Garrett pro pointer vs Vibraprobe 580

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have heard many raves about the Garrett pro pointer and personally never used one. However, have seen it in use...and see three disadvantages compared to the Vibra probe 580 which is my pinpointer of choice. First, it is very loud. It draws attention to oneself when using it in a public area especially at a park. It can be heard from quite the distance and would attract unwanted attention from kids or undesirables. The vibraprobe is quiet and uses vibration instead of sound only. Secondly, it is weather resistant, not waterproof like the Vibraprobe which is submersible to 30 feet. That is quite a nice option to have when working around water. Finally, the Vibraprobe is only sensitive on the tip, whereas the the pro pointer is sensitive along the shaft which would seem to make it more difficult to retrieve a target.

Don't take offense because I'm not bashing the pro pointer. It does seem like a great pinpointer and is very popular with metal detectorists. If it had an on/off audio switch and was waterproof, I'd probably get one myself. Everyone has their own preferences. Any thoughts?

Upvote 0

Shambler

Aug 18, 2008
Under the Trees
The vibraprobe is quiet and uses vibration instead of sound only.

The propointer is not sound only and the sound is easily muffled with simple finger placement. No knob to break.

Finally, the Vibraprobe is only sensitive on the tip, whereas the the pro pointer is sensitive along the shaft which would seem to make it more difficult to retrieve a target.

The Propointer is MORE sensitive on the end but because it is so sensitive it gives the appearance that it's detecting along the shaft. I believe the coil is larger, but definitely not all the way up the shaft.

The Propointer also detects depth. The closer you get the faster the vibration and sound. You literally point right at the target.

At our club we tested depth with all of the pinpointers we could come up with. Sunray on a Minelab Explorer was first, Propointer was an easy second, the $15 harbor freight was third, and the rest (including the vibraprobe) were a muddled mess at fourth.

Also, the Vibraprobe is $150 and the Propointer is $127.

I'm not a Garret fan, but they got this pinpointer right.

goodmore

Nov 12, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX / XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Vibraprobe is also a PI detector and it severely interferes with my main detector. Each probe has it shares of pros and cons. The new Minelab probe will have a vibrate only mode.

OP
OP
Newfiehunter

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Shambler!

Thanks for the info. The Garrett propointer does have a couple of advantages over the Vibraprobe. The light and the extra depth are additional bonuses. Maybe I will consider getting one. HH!

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does the Vibraprobe vibrate faster as you get closer to the target? I'm asking because I'm not familiar with the Vibraprobe at all. To me this is the most important feature of the Garrett.

OP
OP
Newfiehunter

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To answer your question, yes it does vibrate faster the closer the tip gets to the target. There is no audio but it does have automatic shut off so there is no worries about forgetting to turn it off...and to turn it on...all you have to do is point the tip upward. Great thing about the vibraprobe is that you can use in water and there are no switches or knobs to worry about. Very durable. Hope that answers your question.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Newfiehunter said:
To answer your question, yes it does vibrate faster the closer the tip gets to the target. There is no audio but it does have automatic shut off so there is no worries about forgetting to turn it off...and to turn it on...all you have to do is point the tip upward. Great thing about the vibraprobe is that you can use in water and there are no switches or knobs to worry about. Very durable. Hope that answers your question.

Sure does. Thanks for the clarification. It sounds like the Vibraprobe is a pretty good pinpointer. I'll add it to my list of recommendations to others. And if I ever need a truly waterproof pinpointer I'll be sure to check it out.

DanRiverMan

Dec 13, 2009
Rockingham County, NC
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC - Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As for the audio on the PP, I wrap my speaker vent with orange electrical tape about a dozen rounds..Spread the wrap out a bit and no problems going in my holster, the orange is so it doesnt get misplaced..That will quiet it right down to almost nothing if you want,depending on the # of turns around...About once a week I take the tape off and clean it, then wrap again..

scott

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
If I ever got another pinpointer and wanted to get the best , It would be the Vibra probe because of it's high quality, no external switches, vibrating notification, detection only at the tip and totally waterproof design. I have the Vibra tector which is similar but is actually a minature detector with a range of 6". Frank

OP
OP
Newfiehunter

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Frank

I have the Vibra tector also...Haven't used it yet though. It would be great using that around swimming holes in water around rocks and small areas where a detectors coil wouldn't be of use.. It is submersible to 30 feet as well and pulse induction. Have you used it in water?

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
That's the main reason I got it. I put on the mask and snorkle and get the stuff just out of reach of the guys using conventional units. It is also easy to search walls in old buildings using it. lets just say ,it has paid for it's self.
Mel Fisher used them on that treasure ship. Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread