20 years since I have detected , use old detector (Whites 2900 D) or buy new ?

martinguitar

Feb 28, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an old Whites 2900 D late 1980's era detector. How much of a performance gain would I get with a newer detector
such as a Tesoro Silver Umax or a Fisher F2 ? Just wondering if discrimination , and depth has improved much on the newer sub $ 300 detectors over my old one ?

Thanks for all input .

Upvote 0

jd5105

May 20, 2009
West Monroe, La.
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1260x, BountyHunter DE280 Outlaw, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm kind of in the same boat. My newest detector is a Fisher 1260-X 1984 model, and the oldest a 1981 Bounty DE280 Outlaw. The 1260 still does pretty good, but I am seriously looking at a Tesoro Vaquero. The Fisher F2 gets good results from what I have read and the videos on youtube and you can't go wrong with the Tesoro. I'm sure you will get more feedback from the people on here. Do a Google search for a review on the models you are interested in and also check out youtube.

ryaan21

Apr 17, 2007
Gladstone, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 Garrett GTAx 550, Teknetics Delta 4000, Teknetics T2, Teknetics Omega 8000, Garrett AT Pro, Whites Coinmaster GT, Fisher CZ70 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would try out a new machine. For under 300 you can get a nice machine and if you dont like it they are an easy sell. Stick with Tesoro, Garrett, Teknetics, Fisher.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to encourage people to use their older detectors if they were a classic in some way at the time they were new. Might be for depth, iron see through or whatever.

Unfortunately the 2900 wasn't that good in its day. Good for price paid but not the best. The Fisher, though it was a bit of a classic in introducing slow motion "motion" detecting in an easy to use, light package was soon surpassed by the more powerful 1265 and 1266 models.

In both these cases I would look to getting a newer detector and performance has improved even at the lower price range from Fisher and Tesoro. If the old detector had been say a 1266 and still worked well you would need to spend much more in a new machine to beat the performance of the old.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes, i am with Brian dont wast your time.... time to upgrade a little any newer detector has got to be lighter ....just got to learn it .
Mike at Woodland detectors is at good place to start... he can help you out with any confusion over the newer models hes one to the sponcers here too
Gary G.A>P.metal

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
martinguitar said:
I have an old Whites 2900 D late 1980's era detector. How much of a performance gain would I get with a newer detector
such as a Tesoro Silver Umax or a Fisher F2 ? Just wondering if discrimination , and depth has improved much on the newer sub $ 300 detectors over my old one ?

Thanks for all input .
The old whites is a good machine. Your really not gonna see a huge improvement unless you get a higher end machine with a ground balance and possibly a DD coil.

Feel free to give me a call. I would love to help you out! Bart.

stringmo

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2012
west coast
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm pickin' up what your layin' down. The last best machine I had was the Teknetics 9000 until I bought a Whites Eagle ll. I was very disappointed in that machine because it was so hard to learn. I never did learn it. I then bought a Minelab because everyone told me how great they were. They obviously are to some folks. It never worked out either. About 8 weeks ago, I decided I would give this thing one last try. I bought a new Teknetics T2. I started diggin wheaties and silvers almost immediately and have been ever since. It works for me. I get it. Most of all, I feel like I will find something good every time out. Will it work for you? Don't know. You should give yourself the best chance possible to have fun with it again. Upgrade. Overall the new machines are much improved. I'm just another old guy with an opinion.

jd5105

May 20, 2009
West Monroe, La.
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1260x, BountyHunter DE280 Outlaw, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I bought my Fisher 1260-X, about 4-6 months later they introduced the 1265-X! More depth and I think you could get the HotHead coils for them. :BangHead:

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ryaan21 said:
I would try out a new machine. For under 300 you can get a nice machine and if you dont like it they are an easy sell. Stick with Tesoro, Garrett, Teknetics, Fisher.
What a bout a white's

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Stringmo makes a good point. Everybody reacts differently to detectors. If you connect with the detector, you have it made. If you don't you'll sell it pretty quickly.

For example, I could never connect with Minelabs, even though I completely acknowledge thye are excellent detectors.

But I would advise getting a newer detector, if for no other reason than to take advantage of the advances in technology that make then lighter in weight.

justanotherbarber

Jan 30, 2012
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Vaquero, Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try the Vaquero. Light, deep, lifetime warranty, great resale. I also have a Delta 4000 but just don't like the meter, (Any metered machine) I dig everything anyway. Any detector today would be an upgrade. Don't let some guide you in one direction, check the "Head to head" forum here for the best advice and if you read a H2H post and the person talks about only one brand move on.

ryaan21

Apr 17, 2007
Gladstone, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 Garrett GTAx 550, Teknetics Delta 4000, Teknetics T2, Teknetics Omega 8000, Garrett AT Pro, Whites Coinmaster GT, Fisher CZ70 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
liftloop said:
ryaan21 said:
What a bout a white's

I refuse to mention whites based on the fact that they dont allow dealers to post their prices.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the 3000 series 3.....a bear to ground balance and keep tuned in the soil around me. It was my first ever detector back in the early 80's but soooo outdated to what you can buy now for under 300.

Also, there is a lot more trash in the ground now than there was back in them days. You'll be thankful for the better discriminating abilities and ground balancing of the newer ones.

I keep the 3000 for no other reason than it was my first. Tryed it out last year just for the heck of it since it hadn't been used in years. Absolutely hated it so back to the basement with it.

Al

OP
OP
M

martinguitar

Feb 28, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the input from everyone .
I took my kids out today with the old Whites , found a 2008 quarter and quite a bit of old iron . Nothing to exciting but we all had a good time.
I think I am going to look into purchasing a newer detector , after swinging the 2900D I remembered how heavy and unbalanced it is.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LOL sounds like the lunch bucket is retiring. I was at Hobbytown USA about a week ago and they rent detectors. I don't know if they have a couple for rent or just one. Either way it would be a chance to try one before marriage.

Personally I love White's and Tesoro's. Tesoro edges Whites out of number one because of the lifetime warranty...and it's fantastic warranty service. I really can't say enough good things about the warranty service.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions