Help with buying metal detector going insane.

Luckdragon987

Greenie
Feb 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
OK ... i think I have it narrowed down to 2. Either the Bounty hunter pioneer 505 or the Tesoro Silver Umax. My wife and I have never been metal detecting or anything. I was just wondering if all the features of the 505 outweigh the Silver's 2 knob design. Is the bounty hunter going to be easier to use? I know the Silver has a lifetime warranty vs. the BH's 5 year. What I really need to know is a performance evaluation from someone that has owned them both. I will also take the advice of dealers etc. I have watched youtube vids on them both ... I just don't wanna mess up and buy the wrong one as making this first choice that we may be stuck with for a year or two is very overwhelming. Main thing is I don't want to buy a bad detector and get discouraged with it.

We live in florida. We want an excellent detector for dry land that can stand up to a weekly trip to the water as well. I know we won't get the perfect machine for the money we can spend right now. Just want to get close.

Thanks guys,

BTW - I started out on these forums CRHing and reading alot of your posts is what inspired us to try this hobby as well.

Upvote 0

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Luckdragon,

I live in Florida too. Except for the northernmost regions, our soil is very sandy with low mineralization, so a detector with manual ground balance is not essential.

I have owned a bounty hunter, but not the particular one you have described. I sold it long ago.

It is my opinion that the Tesoro Silver uMax would be a better investment than the Bounty Hunter. I say this because the Tesoro is built better, gets better depth, and is covered by a lifetime warranty.

It is a beep and dig machine, which means once you have set your discrimination and sensitivity, dig every solid signal you get.

If you absolutely want a TID screen, the Minelab 505 you mentioned is a very good detector also.

I have owned both the Tesoro Silver uMax and the Tesoro Compadre. Both are good, but I ended up keeping the Compadre.

The biggest advantage of the Silver is that you can interchange coils if you wish. The Compadre has a 5.75" coil hardwired to the unit. But that smaller coil is all I ever really need in most applications. The depth is excellent, 5-6", and it is more sensitive to small gold than the Silver. Part of the reason is that the Compadre has a true ed180 all metal mode, the Silver has a ed120 mode which blocks out the smallest pieces of iron. The Compadre runs at 12 kHz, slightly higher than the Silver's 10 kHz, which seems to help the Compadre on small gold jewelry as well. I like to hunt for coins and jewelry, and since I don't need manual ground balance where I live, I just find the cheaper Compadre is a better all around detector. However, I do not use it for beach or relic hunting. I use different machines for that.

Hope that all helps a little bit.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too would go along with Smudge. The Tesoro is the better detector. The 505 has a screen that is not always acturate, but it can give you an idea what the target is and if you believe it you will leave lots of good Items in the ground. The Tesoro will do fine on the dry beach sand but for hunting the wet sand nearer the water you should have a dual frequency detector which you can upgrade to later for $$$.

OP
OP
L

Luckdragon987

Greenie
Feb 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for all the great input u2 ... anyone else have any input? going to purchase in 3 days.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You best go with your gut, or the advise from the other 2 posters...

All other replies will take you down a road you don't want to travel and your head will explode :laughing9:

Everyone here will have a different opinion and machine, theirs always being the best.. Whatever you decide to get, learn it, and most of all, enjoy it. It's that simple :thumbsup:

OP
OP
L

Luckdragon987

Greenie
Feb 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Well hopefully I didn't make a mistake ... but I picked up a fisher f2 yesterday after going to the store and playing will all the models. Hadn't even considered the f2 before I went to the store. But I like it and the way it is set up. Plus it came with a pin pointer. Will post finds ... lol.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
luckdragon987

there you go...you took all are advice with a grain of salt and went the other way, o.k.. you did it now, good luck and have fun. the pin pointer is a great selling point...

liftloop

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Luckdragon987 said:
Well hopefully I didn't make a mistake ... but I picked up a fisher f2 yesterday after going to the store and playing will all the models. Hadn't even considered the f2 before I went to the store. But I like it and the way it is set up. Plus it came with a pin pointer. Will post finds ... lol.

Bummer, I have a brand new, never used Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505 with case and two coils that I would have made you an extra special Christmas deal on. Anyway, congrats on your F2, I'm sure you will enjoy it immensely. Keep us posted and don't forget pics of the gold!!

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Luckdragon987 said:

Good luck with the F2. None of these new Fishers are my cup of tea but I hope it works out for you.

Badger

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awful, isn't it. So many detectors and once you buy one you're committed. The key is to stick with your selection and learn it. No matter which detector, the user that knows their machine will do better than someone who has a great machine they don't understand.

I really like my F75, but it has strengths and weaknesses you have to play to.

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Charlie P. (NY) said:
Awful, isn't it. So many detectors and once you buy one you're committed. The key is to stick with your selection and learn it. No matter which detector, the user that knows their machine will do better than someone who has a great machine they don't understand.

I really like my F75, but it has strengths and weaknesses you have to play to.

I, too, have the F75 and you put the situation in the perfect light......nice job and well said.

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think you did fine.

I personally not a BH fan having owned one.... you made a better choice with the F2.

I would have recommended the Tesoro over the BH as well. Tesoro makes great machines that run deep... you just have to skip the bells and whistles of the display machines.

TimC

Jul 24, 2008
Gold Country, Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Various
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Luck,
All metal d's have their features. One feature almost all d's have is that they can be used in the water, BUT only up to the box where the beeps and the squeeks come from. If you stay in CALM seas ony a foot or two out, with a plastic bag sealed over the box to protect it from a slight splash, you may find the better finds. I was on the East coast of FL about three years ago. In the wet sand, where the water washes up, it's hard to dig a target without the sand caving in. A bucket, or something similar, with the top and bottom cut out can be pushed over the target as you dig keeps the sand out. TKC

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TimC said:
Hi Luck,
<snip> A bucket, or something similar, with the top and bottom cut out can be pushed over the target as you dig keeps the sand out. TKC

That's a great suggestion, thanks! I would assume that a plastic bucket would be best so you could still detect the target. Your tip is much appreciated.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That F2 package with the additional small coil and pinpointer can't be beat for under $250. TID numbers, large display, depth readout and pinpoint function are great features in an entry level machine. Be sure and turn the sensitivity down if you get "chatter" at the beach.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have owned several makes and brands of detectors and I find that selecting one is like romancing a young lady. A couple of them I loved a first but the relationship soon went sour and I had to move on. It takes a lot of hard work to keep the relationship new and exciting. But when you find the right one it may be for a lifetime. Right now I am courting my new ATPro and it looks like a promising releationship. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread