Coils, machines, and sweat equity

Run4Cvr

Apr 11, 2011
Central Washington
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Whites Coinmaster, Fisher 1266X, Whites MXT, Makro Racer 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought Fisher Gold Bug Pro last year with the 5 inch coil and have been very happy with it. Been finding lots of clad, finally figured out nickels and have pulled my weight in pull tabs, need to figure out how to get better depth though. Really like the machine but have been intreged by the Whites MXT, (was my second choice when I purchased the Bug).

So.....The other day I was playing around on Craigslist and found a 1 month old MXT that I was able to score for $450. A little arm twisting on the wife and I got permission to pick it up. I like the idea of having two machines, but know that its gonna take me some time to learn the MXT. Today I took the MXT to a nearby park that Ive been hitting pretty hard with the Bug and gave the MXT a whirl. I was a little disappointed, not in the machine but the realization that Im gonna need to spend some serious time learning it. I am hoping the MXT will give me a little more depth than the Bug, which I havent found to be getting me down more than 3 inches.

Just curious, for those who have the MXT which coil do you find to be the best overall coil for depth and suitability for trasher sights? Am I better off getting a 6x10 coil for the MXT or would I be better off getting an 11DD for the Bug? The MXT at the park I was working was giving me all kinds of signals and I found that I was finding a whole lot less than I was with the Bug, Im thinking that the 950 coil was just getting deeper and picking up more trash/deeper targets and I need to get used to it. This isnt a Bug vs MXT post, just a what would you do and what are your experiences with these machines?

I want an all around machine. Probably will be working more trasher sights such as ski slopes and parks and the occasional bedrock gold search. I dont have the money to a new coil for both machines, so should I;

Buy a new coil for the MXT, say the 6x10 or should I get the 11DD for the bug?

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You were finding lots of coins with the Bug and smaller 5"coil because it got through the trash easier and pinpointed the coins quicker in pinpoint so less wasted time. The larger coil will be deeper but see more targets under the coil at one time and take longer to pinpoint the coins. So it is a trade off.
The Bug isn't getting down deeper because it has a small coil and is designed mainly for gold nugget hunting.

OP
OP
Run4Cvr

Run4Cvr

Apr 11, 2011
Central Washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats what I was thinking. I like the abilities of the sniping coil and the gold bug pro, so I dont think Ill get another coil for it. But, with that being said, would the 6x10 coil for the MXT make it work better in trasher sites without loosing much in depth?

FCCDFEd

Sep 29, 2007
Terra Bella, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX, IDXPro, MXT, Lobo St., At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use both the MXT and DFX and use a 6x10 exclusively. It is small enough to seperate trash and items out, but still big enought to cover some ground. The MXT is an awesome machine and is worth the time to learn. It is a clad hog but also finds the Silver and jewelry if you learn the machine. With that said I recently purchased an AT Pro and will eventually purchase a comparable size to the 6x10 for the At Pro. I am convinced with where I hunt that you need help seperating out the trash.

fccdfed

OP
OP
Run4Cvr

Run4Cvr

Apr 11, 2011
Central Washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well after reading other peoples posts regarding the MXT 950 coil and how it responds in trashier areas, Ive decided to get the 6x10 Eclipse coil. I found a sweet deal on ebay for one. I played with the MXT today and found that it worked much better in less trashier areas and not so good in the trashy park I was working. I think that the combo of this and my Gold Bug Pro will be deadly for working over old sites. I just need to get my kid up to speed on the detectors so that I can run both together.

Steve

justanotherbarber

Jan 30, 2012
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Vaquero, Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In the trashy area just go slower and you'll be fine. From what I hear on the gold Bug, it's quite a machine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions