What gold detector is good for gold pots which are buried between 4 to 20 feet?

Scary Hunter

Oct 9, 2006
Mexico City
Detector(s) used
Lorenz LPX2
I contacted kellyco and they suggested the Garrett 2500 with the treasure hound multiplier & Lorenz LPX2, but they seem a little expensive for this new hobby and as I have read some of your posts it seems that the 2 boxes detectors doesn't work very well and the Garret with the treasure hount makes it a 2 boxes detector.
You know in one hand I want to find all the gold pots I can, but these 2 detectors cost a lot of money and I don't know if they really will work. Do you think is better to start with some gold detector that can measure only 5 or 10 feet? I want a good detector to get sure I don't dig a huge hole and then find out that there is only iron or a huge stone (this happened to me one time that I was with some metallic stuff that I heard it can be use to check energy and also if there is water or treasures, however after 12 feet I found many huge rocks impossible to move without a machine or dinamite) Now you know why I want to buy a real detector :P
Most of the area I want to check is part of a mountain and a lot ot people have found gold pots as accident when they were digging to make their home basement, pipes, some said that the gold was burning and when they digged they found the gold pot.

Upvote 0

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is a gold pot, is this something unique to the area you are hunting? Is it a pot of gold coins or what? It sounds totally cool!

HH,
Ramapirate

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To the best of my knowledge unless you know something I don't you will have to go to a two box detector to get anywhere near the even shallower depths you are talking about. No off the self detector is going to go down much below a foot to 18" at best and then your target will be pretty iffy. From all I gather, a two box detector is the only way to go and your success depends on the skill of the operator as much as anything. If you are a novice, your chances of success are very small. A big discovery usually requires a big investment outside of sheer luck. Just my humble opinion. Monty

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
4 feet maybe but 20 feet? im not aware of any detector that can reach 20 feet.

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GPR is the only way to go for success.

Maybe infrared?

OP
OP
Scary Hunter

Scary Hunter

Oct 9, 2006
Mexico City
Detector(s) used
Lorenz LPX2
Thanks for all your replies.

what we call a gold pot is a pot with a lot of gold coins. Some people also found barrels with gold, big guns and figures made in the otomi culture over there. (I won't tell you where :P)

Monty I really don't know anything about any metal detector, but I asked Kellyco for help finding a gold detector for treasures that are buried betwen 4 to 20 feet (6 meters) and the seller recommended me the garrett 2500 and the lorenz lpx2

Hollowpoint: Apparently the garret 2500 with the depth multiplier can measure up to 20 " deep and the Lorenz LPX2 with the 1x1meter coil can detect 20" in large objects and 26" in very large objects.

Monty: About the small chances, well if I can have the money to buy the detector will increase my chance and also the parents of the person who will be my partner knows all the stories of the town and the places where they have found the pots or barrels and where people used to hide during the mexican revolution.
They also know the ghost stories and there is a place where they say that they have seen the devil, so if I don't find gold maybe I will be scared to death lol.

What I don't know is if the detectors will work or not with what I need or ir I will be able to use them lol. In some posts I read that the 2 box detectors are not very accurate and now Monty says it is better, so I will have to continue learning about detectors. Then Lorenz in their description says "The Lorenz LPX2 works extremely well in automatic mode, in this mode it adjusts to temperatures and ground conditions.The LPX2 does most of the work. You dig up the treasures" so these are very interesting things for a novice like me :P

Night Stalker I really don't know what kind of detector is the Lorenz or the Garrett. I read the descriptions and it is like if I am trying to read chinnese, I really don't understand a lot, specially where they talk about the coils when they show the size of the coil but it doesn't says how deep it measures...

I really don't want to rush and buy something that will be useless specially if it is so expensive, so I think I will continue reading some of your posts to try to learn as much as I can and probably on December I will buy the detector.

Thanks again for all your kind help

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: What gold detector is good for gold pots which are buried between 4 to 20 fe

Hey Scary,

For the 20 foot depth, you are completely out of luck, except for a Ground Penetrating Radar Setup (about $25,000).

For 4 to about 12 feet, you can get a good Pulse Induction Unit with about a 48" by 48" Two-Person Coil. Even then, the target would need to be pretty good size.

Is this inside a cave/mineshaft in Mexico? I met a guy a couple of years ago looking for a detector for the same depth. Maximillians?

Best,

Mike

OP
OP
Scary Hunter

Scary Hunter

Oct 9, 2006
Mexico City
Detector(s) used
Lorenz LPX2
Hi Mike:

Thanks for your advise.

The pots and barrels are buried under the ground, there are no caves or mines in that area. It seems that very rich people living on that area buried their gold but some of them were killed or escaped and never came back, also there is a story that one of the revolutionaries had his headquarters over there and buried his gold and they killed anyone that came around and stole their gold. This revolution started on 1910 when Porfirio Diaz wanted to be reelected...(70 years were not enough for him, but at least he made very good things to Mexico and this country had a lot of progress)
In 1867 Maximilian army was defeated by Porfirio Diaz, so there could be some Maximilian coins somewhere over there.

OP
OP
Scary Hunter

Scary Hunter

Oct 9, 2006
Mexico City
Detector(s) used
Lorenz LPX2
Hi again Mike,

I just found out that the Lorenz LPX2 is a pulse induction metal detector, the coil is 1mx1m which is 40'x40'
I also found the pulse star II Pro with 40'x40' coil which is also a pulse induction metal detector.

Which one do you think is better? I'm still not ready for the $25,000 detectors.

by the way Night Stalker I just saw the exp5000 and exp5000 pro, they look nice, but still not in my budget :( , thanks anyway

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: What gold detector is good for gold pots which are buried between 4 to 20 fe

My recommendation is to find some local metal detecting clubs, and try to find someone who already has one.

You can also rent GPR Services. You may have to pay their way to you, and a per day fee, b ut that's still way cheaper than $25K

Best,

Mike

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

How are you planning on digging these deep holes as well? Renting the equipment to dig gets pretty expensive as well.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey Scary,

Don't waste your money on the CScope.

BScofield6 does bring up a good point! I don't know the composition of the ground youre going to be digging in, but if it's not dirt (no roots) or wet sand, you will most likely need a backhoe.

Best,

Mike

OP
OP
Scary Hunter

Scary Hunter

Oct 9, 2006
Mexico City
Detector(s) used
Lorenz LPX2
Thanks for all your information.

Mike I tried to find a club in Mexico by internet with no luck :( But I will continue searching. The only store I have found that rents equipment is for Gemini-3 (Fisher).

BSCOFIELD6: About the holes, at first I will try with the ones that are not very deep. I really don't want to start digging huge holes to find out that I still don't know how to use the detector :P

LEDFOOT: thanks for the info, I already entered, but I prefer to buy something that is a little more popular, so I can really know that it works. The price with the manufacturer looks fine, only $599 L

John CA: thanks for your information, The Lorenz LP2X apparently can measure 20 feet with the 40x40 in coil on big targets, I can't find a lot of information about Lorenz to know more about how it works, the instruction manual says the same as the descriptions I have found. I also checked the pulse star II that apparently made very deep measures and found out that with the 40x40 inches coil and big targets it can only go 10 feet deep :(.

I'm glad I am not in a hurry, this is not as easy as I thought. :o

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread