Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Has your hearing declined from detecting with headphones??

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Nov 2008
    North Texas
    Ace 250, AT Pro
    152 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Has your hearing declined from detecting with headphones??

Just curious if others have had the same issue. My detector isn't loud enough in the wind, so I always use my headphones. Don't even have them loud. Seems like the ringing in my ears is getting much worse. Anyone else have this problem? Tinnitus is really annoying!!
    What?? Did you say something?? Speak up!

us
    Jan 2012
    New Mexico
    Minelab Equinox 800, E-trac
    46 times
    Metal Detecting

Re: Has your hearing declined from detecting with headphones??

I have been using a single headphone made by Rattler for about 3 months and I think it has helped. I keep the volume at about 50%. Of course, advancing years have some effect on overall hearing but I like the Rattler phone a lot. As a wise man once said, Time and gravity makes fools of us all!

us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    11371 times
    Metal Detecting

Get a pair with limiting circuitry (Black Widows, for example) that won't blow out your eardrums.
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

Jun 2007
    MA NH seacoast
    what ever works
    65 times

No but rockin in the 70s and 80s did not help.
    Treasure_Hunter likes this.

us
    Sep 2010
    Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
    8405 times

The navy got my hearing, I've had tinnitus ever since about 1955, and head phones are a requirement for me. I'm sure I miss some of the subtle changes of threshold, but the headphones help a lot. One of my ears is worse than the other, so I use Black widow phones with adjustments for each ear, and I can balance the threshold between them, and they cut the outside noise.
    Due to the high price of ammunition there will be no warning shot.

us
    Jul 2010
    Michigan
    2 Garrett AT Pro
    161 times

Not as of yet, but it wasn't real great when I started
    ROB

us
    Oct 2009
    7415 times

If your headphones are hurting your ears, you need a set with a volume control!

us
    The Past Tells the Future! Let's try not to do it over .

Feb 2011
    Strafford , Missouri
    Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
    15 times

I have to use headphones to be able to hear what is going on with the detector , with out them I miss a lot of the deep targets that just barely make a sound .
    But I use the ones with volume controls on each ear so I can set them were they do not hurt my ears !
    Few things I love to do is , Metal Detecting for anything of the past!
    Making Detectors better ! Tuning and finding ways to upgrade Detector hardware , To make them work the Best that is possable !

us
    Jan 2012
    Metal Detecting

got a nice pair of headphones that came with my 350 has a volume control which helps alot. but my hearing loss comes from shooting targets and clay pigeons when i was younger. if your headphones are too loud get yourself a pair with volume control or wear them around your head/neck sound will travel thru bone if they are that loud

us
    May 2008
    Wisconsin
    Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
    869 times

Nope, but a career in construction, rock music, and 44 mag pistol shooting probably did it.

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." — Friedrich Nietzsche

"You ask where I live. I cannot tell you. I am a Voyageur, a Chicot, sir. I live everywhere. My grandfather was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. My father was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. I will also die while en route, and another Chicot will take my place. Such is our course of life."

us
    Nov 2008
    North Texas
    Ace 250, AT Pro
    152 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Thanks for the comments. I do have headphones with volume control and try to keep them way down, but I guess I am just getting old!

us
    Sep 2007
    Cabin Creek
    Prizm V
    97 times

Just don't try to let your buddies hear what's going on within your own headphones and you'll be o.k.

us
    My Find of a Lifetime!

Oct 2006
    Philadelphia Area
    White's V3i, MX Sport, Dual Field PI, Minelab Excalibur 1000, Teknetics T2 SE
    619 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    I finally got to try out my new Pro*Star headphones earlier this week. They are so clear compared to the cheap ones I was using with my T2. The signals really "pop" even with the volume turned down to compensate for the threshold. Honestly, I'm getting a little worried about how those pops can damage my hearing... even at low volumes they are significant. Before I got the new headphones I was already beginning to hear a constant "threshold" in my head...not just while detecting, but when I'm in complete silence. So I Googled "Hearing Loss- Metal Detecting" and surprisingly came up with nothing related to hearing loss caused by metal detecting (other than this post). I've been detecting for over 10 years now and it's somewhat of a concern of mine and I see I'm not alone but thought there would be more on the subject.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    29229 times
    I did a lot more damage at the 50+ rock concerts I attended.........lol
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

USAF 1967-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

us
    Jul 2012
    Marshfield, MA
    1. Garrett AT PRO!! (Dec 2012) 2. Bounty Hunter TK4 Tracker IV Metal Detector & 3. Garrett Pro Pointer
    75 times
    Relic Hunting
    Oh boy... Now THIS is in my wheel house!

I spent 20 years on the radio as a music d.j. When I started out, my headphone dial was at about 8 o'clock. By the time I retired 20 years later, it was at about 4 o'clock! WAY up. I have high frequency hearing loss and every career jock I know will tell you - if you can hear them - WE'RE ALL DEAF!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links