavens Sweet Church that is. ;D

Could have dug up more but run out of daylight.

Attachments

• churchyard coins.jpg
    churchyard coins.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 129
  • churchyard cent.jpg
    churchyard cent.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 118

cmlmich

Dec 10, 2004
:D :D :D :D Smitty...that is the funniest thing I have read on this forum so far. Thanks for the humor and the laugh! ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread