most gold coins found?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Some of you might know the story about "Camp Floyd" and "Johnston's Army" in Utah. The hunters who scoured that long ago, had something like a few dozen gold coins EACH. But aside from that story, does anyone know of the most gold coins found, by a md'r? For purposes of this question:

1) confined to individual numismatic coin-hunting losses (as opposed to a cache find, where lots could be in a single jar).

2) excluding gold coins found in jewelry (in bezels, etc...)

If anyone knows of anyone who has exceeded, say ....10 gold coins, please chime in. And tell what country that was in, etc.....

Upvote 0

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A guy on T net named Tom has found 13. :laughing7:

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Certainly SOMEONE must have found more than 13 gold coins in the USA (outside of the famous Camp Floyd/Johnston's army Utah deal) ?? And not counting caches or jewelry mounts. C'mon, anyone out there heard of anyone getting more individual gold coins than this? ???

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hardly anyone has found more than one. :dontknow:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not me. I have found zero, zip, nada... and my name isn't Tom. You know more than you're telling???? .... Tom-in-CA???? TTC

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I read on Yahoo three weeks ago in France, a French winery find of cashe of 30 to 40 gold coins were found in one pile hidden in the walls.(Estimate was 50,000. also on TNET-here a question is posted about a plumber asking about rights of old silver coins he found while remodeling a house. You might go and check back in the headings of Cashe & treasure hunting.
Good luck.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a couple of people in the U.S. who have found a reasonable amount but they keep things quite. In land both will only use a Nautilus DMC which I can understand as two of my four gold coins this year fell to the Nautilus. Both use pulse detectors on the beach.

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I just got the answer to my question (as to if anyone has 13 or more) via a private PM. There is a fellow in the USA who's at 14 individual gold coins now (not counting caches or jewelry). Anyone out there heard of anyone else in this range?

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Tom,

One of my main hunting partners knows of another guy he used to hunt with when he was living down in the L.A. area. He was hunting an
empty lot in a small town near Edwards Air Force Base. He found spread out over a 50 foot area 15 to 20 gold coins of different denominations.
mainly 5, 10, and 20 dollar gold pieces. No joke! My friend is very reliable and knows the story well. This happened back in the 1980's.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Suprised Digger hasn't come in on this with his "boxes of silver and gold coins" (but to many finds to post !)

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gold

Well, not MDing but diving on a wreck one of my diving buddies found a brass tube while digging out a port hole from a wreck. Inside the tube was 19 gold sovereigns. We have gone on to find close to one hunderd so far.
Here is an older pix we don't have a current one yet. We might wait till after this season to get them all together again. (Not sure if the pic will come through but here goes.)
ZDD

All right, what gives. How do I add pictures??????:BangHead:

Last edited:

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Tom,

One of my main hunting partners knows of another guy he used to hunt with when he was living down in the L.A. area. He was hunting an
empty lot in a small town near Edwards Air Force Base. He found spread out over a 50 foot area 15 to 20 gold coins of different denominations.
mainly 5, 10, and 20 dollar gold pieces. No joke! My friend is very reliable and knows the story well. This happened back in the 1980's.

I'd a quit while I was ahead.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
P6210334s.jpg 21sovereignss.jpg GreekG.jpg P6210326A_02.jpg P6210330s.jpg

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Text disappeared for some reason....anyway the question was not about hoards or caches. Answers would be very different if all types of gold coin recoveries were include.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gold

I got it figured out but I guess I was too late to edit my post so here is the pic.

Attachments

• DSC02929.JPG
    DSC02929.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 397

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know that Tom started detecting when the transistor was invented, so he has the edge on most of you guys. I live in South Carolina. There were only 4 gold coins lost here, and I found all of them. I did manage to find 1 on the east coast of Florida. Most of our gold was stolen by the Yanks when they came down!!! Tony

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone having problems with the new forum ? Zodiac's picture (and about 10 % of others won't display on my computer since the change). All fine before. Also can't change the detector owned list. Wanted to delete one off and add another yesterday having sold my last XP and it would not work for love or money.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've dug a lot of American coins in my years of hunting but no Gold coins at all.
I've only seen a few at club meets, and I knew a guy in Charleston SC that showed me a $1 gold coin he said he found.
That's it...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread