Is it Worth Metal Detecting?

Sterling in Va

Feb 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new to metal detecting and have been trying to figure out where to metal detect. I live in Chesterfield Va, just outside of Richmond. With all of the rich history around here, I was just wondering if hunting some woods near my house is worthwhile. From what I know, there were no civil war battles/skirmishes in this part of the county, and the area appears to have previously been farmland 100 years ago. Are these woods worth detecting or will I be wasting my time?
Thanks.

Upvote 0

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sterling in Va said:
When I asked "is it worth my time?", I didn't mean will I find thousands of old coins and relics. I am nearly 100% sure that that will never happen. I know I will never make a lot of money metal detecting, I probably will never find enough stuff to pay back the $150 I bought the detector for. I know that. I meant that I was wondering if there was a small chance of me coming across anything 50 years old or older.
As for the woods, a creek runs through it that was there 150 years ago, and I believe there is an old homestead near it.
Sorry if I worded the title like that. I meant metal detecting the place, not metal detecting in general.

I knew exactly what you meant... I knew your were not asking about making a "profit"... You are in an extremely history rich area... Do the research... Learn the history of your area and the rest will follow... all that encompasses metal detecting will be yours.

Almost everywhere you go in your area should yield relics... Get permission where ever you hunt... when you pull that first relic out of the ground and realize what you found... YES it will be all worth your time and effort... then you will be hooked! Do the time and you will be rewarded!

Chukers

jibb

Feb 9, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sterling in Va said:
When I asked "is it worth my time?", I didn't mean will I find thousands of old coins and relics. I am nearly 100% sure that that will never happen. I know I will never make a lot of money metal detecting, I probably will never find enough stuff to pay back the $150 I bought the detector for. I know that. I meant that I was wondering if there was a small chance of me coming across anything 50 years old or older.
As for the woods, a creek runs through it that was there 150 years ago, and I believe there is an old homestead near it.
Sorry if I worded the title like that. I meant metal detecting the place, not metal detecting in general.
After reading the first few responses to your questions about if you should hunt a particular woods or not I have to admit I felt bad for ya....You kinda got jumped on there! (not sure why so many are ready to gang up on the new guy for asking advice on where to hunt) I'm new to the hobby too and still learning as well. I've only hunted parks and schools so far but I'm finding lots of clad and other stuff and having a great time. I'm making a list of places I can think of that I think would have good prospects but I'm learning my metal detector "real good" and "perfecting" my plug digging before I start asking permission from whats on my list. If you have the opportunity to go ahead and hunt a woods I'd do it. Heck couldn't hurt to give it a shot....worst case you don't find anything or atleast anything good.
Oh and as far as making enough to pay for the metal detector well I'm not afraid to say it thats exactly my goal! I have about $15-$20 in clad so far and its going towards the $200 I spent on my detector. I don't count gas and batteries because If I wasn't metal detecting I would be spending money doing something else and probably something that has NO RETURN and not as much fun. :wink:

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When you pull your first coin out of the ground.....it will be worthwhile. When you pull your first relic out of the ground....it will be worthwhile. When you pull you first piece of gold out of the ground......it will be worthwhile. When you pull your first piece of silver out of the ground......it will be worthwhile. When you pull your first pull tab out of the ground.....it will be, ummm, uh, er....a learning experience, but, hey......learning is worthwhile!!

Kevin in IN

Feb 21, 2011
N.Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov.GT , Explorer SE Pro , Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,and welcome. Here is the method I use to find house sites that have long disappeared. Find the oldest plat book you can find. The county court house or library usually has these. For my county, the oldest I've found is 1879.In your area they may go back much older.Find the area you wish to hunt and make a copy or take a picture.Then go to google maps and get a satellite view of that area.You can then see where houses, roads,and other things have disappeared over time.This works so well I bought one at an auction and use it to find old hotels and beaches.Hope this helps.Time is one thing you will never get back.Some research can make the difference of wondering the woods aimlessly or digging the good stuff. HH Kevin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread