Gotta question on weird signals?

Dec 16, 2004
Today on our second time out with our Prizm IV at the park looking for coins there were a few times that I would get a pretty strong signal at first and then I'd start to pin point the object and the beep would go completely away. I could put it back in the regular model and start over again and it would take several swings over the spot before it would start beeping again and then sometimes it would only beep going in one direction over the original spot that I was getting a good reading at first. It looks like it should have beeped in both directions if there was a piece of metal there all the time regardless.

After we dug several of these type signals we noticed it wasn't over a coin any time that happened so we didn't dig those funky signals any longer. Usually it was a piece of foil that seemed to cause it. But to me it looks like if it's reading any kind of metal in one direction it still should read it in both directions and it shouldn't go completely away at other times? It's almost like the detector had to reset it's self after I took it back out of the pin point mode? ???

Anybody else ever have a reading to disappear after getting a beep showing something was there to initially?

I guess this is one of those get to know your detector kind of things? At least it didn't do it over an item that was worth something it would appear.

Smitty

Upvote 0

Bob B.

Oct 27, 2004
I don't know about the Prizm's but with my Classic ID if you only get a signal in one direction or its not a constant signal its junk, ie. pulltab, foil etc.. I think its just a matter of learning what your new detector is telling you and that only comes with practice. HH Bob.B

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with BOB, I use a Sovereign. and once in awhile, if I forget myself & swing too fast, the Discrimination (I work in Iron Mask) will fail, untill I slow down, & try to pinpoint. then the DISC will kick in & let me know it's either a nail and just signal in one direction, or Ground conditions and completly disappear. TAKE YOUR TIME, learn your machine, and don't be afraid to ask questions. You'll get it? :) HH ; Jeff

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread