advice on new detector frusted

jay741jay

Greenie
Feb 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi im not that new to metal detecting but have never really found anything good. i need advice on possible getting a new detector. I have a bounty hunter know base model im guessing. i recently got a garet ace 250 form kellyco and wasnt happy at all. i read all good reviews about it but it didnt work good for me at all. I took it to a foundation site that does have broken bottles an other stuff. i set it up on coin mode and my first pass i get a signal i dig nothing. every swip i make the thing goes off. i tried it in each setting and and every sencetivity mode nothing worked. This is always the problem i had in the past. my detector would constintaly be going off. So i returned it and they didnt refund all the money they charged me a 30% restocking fee.

My question is what would be a good detector for me on the cheaper side im a student in school so my buget isnt that much. i would be mostly decting in the woods around rock walls and foundations and for coins. What would be a good detector for me? I want one that doesnt constintly go off thats always been my problem and i frustated after digging all the time for nothing. My main goal is coins and id be in the woods. Is there a detector that is good for that? and can tell you want it is? Also where would be a good place to by it from. thanks

Upvote 0

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jay,

Your unit may not have been functioning properly. You would have been better off to return it to Garrett and let them have a look at it rather than return it to Kellyco.

But what's done is done.

Now, you say you're on a limited budget and you want to hunt coins.

Here's two units you ought to look at:

If you want a screen, have a look at the Teknetics Delta. It costs about $280.

If you don't need a screen, have a look at the Tesoro Silver uMax. I think it retails for $260.

Do some research on these detectors and see which has the features you like the best.

You'll probably get a few other recommendations here too.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ace250 from Kellyco.

illinidigger

Jun 1, 2010
Illinois-St. Louis Metro
Detector(s) used
Explorer Se Pro White's IDX pro
If you were at a site with broken bottles, there was probably alot of metal dumped with it. Large metal items buried deep will make your detector go off. I would say learn your bounty hunter and then buy a new detector. No machine will buy patience, I use a high end machine and on some sites it will not function well. In certain environments no machine will work well.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just my 2 cents,
the Tesoro has always been good to me for the type hunting you describe.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mike of AA Woodland Detectors is here on this site, he is a wonderful person to deal with, he is knowledgable, helpful, and if you get in a tight spot, he will help, I just got my first machine from him yesterday, I can't wait for the weather to clear up so I can get out and get some goodies! :wink: Red

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'll second that on Mike at Woodland Detectors. You will not go wrong with him. He can answer all your questions and help you get what are looking for.

snakeyes

Jan 4, 2007
Northen New Mexico
Detector(s) used
don't laugh viper trident/ E.Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get a pin pointer, no telling what you might be missing, lot of stuff looks just like dirt :dontknow:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would look at fisher f2. Its a much faster recovery machine than the 250. It will do better in trashy areas.

Holler at me with any questions. Love to help you!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Jay, my hunch is that it's not the lineup of various machine's you've tried so far, that are failing you. I suspect you need to hook up with a proficient user/hunter in your area, and go out and compare signals somewhere. Don't start off at junky relicky sites, as a beginner, lest you not understand the barrage of signals (and supposedly disappearing signals, etc...). Start off at some mundane place that has lots of clad to choose from. Even if it's modern home yards from the 1950s, or some other such modern place where there's going to be pennies/dimes/quarters to get. Play around there for awhile to become familiar with what the machine is telling you, pinpointing, etc...

THEN go out and tackle other spots where 4-star signals may not be as quickly forthcoming. And take a proficient user with you (not a sandbox hunter, but someone who consistently comes in with silver-type-hunter). Each time you get a signal, have them scan it before you break ground. They can tell you if you're getting fooled, and why (eg.: "I'd pass that" or "yes I'd chase that", etc..). And conversely have them show you signals they suspect are worthy. Watch the way they swing. Listen in to what they're trying to isolate as far as sounds go, see how they retrieve, and so forth.

Because reading about all these things in printed text is absolutely useless. No amount of printed text can describe things like sounds. They simply have to be heard, and can not be described in printed text.

OP
OP
J

jay741jay

Greenie
Feb 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for all the info guys i sent a message to woodland detectors for some info. what do you guys think of the fisher f2? also do any of you guys detect around rock walls and have you found anything? thanks

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you've already gotten a bunch of good advice, about the only thing i would add would be "patience"..the ace 250 is a proven producer. My first detector took nearly a year to get acquainted with...I like to compare it to playing a guitar; you wouldn't expect to play a guitar the first time you picked it up....The TV commercials lead people to believe that great treasure awaits them----possible but you have to do the groundwork first....you.ve come to the right place for tips and advice...good luck in your endeavours

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
me thinks you're not gonna like the f2 either. You can keep going through a bunch of machines (thinking that it's always the machine is the reason for lack of finds), or you can take my advice, and hook up with someone in your area who is proficient. Trade off signals, see what sounds he's trying to hone in on (and conversely, the ones he passes), and so forth.

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have to vote with Tom_in_CA, it would be remote to have gotten two bad machines with the same problem. Regardless of what you see on Youtube and the videos posted by different companies, metal detecting is not something with which you are born proficient.....it takes work and practice and as others have said, patience.

Get someone who is familiar with the hobby to help you get set up. If you can't find anyone, go to a spot that does not produce a lot of trashy signals, crank down your sensitivity and have a friend put some items under a piece of cardboard about a foot or so apart.....a nickel, dime, quarter, pull tab, flattened can, iron nail, etc. Then, not knowing where these items are located under the cardboard, try to locate them and see how many you can identify correctly. When you get half decent at that, head for the good stuff. I don't know what sort of wall you were trying to locate around, but, keep in mind that many may have a lot of steel reinforcement in them.....that will throw you locator for a loop! Power lines can cause EMI (ElectroMagnetic Interference), again, causing your locator to belch.

Learn you machine!! The little Ace 250 should have done all the things you mentioned. Maybe Kellyco still has it and will graciously let you have it for a 30% discount? :evil5:

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
[mod]DID YOU READ THE RULES Don't attack, provoke, insult, or deliberately offend anyone. [/mod]

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
[mod] Thanks Chug and Red :hello: [/mod]

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roland58 said:
I have to vote with Tom_in_CA, it would be remote to have gotten two bad machines with the same problem. Regardless of what you see on Youtube and the videos posted by different companies, metal detecting is not something with which you are born proficient.....it takes work and practice and as others have said, patience.

Get someone who is familiar with the hobby to help you get set up. If you can't find anyone, go to a spot that does not produce a lot of trashy signals, crank down your sensitivity and have a friend put some items under a piece of cardboard about a foot or so apart.....a nickel, dime, quarter, pull tab, flattened can, iron nail, etc. Then, not knowing where these items are located under the cardboard, try to locate them and see how many you can identify correctly. When you get half decent at that, head for the good stuff. I don't know what sort of wall you were trying to locate around, but, keep in mind that many may have a lot of steel reinforcement in them.....that will throw you locator for a loop! Power lines can cause EMI (ElectroMagnetic Interference), again, causing your locator to belch.

Learn you machine!! The little Ace 250 should have done all the things you mentioned. Maybe Kellyco still has it and will graciously let you have it for a 30% discount? :evil5:
Try this & if you can get it back. make sure your coil wire is wrapped tightly (With tape) around your detector shaft.....This happens alot that you probably were picking up your wire bouncing around ...Just a thought ....Anyways I own that detector & it works awsome for me & go to youtube & watch some videos on your next detector.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread