most gold coins found?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Some of you might know the story about "Camp Floyd" and "Johnston's Army" in Utah. The hunters who scoured that long ago, had something like a few dozen gold coins EACH. But aside from that story, does anyone know of the most gold coins found, by a md'r? For purposes of this question:

1) confined to individual numismatic coin-hunting losses (as opposed to a cache find, where lots could be in a single jar).

2) excluding gold coins found in jewelry (in bezels, etc...)

If anyone knows of anyone who has exceeded, say ....10 gold coins, please chime in. And tell what country that was in, etc.....

Upvote 0

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ahhhh yes, the Camp Floyd affair.

I myself have found none. But I still keep trying!!
Certainly SOMEONE must have found more than 13 gold coins in the USA (outside of the famous Camp Floyd/Johnston's army Utah deal) ?? And not counting caches or jewelry mounts. C'mon, anyone out there heard of anyone getting more individual gold coins than this? ???

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I myself have found none. However, an old Vietnam buddy of mine found a fence post treasure. TEN, yes TEN gold coins in a can. My brother in Bishop, Ca. saw the actual coins I only saw pictures. The coins were found NE of Bishop.

boris

Dec 17, 2011
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
tesoro stingray
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
people were careful with pennies back then, now they throw them away. think about it.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
I probly can't find it but a couple years ago I read a post on TNet about a dude hunting an old Army post and finding many gold coins, mostly $5
pieces. He had done due diligence and knew where the tents of the enlisted men were and knew that the men confined to base put down blankets
to gamble on. The soldiers were paid in gold so it must have been long ago. Can't remember the total but it was a lot more than those mentioned.
It was a western fort, either AZ or California. I'm guessing most of those lost coins were lost when "dissagreements" were going on.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread