All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome Stratos!
Great site to join and learn from!

K Zack

Feb 2, 2012
West Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab- Explorer XS, Excalibur 800, Sovereign XS-2 Pro, Fisher 1280X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to Metal Detecting and Treasure Net.
I wish you the best of luck.
Here is a link where you can post you request, most of the people on that thread are from Michigan. Also there are some clubs in Michigan, you might be able to hook up with someone from your area.
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/board,590.0.html
Kevin

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMHO the best thing you can do is find a quiet spot away from houses and powerlines and bury some clad coins from a few inches down to a foot (make a good map!). Then practice various settings and sweeps over those coins. You can even mark them with wood or plastic golf "T"s. Then: practice, practice, practice. Change settings and sweep directions - learn your detector.

I have a "coin garden" in my front yard I practice at frequently. I also "seeded" musket balls, shot shells, nails and pulltabs, and nickels above, below and beside iron nails. You get consistant finding nickels around iron you are well on your way.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome Stratos! It's still a little cold up there but do not dismay! Til it warms up... look taht machine over GOOD. Get onto as many forums as you can... no need to post.... and see what others are saying about the unit you bought. Learn it. Keep a log book. Really! The rest, well, you will see it posted many times... practice, practice, practice. And of course, good luck! TTC

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the hobby and addiction. :hello:

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
You got your hands full. Don't sweat not finding a teacher. Try test targets and bring further inquiries to the Tnet Garrett Forum, those guys will steer you right. The atgold is a lot of tector for a beginner, but I am sure you can handle it. Start off low sense, and high scrim and build a simple test garden, about ten targets, copper cent, zinc, clads, nickel, pull tab, a small bit of wadded alum foil, a silver dime and a silver quarter, all at 4" deep and at least a foot apart. Practice practice practice. Learn that machine and you will be rewarded.

Viddy

Aug 16, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, F2, Etrac, T2, V3i, AT Pro, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Vanquish 540, Go-Find 66, F5, Q60, Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
go some air tests in your house with some coins to see how your detector reacts and the sounds and stuff. Bury some coins in your yard for some sweep practice and pin pointing practice. I jsut got an AT Pro today, which is almost exactly like the AT Gold.
It's really simple compared to when I got my ETrac, which was like learning brain surgery... good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread