OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Well, took the Hays 2 Box out today to get back in the groove. I usually use the low setting, I know it will go 6' from actual experience. I set it on the high setting to air test. It tested out to app.18'. A 2 Box unit pickes up basicly in a circle around the operator. It's odd when you first start using one because it will pick up something in a wall beside you. When you pick up a surface object, it will pick it up in a radius around it. When you pick up a buried object, it will only pick it up from directly above the object. The null point has to be adjested occasionally because of changing ground conditions. if either box hits something, the null must be readjested. I normally run with the meter at 1 or 2 with a slight hum. When a target is detected, it jumps above 4 and my red light lights.
Hope this helps some of you 2 box users.

Attachments

• hand print-2_edited-3.jpg
    hand print-2_edited-3.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 252
    30.6 KB · Views: 252

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Frankn said:
Well, took the Hays 2 Box out today to get back in the groove. I usually use the low setting, I know it will go 6' from actual experience. I set it on the high setting to air test. It tested out to app.18'. A 2 Box unit pickes up basicly in a circle around the operator. It's odd when you first start using one because it will pick up something in a wall beside you. When you pick up a surface object, it will pick it up in a radius around it. When you pick up a buried object, it will only pick it up from directly above the object. The null point has to be adjested occasionally because of changing ground conditions. if either box hits something, the null must be readjested. I normally run with the meter at 1 or 2 with a slight hum. When a target is detected, it jumps above 4 and my red light lights.

18 feet!? Do you own a backhoe?

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Roland58 said:
Frankn said:

18 feet!? Do you own a backhoe?
I think you better have a back hoe even if it is only 6 feet....... I don't want to dig 14 inches for a small object.......unless i am in a field with a shovel.............Then i might go 2 feet..

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
The 18' was an air test. As explaned in the post, a 2 Box pickes up in a kind of circular pattern. In the high range, it goes out 18' for a large metal object. In this case it was a junk pile on the ground. If the object was buried, it would have only picked it up when I was directly over it. As stated, a 2 Box is quite different in picking up targets. The reason for this is the seperation of the coils and the fact that one is vertical and one is horizantal. You really have to use one for a while before you figgure out what is going on. Just trying to help you guys out.

Attachments

30.6 KB · Views: 340
    30.6 KB · Views: 341

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Frankn said:
The 18' was an air test. As explaned in the post, a 2 Box pickes up in a kind of circular pattern. In the high range, it goes out 18' for a large metal object. In this case it was a junk pile on the ground. If the object was buried, it would have only picked it up when I was directly over it. As stated, a 2 Box is quite different in picking up targets. The reason for this is the seperation of the coils and the fact that one is vertical and one is horizantal. You really have to use one for a while before you figgure out what is going on. Just trying to help you guys out.

Don't know anything about them, so, appreciate your info! Just what do you use this for? Is it only for large buried items or can it pick up small items (i.e. coins, rings, etc.)?? If it is only for large items, just how big does something have to be to give you a signal and how do you "pinpoint" it? Is there a website that covers all this? (I know, lots of questions......I'm just curious) :dontknow:

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Roland, It is used for cache hunting because of it dept capability and the fact that it will not pick up junk like nails which saves a lot of time. Basicly, depending on soil moisture and type of metal, It will not pickup anything smaller than a soda can. They have been around a long time and you can pick up a used one on E Bay now and then for about $250, A real bargan if you are a cache hunter. You pinpoint by aproaching the target slowly, and when it sounds off, you are standing on it. If done from several directions you can get a good idea of the target size. Some of the old ones like the old Whites 500XL have an angle guage to give you an idea of dept.

Attachments

30.6 KB · Views: 289
    30.6 KB · Views: 291

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been flirting with picking up a Fisher Gemini. I missed one on eBay a few weeks back. I've never used a two box yet....

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
The gemini is a good unit which is similar to my Hays. Make sure it is a transistor unit. Some of the gemini units of old were tube units with big heavy batteries that you can't get any more.

Attachments

30.6 KB · Views: 166
    30.6 KB · Views: 167

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread