Posted signs by the creek

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yesterday I was checking out my Whites GMT I got via UPS.
I live in the old 1849 mining town of French Gulch and I hit Clear Creek in town, I have been searching for over 2 years now, strange thing is I found somebody put up 2 signs which reads: No tresspassing! No Hunting or Fishing. This did not make me feel very good being shut out of a favorite search site of old hydrolic mining by his creek I have gone to so many times. The signs are posted on a metal Green iorn pole with white at the bottom. Many of those poles are common, you can pick them up anywhere and also many are left all over the place. Last week I saw a lot of vehicles in the area & people panning and slucing. I had talked to a ranger last year and he told me North of the whiskey town border he cannot enforce the NO MD hunting which whiskeytown has a ban of no Metal Detecting & Slucing (Whiskeytown does not even allow any digging knife over 6 inches & gold pans cannot be over 13 inches!) I called the BLM, Department: Bureau of land management who told me BLM land is permissable to metal detect and sluce & pan for gold on Clear Creek. Now I see this sign and this sign does not have any GOV/State markings or code number or phone contact number. The sign is blank at the bottom so I do not know what agency or who posted it? It is odd where you drive in there are no signs where you could see from the street only when you get to the path to go into the creek area?
I feel here some locals may have put up these signs to keep outsiders out so they can keep their lucky spot their own and keep others from finding "Their" gold.... Any Ideas my friends.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say if the property is not privately owned to ignore the signs till approached by B & M people.

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
If it is patented mining property they have a right to post. If it is claimed well you are not to be messing around. Its up to you to know where and who owns the land you are on.

OP
OP
goldentruth

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Update: I phoned the Dept of the Interior Bureau of land management and he said it is not one of the BLM signs and there are water rights as long as your feet are wet you can be in the creek area. They also said a person might have put up that sign and there are no mines there and a mine claim cannot be on that land and is not private property because the sign "Has No Name posted" on the sign as owned. The hills above shows that land may belong to the Forestery Dept. as a possible which can't be claimed. The BLM office were hery helpfull and invited me to come by and pick up a map of my area and all the land open to Metal Detectors to visit anytime. Good thing I phoned them, (Happy hunting grounds ahead)! :icon_thumleft:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
sounds like it might be a "slick player" doing mind games --by leaving it unmarked --you can not "prove" it was him that put the sign up on "public land" and it scares off 95 % of folks who do not want "trouble" and just blindly and unquestioning take the sign at face value. -- straight out of the dirty tricks 101 book :read2:

I'd ask the "officals" to remove the sign if its illegally posted --or-- better yet -- since you didn't put it up , just leave it -- it scares of other less questioning type folks and since you didn't put it up , your not at fault for it being there * so take advanage of the other guys "fake" posting -- thats from "dirty tricks 102 :read2:"

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NY is a little different. Private property does not need a "no tresspassing" sign for it to be tresspassing on private property. Check your county's website to see if they have a GIS link. That is a tax-map service and will give you the property owner's name (and sometimes address if non-resident to that property).

In fact, here is the link to Shasta County's GIS maps (The Internet is an incredible thing).

iParcelViewer

Zoom in or out to get your map bearings.

You can click on a parcel and open the Accessor's Map.

OP
OP
goldentruth

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went to the Shasta Dept. of Bueau of land Management and the chap gave me a few print outs of the BML land where Metal Detecting is permitted. I asked him about the area on the map where the sign was posted. I was told the sign is not on BLM land but the property might be state land and as long as my feet are wet, I have full access to hunt on the bank sides or in the creek. It would ne hard for someone to fight me in court if at the creek. If the sign does not have owners name or contact Ph number he said not to worry about it because it is not a leagally posted sign. Signs cannot be posted on the creek or any BLM land. (The hill up on the east side from the creek is forestry land). Respectfully, the sign might be fake.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread