Sep 6, 2009
Weeki Wachee, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites QXT Pro
Upvote 0

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
First find out who owns it and ask if you can do such. Yes they can be good. Research as in old maps and photos of an area can help tell what was on these lots. Some had old houses that were removed for some reason, camps, work sites etc..

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunting random fields isn't likely to get you anything except broken tractor parts and skoal lids. You aren't in England.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes there could be something there. And then there may not. As long as you have permission you might as well enjoy the time and the gamble that you will find something.

I often do no research at all, just need to walk an unknown field, with a small chance. But then that is my relaxation. Might not be yours. I used to like to fish too.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Jason is right. Here in the USA, not likely to be worth it to just walk out to any cultivated field, and expect to be worth it. There simply has to be some reason for you to hunt it. Eg.: a camp was there, a house used to be there (cellar hole, etc...), a fort, a stage stop, a carnival used to set up there, etc...

About the only place where it might pay to just hit random fields, is a 2000+ yr. old place like some European countries. There, they've seen thousands of years of continuous cultivation of the same fields. So ... yeah.... even if there were no actual habitations or specific usage, yet odds are, with that many years of field hands coming and going, stuff eventually adds up. But here in our relatively young USA, you're talking needles in hay-stacks with our fields that are, at most, 200-ish years old of crop-usage. *Maybe* some possible exceptions in super old areas of the older eastern colonial areas? Still though, even there, I'm sure they still research what was in fields, when picking fields, so they're not just "random".

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Random field? No such thing. Find out who owns it. Tax records will indicate where and who is to be contacted. Get the place into your "places" notebook. Keep checking. Is there evidence kids hang out there? Old trees there? Get this all in the book! RESEARCH the place thouroughly. Now... it no longer is a Random Field. Go for it! TTC

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have hunted what looks like a random field. But back in the mid 1700's there was an indian village nearby this field. I knew there had to be something around given the history of the area. The field and surrounding woods are public. So after hunting for over a year looking a productive site on the many,many acres of land I finally found a productive site with many fur trade era relics on it. The site itself was only 50 feet in diamter or so. I'm currently looking for another site on the same land further downstream. Maybe within a year I'll find another productive site. If there's history there and you have plenty of patience then I'd say go for it.

-Swartzie

K Zack

Feb 2, 2012
West Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab- Explorer XS, Excalibur 800, Sovereign XS-2 Pro, Fisher 1280X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is it worth hunting a random field or would it be a waste of time?
First off, old maps are not the do all and end all. Sometimes they are Right,
Sometimes Not. Many of the real old places are Not on the Maps.
In 15 or 17 years or what ever it has been since I first picked up a Metal Detector I have hunted many fields just because I had permission to do so.
I have done real well in some, got a days walk in others.
Can I say that I ever wasted my time on these empty fields?
NO, I did not waste the time, I was outside doing what I love.

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Random fields can be feast or famine. Found this in a "random field" in 8 inch high dead grass/hey:

Attachments

• AAA 003.JPG
    AAA 003.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 316
  • AAA 004.JPG
    AAA 004.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 300

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Random Field?... Check it out anyways. "It's like a box of chocolates" Ya don't know what you'll find.
or Ya dont know what is it until ya step in it. ( I've heard of a guy who was plowing a field and "Ka Blam" he hit a small Gold boulder.)or (The guy who bought a building and a old safe was inside, he threw it out into the vacant lot nearby and the cops saw it was abandoned so the had a cutting torch to it to find if any guns etc were inside and it had $200.000 in bills inside!) NO VENTURE...NO GAIN!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
guys that say - there is probably nothing there -are wrong
I hit random fields all the time