flakefinder

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
2 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went and checked out a site that set way back in the woods a friend has been telling me about. It sets on the top edge of a hill out in the middle of the woods, there are bricks and iron debris 30 feet wide and 50 feet long going down hill. Any Ideas what this could have been? Here's a pick of a hole and some nails we found, I am thinking old wind mill.

Attachments

• possible site.jpg
    possible site.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 345
  • Nail from site.jpg
    Nail from site.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 346
Upvote 0

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi flakefinder
Yes i would agree with Mike its an old home site,maybe a cabin site if there is no foundation hole.
Most old cabin were built on large flat rocks with no hole, so i`d look for the flat rocks.
Might be an old orchard close they allways produce for me .
Gary G.A.P.metal

K Zack

Feb 2, 2012
West Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab- Explorer XS, Excalibur 800, Sovereign XS-2 Pro, Fisher 1280X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found 3 old home sites that the house sat on nail kegs full of small stones.
They would bury these kegs almost to the top.
They seem to make do with what they had. The possible wind mill and the bricks, I would think that it was more of a long term home site.
The hole with the clay tile in it, could be a pump shaft cover, could be an access hole to a Cistern that has been filled in over the years.
It looks to me like it would be worth a day or two to find out what might be there.
Kevin

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That looks like an excellent site to hit! I would hit it and then go back over it with a smaller sniper coil to make sure I got it all!

OP
OP
flakefinder

flakefinder

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
2 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G.A.P.metal said:
Hi flakefinder
Yes i would agree with Mike its an old home site,maybe a cabin site if there is no foundation hole.
Most old cabin were built on large flat rocks with no hole, so i`d look for the flat rocks.
Might be an old orchard close they allways produce for me .
Gary G.A.P.metal
This site sits on the edge of a old apple orchard , thanks for the info.

OP
OP
flakefinder

flakefinder

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
2 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
K Zack said:
I have found 3 old home sites that the house sat on nail kegs full of small stones.
They seem to make do with what they had. The possible wind mill and the bricks, I would think that it was more of a long term home site.
The hole with the clay tile in it, could be a pump shaft cover, could be an access hole to a Cistern that has been filled in over the years.
It looks to me like it would be worth a day or two to find out what might be there.
Kevin
I will spend some time checking out this site as soon as all the snow we just got melts at least some of it, good hunting, and thanks for the info.

OP
OP
flakefinder

flakefinder

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
2 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bart@Big Boys Hobbies said:
That looks like an excellent site to hit! I would hit it and then go back over it with a smaller sniper coil to make sure I got it all!
First I am going to have to see about getting a sniper have been thinking about it, I will have to call you Bart and get a price, thanks for the info.

K Zack

Feb 2, 2012
West Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab- Explorer XS, Excalibur 800, Sovereign XS-2 Pro, Fisher 1280X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
flakefinder said:
K Zack said:
Kevin
I will spend some time checking out this site as soon as all the snow we just got melts at least some of it, good hunting, and thanks for the info.

Feb 25, this is the first time that I have had to plow snow out of my driveway this year.
I am sure that is a Record, Strange Winter.
Good Luck with you hunting,
Kevin

OP
OP
flakefinder

flakefinder

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
2 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
K Zack said:
flakefinder said:
K Zack said:
Kevin

Feb 25, this is the first time that I have had to plow snow out of my driveway this year.
I am sure that is a Record, Strange Winter.
Good Luck with you hunting,
Kevin
One thing I didn't want right now was a lot of snow, it has been such a good winter for detecting and now this but have to take the good with the bad. Good luck hunting.

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I agree with old home site.
The piece of metal is what us framers now a days use to tie the headers,top plate,or bottom plat to studs,ect.
But it is a tie of some sort.
The clay pipe in the ground could be protecting a septic tank access,or a shut off valve of some kind.Say a water line shut off.
Quite a few people in my area use these,or a concrete block.
Plus,it being by an orchard.
Maybe a water shut off,and an old barn,or service shed.
Check your local court house for any records,or county to see if it was a plot.
Or ask people.Do not let anyone know you are detecting there though.
You will just open a can of worms.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread