Is it Worth Metal Detecting?

Sterling in Va

Feb 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new to metal detecting and have been trying to figure out where to metal detect. I live in Chesterfield Va, just outside of Richmond. With all of the rich history around here, I was just wondering if hunting some woods near my house is worthwhile. From what I know, there were no civil war battles/skirmishes in this part of the county, and the area appears to have previously been farmland 100 years ago. Are these woods worth detecting or will I be wasting my time?
Thanks.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First welcome to Tnet forums.

We don't metal detect for profit. Most of us detect just to find stuff from the ground and we do it for the fun of discovery. We learn the history of an area, and even farm tools are a treasure to us if we had never found that kind before. Your woods might not have seen any Recorded Civil War action, but somebody in the past could have lost something there or even buried a cache near a certain tree. Look for square nails in the bottom of large limbs as it might have held a plum bob to mark where a cache could be.

If you are worried about wasting your time you might be in the wrong hobby. It is the expectation of what we might find that is the reward. When you detect with a buddy you will argue about who found the first penny.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
No, you don't just go into "any woods" and start detecting, and expect to find things. There has to have been something that HAPPENED there, for there to be things to find, to begin with. Ie.: an old homestead, or camp-spot, or fort, or stage stop, picnic site, and so forth.

Sure, if there was cultivation at one time (plowed fields) there *might* be some random coins, but still not worth it, in my mind, unless you're talking some reason for there to have been major people/foot-traffic. To just simply walk out to any "woods" is no worthwhile, unless you know something went on there, at the particular zone you are at.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Oh, and a post-script: The admonition I just gave may not be applicable to places in Europe, where some fields have been under continuous agriculture cultivation for 1 or 2 centuries! Over in Britain, for example, they don't necessarily have to know there was a habitation or villa or whatever there. To simply hit any ploughed field near the older areas, will eventually produce coins. But go figure, they've got 2k+ more years of history. Contrast to here, where our history is much shorter, and thus not as much time for those random field hand losses to accumulate.

scavenger

Oct 21, 2004
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre (Soon to be teknetics T2SE)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't get into metal detecting to become rich. Because it likely won't happen. I made that mistake years ago when I bought my detector. I thought i'd run out and find gold rings right and left (3 years of active detecting and I still havent found one good ring). I quickly learned to appreciate everything I found (except pulltaps and soda cans of course :tongue3:) because you don't always find good stuff. Don't have the illusion of finding priceless relics and jewelry worth thousands because though it does happen occasionally it's not the norm in my experience. Buy a detector to have fun, and if you do hit it big then that's a bonus. I usually go into a new hobby with low expectations that way if it doesn't go well I'm not too let down and if something great does happen it's exciting and a real energizer. I now appreciate detecting as a fun pastime and hobby. I'm soon to be upgrading my machine and maybe someday I'll find enough treasures to pay it off, if not I'll have fun in process.

Twisted One

Apr 18, 2011
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as your woods are concerned. You might look at another picture, such as what if the likely hood that one of the armies going from point A battle, to point B battle might have used those woods to get there. If they did, where might have they camped, typically level ground, near water if available, etc...

Secondly, if they did use those woods to go between battles look for records of skirmishes between battles, might not have been a major battle, but who knows if there wasn't a few small fights there.

Also you have to remember that before the war, there were trappers and hunters. Anything could be in those woods, the chances of finding it without know the history of those woods, or the possible location of a skirmish, or camp, or trappers lodge, are very slim, but you never know.

As other people said, just going out in the woods without the research the only thing you will most likely find is yourself lost. The other end of the hobby, is hitting parks and playgrounds, that where the wandering without research pans out. And they actually find things all the time, sometimes things of serious value, such as wedding rings, and necklaces.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
For financial profit? As a general rule...NO.

Exception being if you have the only rights to hunt a smokin hot Civil War battlefield that nobody has ever had access to before. Maybe a few other exceptions along the same lines.

You read of people here finding rings, coins, relics, worth thousands...trust me, those people are like one out of 10,000+in the hobby. Most THers don't find enough of any REAL value to pay for batteries and gas.

Like the Sandman says, you've got to do it for other reasons.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you are going to make MD work instead of a hobby. You never know what you will find and where you will find it. Each area has something to offer. Look at us who have no history in the area where we live and still MD. I will never find any CW stuff, or very old coins where I live. To far to go to venture in to the hidden treasures of Jesse James and all those guys. But I still MD for fun and exercise. When I posted my fist pocket spill I was happy. It is what you make of it.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sterling in Va said:
I'm new to metal detecting and have been trying to figure out where to metal detect. I live in Chesterfield Va, just outside of Richmond. With all of the rich history around here, I was just wondering if hunting some woods near my house is worthwhile. From what I know, there were no civil war battles/skirmishes in this part of the county, and the area appears to have previously been farmland 100 years ago. Are these woods worth detecting or will I be wasting my time?
Thanks.

1865, Richmond fell to union forces. "Tons" of military activity in the area before, during, and after this event. Also a lot of looting, which worried landowners and such, so you just never know what you might find? But as for "profit".....take up washing cars instead of banking on profit from metal detecting because it is a very rare thing. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
S

Sterling in Va

Feb 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I asked "is it worth my time?", I didn't mean will I find thousands of old coins and relics. I am nearly 100% sure that that will never happen. I know I will never make a lot of money metal detecting, I probably will never find enough stuff to pay back the $150 I bought the detector for. I know that. I meant that I was wondering if there was a small chance of me coming across anything 50 years old or older.
As for the woods, a creek runs through it that was there 150 years ago, and I believe there is an old homestead near it.
Sorry if I worded the title like that. I meant metal detecting the place, not metal detecting in general.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like you said earlier, a lot of old history in your area, and the area was pretty populated, so I'd have to say all kinds of old stuff should be scattered about everywhere. Just gotta put in the time to find it. :thumbsup:

Twisted One

Apr 18, 2011
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sterling in Va said:
When I asked "is it worth my time?", I didn't mean will I find thousands of old coins and relics. I am nearly 100% sure that that will never happen. I know I will never make a lot of money metal detecting, I probably will never find enough stuff to pay back the $150 I bought the detector for. I know that. I meant that I was wondering if there was a small chance of me coming across anything 50 years old or older.
As for the woods, a creek runs through it that was there 150 years ago, and I believe there is an old homestead near it.
Sorry if I worded the title like that. I meant metal detecting the place, not metal detecting in general.

If you can locate the old homestead, then good chance you will find some things, things of value? never know until you dig. Make sure if the homestead is on private property that you find the owner and ask permission first.
The 150 year old creek, still could be a good site along the banks, if it had wildlife at some point, it most likely had trappers, and hunters too. If it is a decent size creek might have even had some good camp sites, or even Native American home sites along it.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found some interesting things just hitting old trails and old camps in the woods.

One thing that I take advantage of is I cast my own balls for muzzleloading and lead is good forever. Old slugs and bullets live again.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to look at this hobby as an adventure and you never know what you'll find. You may never find enough coins to pay for the detector or even the batteries, but time spent away from home in the woods and fields by yourself is still lots better than waiting for the wife at the dress barn. Enjoy swinging the detector an enjoying being outdoors. Save every pull tab in a bucket so you can point to it later and remember them. An who knows what you'll find...........

justanotherbarber

Jan 30, 2012
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Vaquero, Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been detecting for 32 years and still have a job. :angry5: For me it's getting out with friends with the same intrest, or just by myself to unwind. The real treasure for me is when my wife and dog ask to go with. My wife will sit in the sun and read while my dog thinks it's funny to drop a tennis ball in my holes. :laughing9:

I won't even mention the health benifits.

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
With just a little time and research you may be very surprised to find what took place near you. You're close to Richmond & Petersburg. Troops moved out toward Appomatox through that area. The opportunity to find stuff is better where you are than a lot of places...

Check out the Chesterfield Historical Society web site and see what you can learn.
http://chesterfieldhistory.com

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Friend: The place you are at sounds good as any. Check by the river/stream banks by older trees & try to picture a campsite with the trees providing shade is a good start. Don't be discouraged, things show up when you least expect it. Another benefit with Metal Detecting is you are always able to take your metal detector/Hobby with you when you travel and go on vacation. You actually can pick your search site and trace a history of the region. By the way many vacation spots possibly can yield many finds in the beach sands of areas with a lot of tourist traffic. Personally, I don't know many hobbies that are mobile where you can take your hobbie with you and you can always pick it up or put it down for a later time. Just the hunt and hitting the next signal gets my heart going just to see what it is, kinda like a "rush" and it's crazy-cool. Where can you buy that! Good luck my friend and good luck with everything. Like my friend "Bubba" said: a gal is like a brick wall...
Keep hitting in the same spot and it's bound to give! The same is like treasure hunting, You get out what you put into it brother, Peace.

justanotherbarber

Jan 30, 2012
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Vaquero, Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
goldentruth said:
Like my friend "Bubba" said: a gal is like a brick wall...
Keep hitting in the same spot and it's bound to give! The same is like treasure hunting, You get out what you put into it brother, Peace.

LOL brother...AMEN TO THAT.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sterling in Va
I hunt in the woods all the time and yes just any old woods and they are full of stuff,most likely before the trees grew back they were farm fields.
Dont listen to people on where to hunt get premission and hunt.
Each farm was in its time a place where people worked the fields 24/7 and lost all kinds of stuff.
The guy who said you dont just go into the woods and hunt.....dosen`t know what he is talkin about don`t listen to him no one does!!
GARY G.A.P.metal

ds6191

Dec 29, 2007
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Check the woods! Ya never know. A lot of people on here are nervous because they are afraid of the "reality" shows that are gonna shine on this hobby in a different light,And all the newbies that could add to the frustrations of this great hobby. This place is great. Just remember, people didn't want to loose jewelry or money. Now worthless iron and old metal garbage.We find a LOT of that. Have fun and welcome to the forum and hobby. Dan :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread