SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd start by doing a google search for San Gabriel mountains and civil war and reading everything. And you can check to see if there is a historical society online for that area.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Susan is right. "Google is your friend". And also browse historic museums in any/all cities around there. If they have file cabinets, see if you can browse through them under captions like "camps" and so forth. Sometimes these little historical societies have pamplets, booklets, etc... published decades ago, that have info that doesn't come up in google searches (ie.: little known boring details, that to an md'r, might be "gold" :))

And as for CA in general, there is a state-specific md'ing forum: Kinzli forum. Many So. CA folks chime in there.

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I first started out gold hunting by the San Gabriel mountians North of Irwindale. I was suprised to find the Sand & Gravel Company off the 405 freeway was number 3 gold producing in USA! It's funny the sand & gravel company considers the GOLD is a by-product.(Hummm). Now I went and found the East fork and I was looking for a old saloon/bar from the gold mining days. I tried my hand at the"East fork" and could not find a thing. But I was at the Mater Del Rosa Catholic retreat with my father when I was 17 rears old. Durring the retreat we had a break, my day asked me to hike with him up a dry stream he showed me a piece of quartz with gold in it. This was the first time I saw gold found. I never went back but If you go there and ask permission, I am sure the priests would give you the go ahead. Google the Catholic retreat area and it is at the foothills.
I hope this helps, I think it may be good for finding "Luvial Gold".
The dry streams have "Benches" like little shelves where Gold can rest and you can get lucky hitting in a small nugget field or so there. I don't think it has been worked due to the Priests & Brothers being on the property and they are good people. With a little bit of kindness and if you offer a % of your find to contribute to their
"retreat", from your "HOBBY", they just might let you check out the area. (Be sure to use the word "Hobby".)
The place is kinda Mystical being away from everything with all the Olive trees of Old. It's worth a try.
Good Luck friend, hopes this helps.

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
email me if you need directions to the " Old retreat" place Bro.
Also in So Cal, Irvine park is a very old hot spot if you coin hunt. You can ask at the park gate where you pay to go in if MD's are allowed because they have some fenced off/gated American Indian historical Rocks where they ground corn. Good luck.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
"You can ask at the park gate where you pay to go in if MD's are allowed "

Or you can just ask the attendant for a list of the rules (as they probably have a brochure, or booklet they can show you, or a website for the park's dept. to direct you to, etc....). If you see nothing on there specifically prohibiting metal detecting ........ then presto, I guess it's not disallowed :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
S
Mar 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wanted to thank all the advice everyone gave me... my 10yr old daughter an I tried to find as much info as we could (admit it was fun) but we had the most fun (and bonding time) when we just grabbed the MD's and went up some of the trails we found... We found ALOT of trash (packed it out with us in trashbags) alot of square cut nails, 1 old coin (oops I might have dropped it when she was loosing intrest and energy, she pepped up and I couldn't keep up with her). She wants to go again (every weekend!!!)... Again THANK YOU!!!

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad to hear you had fun. Go out again... you never know what you'll find. I always have had a "Pick-nick type of time when I took my boys. A few breaks with drinks to go always hits the spot. You might want to check out the area "Silverado" (It has had their share of floods,) a small town where Chapman ends as you head East! Good luck friend.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread