Flying with Lithium Batteries

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know the availablity of the batteries, but can tell you the voltages are different with the Lithium and might not give good service.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as I know lithium batteries may not necessarily be the best choice either. Lithium batteries better on items that require a higher voltage, like digital cameras. I had used lithium in my detector and didn't get any noticeable advantage in additional usage. Stick with a regular battery, much cheaper in the long run.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Tdi is supplied with a Lithium battery as standard as high power pulse machines need "High Power"....in fact two batteries are supplied and you don't have the option of using anything else as it needs 14.4 volts and 500 ma of current and there's no space to go to a larger battery pack.

If you look at the box the detector is supplied with you will see a big warning notice "Forbidden in Passenger Aircraft". If an airline spots them you will end up sending the detector home in a taxi. Some cruise lines also won't allow lithium ion as they are dangerous and they don't want them to be recharged on board.

The new TDI SL, lightweight and not as deep version, uses standard rechargables so no problems. I would enquire what the airline you intend to travel on policy is. There are some that will allow these batteries to be transported out of the detector in an approved fire/explosion proof box. As for Australia there were several posts two years back re Australian airlines not allowing the import of even new uncharged batteries from China. They would have to be brought in by sea.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Maybe you could Fed X them to a friend or destination location in advance.

Attachments

• hand print-2_edited-3.jpg
    hand print-2_edited-3.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 296
    30.6 KB · Views: 279

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I flew domestic, had to put Li-Ion in checked luggage (they can't be in the passenger compartment). Not sure about international. Its fairly easy to check with the airline.

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To Rege-Pa: It may sound funny but Minelab is Auzzie, they are sure to have those batterys for your GPX 5000 in Austraila. Please correct me if I am wrong. maybe drop a dime and ask them @ Minelab. The other MD, I don't know. Good luck friend. (Brother Franklin has a good idea!) Peace.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At around $600 US I doubt if he would want to buy a battery before he really needs to.

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
U.K. Brian said:
At around $600 US I doubt if he would want to buy a battery before he really needs to.
Sorry, I did not know they are that much. I guess you are right not to pick one up in Aust. I have seen many dealers when ya buy a GPX 5000 who offer to throw in another additional battery pack so you have 2 packs.
Did not mean to talk out of my hat. I almost bought a Minelab but I never knew the parts are pricey. Mercy!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I do not think I would buy a detector that used a $600 dollar battery. Battery technology is advancing to fast for one reason. Li is new, but L-polymer is out there now and so is L-Fe. The Li is good for 3-5 years. It is good for about 1k recharge cycles and they the charge it can hold drops slowly with each charge.

Attachments

30.6 KB · Views: 234
    30.6 KB · Views: 240

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Frankn said:
I do not think I would buy a detector that used a $600 dollar battery. Battery technology is advancing to fast for one reason. Li is new, but L-polymer is out there now and so is L-Fe. The Li is good for 3-5 years. It is good for about 1k recharge cycles and they the charge it can hold drops slowly with each charge.
Frankn: That is a modest & Logical theory for most of value & price, I never thought of replacement of an expensive battery per cost. It is like you almost have to pay for Maint once the battery(s) have lost their life. Kodos to you for this observation. Personally I do not like to spend/buy things at full price & I like to get as much info with promise of results before I spend more than $500 to $900 of my money on a upgrade. That's me. Thanks for the info again which changes my mind about a later delema/pitt fall. As a previous Contractor I always turn over eqpt. before it gets too old and get value out so I can re-invest in newer eqpt. Kinda like MD's might have to move them before being obsolete unless it is a vintage sweetheart model that has been great.
Have a great day Bud.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions