Needing help with metal detecting

C

CornBread

Hello there all.
I have to say ive been into watching/hearing about panning/metal detecting/mining. It just seems so fun that I have to try it :D.
Although I live in Illinois I have no clue where to go. Plus I need help chosing a metal detector...Im looking for a nice cheap good metal detector for a newbie like myself.
I should include school is coming again (winter break is ending) so im going to do this in the summer, but I would like to know what to do instead of being clueless later.

Upvote 0
J

jim c

welcome cornbread,I'm new to this Hobie to and just recently purchased a Garrett ace 250 for199.00 came with head phones carry bagand a two pocket coin,trash bag+free shipping from e-bay-i think it to be the best detector for the money,but i just a newbie and this my first real detector

OP
OP
C

CornBread

Thanks for all the info..
Problem living in Illinois is where to hunt...Especially in a suburb area...
Plus..Im kind of low on money so I can wait for my Metal Detector :D (About 100 dollars :D..What kind of Metal Detector could I get?)

To bad I live in IL, I really want to try Sludge/Panning.

cmlmich

Dec 10, 2004
Hi Cornbread.....I have to agree with JimC....I also bought the Garrett Ace 250 for $199. If you can't scrape together the extra $99 for a better quality one now...you really should wait until you can before you buy one. If you get one that is too inexpensive, then you run the risk of getting one that won't provide you with the results you need to keep you interested. I think you will sacrifice not only overall quality...but also depth with a less expensive model. Before I bought mine..I was only going to spend $100 also....after talking to many people..I decided to spend the extra and get a good quality one. Just my two cents....good luck to you whichever way you go.

Bob B.

Oct 27, 2004
I made a mistake on going to cheap ( 100 dollars) on my first detector and I got what I paid for, didn't have it very long. Stay with the name brands, I believe you know who they are, if you can't find a local dealer near you, keep checking out ebay for a good deal, getting a bad one in the begining just might turn you against this hobby and you don't want that, it's great. HH Bob.B

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep have a 100 dollar BH just gets me frustrated sometime but found a ammo box with some thing in it today and a full beer in it!drank it of course,happy new year hu!!!so it has some good things about it! ;D DEKALB33

OP
OP
C

CornBread

Hmmmmm, ok. Well could anyone recommend some metal detectors?

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this kids only 14, get to technical, ;D keep is simple!

OP
OP
C

CornBread

Dont worry, ive been researching -_-

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
read everything you can even ifyou dont understand it you will pick up alot from that!DEKALB33

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Cornbread,

? ? ? I have a Tesoro Compadre. I paid $189.00 for it (3 years ago) and got a sand scoop & head phones with it. I like the Compadre because it is simple to use. It has one knob and only uses one 9 volt battery that is easy to change. I can only speak for this entry level model and I'm sure that the other manufacturers have models just as good. My experience is only with the Compadre. One good thing is that the Tesoro service is very good. I have heard that a lot of times they won't charge to fix something. I've never had to return a detector.? ?Hope it helps and good luck.

Ron(PA)

warthog steve

Mar 23, 2003
Brown City,Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1350GTA for dry,Fisher 1280X for wet........
8)cornbread-you might try Kellyco in Florida-www.kellycodetectors.com They have a lot of good ideas for where to start.

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Cornbread--You can go to Radio Shack and buy the 1100 model they have for $70 (or you could just before Christmas). I have used this model since the Spring and have found TONS of great stuff. Detecting is very much like the golf swing in my opinion. If you have sound fundamentals, you can be successful with any clubs. In detecting, researching the right sights is the equal to good fundamentals. If you find the right places to hunt, you will make great finds even with a $100 detector. Go to this link and see some of the great things I found since May with a Radio Shack detector. Go for it!!! (Where do you live in Illinois, and I'll try to help you with some sites.)
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,5140.0.html

OP
OP
C

CornBread

I hate giving away info on the internet but oh well...
Buffalo Grove...20-30 mins away from Chicago

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
I understand about giving out info, but don't worry on this one, you are very annonymous. Here's what you do. Go to your local library and ask for books and photos on local history. Look for any places where people used to gather for fairs, concerts, etc. Old swimming holes, special events. Go to the online version of your regional or local newspaper and do searches under archives using words such as "fair" or "park" etc. and see what you find. Go to ebay.com and enter under the search box the name of a town near you and "+" sign and the word postcard. You will find old postcard photos of places in your area. Try this with a few different towns and see what you find. Since you are near Chicago, that's good because you are in an area with a large population that has been there for a long time, even in the outskirts. Talk to old timers about where they used to swim as kids, they almost certainly swam at creeks or rivers not pools back in the old days. You will find lots of good places to search. Think of any relatives or friends with older houses. Main thing is to find places where lots of people gather or did in the past.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You,ve already taken the first step by getting on Tnet.There,s a world of info here,especially for a new guy.I,m 68 years old but just as new as you are not yet having my first MD but I hope to have one soon.Meanwhile I,ve been reading all that I can on here and have learned a great deal that I expect will be a big help when I do go out that first time.Look at the bottom of the forum page for State specific info,there,s one for Ill.and you,ll likely find something which will help you out.There,s a lot of videos on youtube also,some are State specific.Put in something like Metal Detecting Illinois and you should find something helpful.All the luck in the world to you.Jim.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread