Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By K Zack

Thread: Detecting random fields?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Sep 2009
    Weeki Wachee, FL
    Whites QXT Pro
    4 times

Detecting random fields?

I keep driving by this huge grass field area and ever time i do i can't help but to think what might be buried there. Then i keep telling myself how it looks like a field that doesn't see alot of action or play. My question is how many have hunted random fields that they know nothing about? And what if any thing was found?

Feb 2008
    19 times

Re: Detecting random fields?

First find out who owns it and ask if you can do such. Yes they can be good. Research as in old maps and photos of an area can help tell what was on these lots. Some had old houses that were removed for some reason, camps, work sites etc..

us
    Oct 2009
    1907 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Hunting random fields isn't likely to get you anything except broken tractor parts and skoal lids. You aren't in England.

us
    what hath god wrought

Feb 2009
    Gateway to the 1000 Islands
    Sometime(s)
    714 times
    tectin crap

If there is a random field to detect, there surely is a random coin there. How's your patience level?
    Federal Bureau of Governmental Redundancy Reduction Agency

Charter Member
    us
    Living the WP

Apr 2006
    Chesterfield, Va.
    Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
    1606 times

Yes there could be something there. And then there may not. As long as you have permission you might as well enjoy the time and the gamble that you will find something.

I often do no research at all, just need to walk an unknown field, with a small chance. But then that is my relaxation. Might not be yours. I used to like to fish too.
    Thomas Paine-
    "Government even in its best state is but a necessary evil," Paine wrote, and "in its worst state an intolerable one." Like many Americans today, Paine believed that government added insult to injury by using tax dollars in ways that were actually harmful to the public. "When we suffer," wrote Paine, "or are exposed to the same miseries by a government which we might expect in a country without government, our calamities are heightened by reflecting that we furnish the means by which we suffer." To Paine, "securing freedom and property to all men, and, above all things, freedom of religion," were the only legitimate functions of government. Americans generally agreed, and went to war to achieve this vision.
    http://mises.org/freemarket_detail.aspx?control=233

"People whose lives are barren and insecure seem to show a greater willingness to obey than people who are self-sufficient and self-confident. To the frustrated, freedom from responsibility is more attractive than freedom from restraint. They are eager to barter their independence for relief of the burdens of willing, deciding and being responsible for inevitable failure. They willingly abdicate the directing of their lives to those who want to plan, command and shoulder all responsibility." ~Eric Hoffer “The True Believer”

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. --Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    1819 times
    Banner Finds (3)

Jason is right. Here in the USA, not likely to be worth it to just walk out to any cultivated field, and expect to be worth it. There simply has to be some reason for you to hunt it. Eg.: a camp was there, a house used to be there (cellar hole, etc...), a fort, a stage stop, a carnival used to set up there, etc...

About the only place where it might pay to just hit random fields, is a 2000+ yr. old place like some European countries. There, they've seen thousands of years of continuous cultivation of the same fields. So ... yeah.... even if there were no actual habitations or specific usage, yet odds are, with that many years of field hands coming and going, stuff eventually adds up. But here in our relatively young USA, you're talking needles in hay-stacks with our fields that are, at most, 200-ish years old of crop-usage. *Maybe* some possible exceptions in super old areas of the older eastern colonial areas? Still though, even there, I'm sure they still research what was in fields, when picking fields, so they're not just "random".
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

us
    Come out from under your bed today...... DO SOMETHING!

Jun 2008
    Yarnell,AZ and Titusville,FL
    Right now: Garrett GTA 500, ACE 250, Fisher Impulse 8, Gold Bug 2, Whites GMT, Vibraprobe 570, and Falcon MD20
    1651 times
    Coinshooting, Gold prospecting, and Nuggetshooting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Random field? No such thing. Find out who owns it. Tax records will indicate where and who is to be contacted. Get the place into your "places" notebook. Keep checking. Is there evidence kids hang out there? Old trees there? Get this all in the book! RESEARCH the place thouroughly. Now... it no longer is a Random Field. Go for it! TTC
    ONE MIND - ANY WEAPON

us
    Mar 2009
    Tuscarawas County, Ohio
    Tesoro Tejon
    42 times
    Relic Hunting
    I have hunted what looks like a random field. But back in the mid 1700's there was an indian village nearby this field. I knew there had to be something around given the history of the area. The field and surrounding woods are public. So after hunting for over a year looking a productive site on the many,many acres of land I finally found a productive site with many fur trade era relics on it. The site itself was only 50 feet in diamter or so. I'm currently looking for another site on the same land further downstream. Maybe within a year I'll find another productive site. If there's history there and you have plenty of patience then I'd say go for it.

-Swartzie
    Keep calm and dig on

us
    Feb 2012
    West Michigan
    Minelab- Explorer XS, Excalibur 800, Sovereign XS-2 Pro, Fisher 1280X
    52 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Is it worth hunting a random field or would it be a waste of time?
    First off, old maps are not the do all and end all. Sometimes they are Right,
    Sometimes Not. Many of the real old places are Not on the Maps.
    In 15 or 17 years or what ever it has been since I first picked up a Metal Detector I have hunted many fields just because I had permission to do so.
    I have done real well in some, got a days walk in others.
    Can I say that I ever wasted my time on these empty fields?
    NO, I did not waste the time, I was outside doing what I love.
    Grogan14 likes this.
    Live to Hunt, Hunt to Live

us
    Strip Minning Northern California, one Silver Coin at a time....but never leave a trace...

Nov 2006
    In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern California
    Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. , , Garrett Pro Pointer
    433 times
    Metal Detecting
    Random fields can be feast or famine. Found this in a "random field" in 8 inch high dead grass/hey:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AAA 003.JPG 
Views:	186 
Size:	228.9 KB 
ID:	618614   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AAA 004.JPG 
Views:	185 
Size:	190.5 KB 
ID:	618615  
    Hunting San Francisco Bay Area since 1985

Feb 2008
    19 times
    Well at least you did not have to wear them bracelets away from that field.

us
    "John Holmes Jr."

Nov 2011
    French Gulch, North Calif.
    "WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
    28 times
    Metal Detecting
    Random Field?... Check it out anyways. "It's like a box of chocolates" Ya don't know what you'll find.
    or Ya dont know what is it until ya step in it. ( I've heard of a guy who was plowing a field and "Ka Blam" he hit a small Gold boulder.)or (The guy who bought a building and a old safe was inside, he threw it out into the vacant lot nearby and the cops saw it was abandoned so the had a cutting torch to it to find if any guns etc were inside and it had $200.000 in bills inside!) NO VENTURE...NO GAIN!
    GOLD IS WHERE YOU FIND IT.. IT CAN HIDE BUT WHEN REAL IT DON'T LIE!
    My Mama Never raised No Fool... I Was Adopted!

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
    2985 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    guys that say - there is probably nothing there -are wrong
    I hit random fields all the time
    as long a people worked those fields - being for crops or hay
    be it 200yrs ago or to present day
    you should be able to find all kinds of items lost
    just make sure you get permissions
    do some research on the areagood luck
    "Casper" - coincidence -check it out - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casper_(name) -
    Motto = "I try to hit where others cant or others wont "

Sponsors