GOLDHUNTER2009

Tenderfoot
Jun 15, 2010
Upvote 0

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other
I would stay out of abandoned mines - there are too many opporitunities to get killed. Most of the gold you will find in the walls are likely to be very small samples, and beyond the abilities of many metal detectors. The Falcon MD 20 will help you find small gold - in that sense it can be used as a pin pointer for gold (not many pin pointers work well for gold prospecting).

Keep in mind that many gold and silver mines started out with easy to identify ore at the surface, and then as they tunneled deeper, they ran into sulfides of gold and silver (in many cases, your metal detector is not likely to detect anything there, even if there is good mineral content).

You might do a lot better working thru the tailings piles.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jmoller99 said:
I would stay out of abandoned mines - there are too many opporitunities to get killed. Most of the gold you will find in the walls are likely to be very small samples, and beyond the abilities of many metal detectors. The Falcon MD 20 will help you find small gold - in that sense it can be used as a pin pointer for gold (not many pin pointers work well for gold prospecting).

Keep in mind that many gold and silver mines started out with easy to identify ore at the surface, and then as they tunneled deeper, they ran into sulfides of gold and silver (in many cases, your metal detector is not likely to detect anything there, even if there is good mineral content).

You might do a lot better working thru the tailings piles.
Ditto on staying out of abandoned mines for you safety. :coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread