Has your hearing declined from detecting with headphones??

baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

DigImust

Jan 30, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been using a single headphone made by Rattler for about 3 months and I think it has helped. I keep the volume at about 50%. Of course, advancing years have some effect on overall hearing but I like the Rattler phone a lot. As a wise man once said, Time and gravity makes fools of us all! :thumbsup:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get a pair with limiting circuitry (Black Widows, for example) that won't blow out your eardrums.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
The navy got my hearing, I've had tinnitus ever since about 1955, and head phones are a requirement for me. I'm sure I miss some of the subtle changes of threshold, but the headphones help a lot. One of my ears is worse than the other, so I use Black widow phones with adjustments for each ear, and I can balance the threshold between them, and they cut the outside noise.

flakefinder

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
2 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not as of yet, but it wasn't real great when I started :laughing9:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your headphones are hurting your ears, you need a set with a volume control!

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to use headphones to be able to hear what is going on with the detector , with out them I miss a lot of the deep targets that just barely make a sound .
But I use the ones with volume controls on each ear so I can set them were they do not hurt my ears !

NNJAL85

Greenie
Jan 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
got a nice pair of headphones that came with my 350 has a volume control which helps alot. but my hearing loss comes from shooting targets and clay pigeons when i was younger. if your headphones are too loud get yourself a pair with volume control or wear them around your head/neck sound will travel thru bone if they are that loud

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope, but a career in construction, rock music, and 44 mag pistol shooting probably did it.

OP
OP
baylorhall

baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the comments. I do have headphones with volume control and try to keep them way down, but I guess I am just getting old!

digging wv

Sep 16, 2007
Cabin Creek
Detector(s) used
Prizm V
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just don't try to let your buddies hear what's going on within your own headphones and you'll be o.k. :director: :nono:

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I finally got to try out my new Pro*Star headphones earlier this week. They are so clear compared to the cheap ones I was using with my T2. The signals really "pop" even with the volume turned down to compensate for the threshold. Honestly, I'm getting a little worried about how those pops can damage my hearing... even at low volumes they are significant. Before I got the new headphones I was already beginning to hear a constant "threshold" in my head...not just while detecting, but when I'm in complete silence. So I Googled "Hearing Loss- Metal Detecting" and surprisingly came up with nothing related to hearing loss caused by metal detecting (other than this post). I've been detecting for over 10 years now and it's somewhat of a concern of mine and I see I'm not alone but thought there would be more on the subject.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did a lot more damage at the 50+ rock concerts I attended.........lol

AnnieF

Jul 26, 2012
Western NC
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oh boy... Now THIS is in my wheel house!

I spent 20 years on the radio as a music d.j. When I started out, my headphone dial was at about 8 o'clock. By the time I retired 20 years later, it was at about 4 o'clock! WAY up. I have high frequency hearing loss and every career jock I know will tell you - if you can hear them - WE'RE ALL DEAF!!!!

woody_g

Mar 5, 2006
SPRINGTOWN TX
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 1000
had hearing loss prior to detecting.used to turn volume up on my headphones so i could hear signals clearer got a set of sun ray golds and could not believe the difference

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My hearing loss was established in the Navy working around airplanes. But, I told my mom and dad it was their fault for making me mow the lawn so many times without hearing loss! I too have tinnitus. I can only say that after a while you don't notice it so much. Seems to be more on the left side than the right. However, every once in a while it will suddenly go down slowly on the left and up on the right. It is so weird. It is like 3-D Surround Sound inside your head.

My GTI-1500 has a threshold volume control. I set that low, to where I can just hear it. In a way it is nice because I can get it to cancel out the tinnitus to a degree. Then I set the "find" sound a little higher so I do not miss a hit signal. I use ear buds. The full earphones are in some ways better, but I've never found a pair that really fits. They are a bit heavier. They are also hotter. I'm not out there to be miserable.

I don't think I miss any signals. Maybe I do. But they must be very faint.

bbells

Jan 5, 2013
Delano, MN
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guns, motorcycles, airplanes, explosions, and music have done more damage to my hearing than the metal detector ever could. FYI: There currently is medical research finishing up on a drug that will restore the hearing nerve damage caused by guns, motorcycles, airplanes, and music.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread