Southern California/Beijing
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
(A gift from Hosensack)
Fisher F2
Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey everybody! I'm new to these forums, but I was researching things like this and I want to give it a go myself. I am thinking of purchasing a metal detector with some friends, in the $80 range. I know this probably won't be the best I could get, but I'm only 13, so money doesn't flow from my pockets :D Could anyone give me some tips on where to look? I live in the southern California area. Thanks for letting me tap into your experience! :)

Upvote 0

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Thanks everyone! I will probably at least start with my discrimination at 0, and I won't use the detector on wet sand. Also, thanks for the advice sterling, I am saving up for a better one right now. Thanks for everyone's help!

One more thing: When MDing in grass it is best to cut out a hole in the grass with a knife, and then dig a hand shovel underneath the grass, correct?

You might want to practice in your own yard first or that of a friend or relative. Most folks never hunt their own yard, so it would be a good place to start.

Happy Hunting.

OP
OP
Guadalcanal

Guadalcanal

Mar 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
(A gift from Hosensack)
Fisher F2
Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My MD just arrived and I detected using the plug method. :) 13 cents today, not getting my hopes down!

tngirl

Mar 16, 2012
N. Middle Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x & 1280 Aquanaut, White's XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck! I hope you find lots of good stuff.8-)

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
its a start --

you found money and your machine clearly works .

OP
OP
Guadalcanal

Guadalcanal

Mar 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
(A gift from Hosensack)
Fisher F2
Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm having problems today :/ I have been detecting for an hour since I got home from school, and I got lots of signals, but nothing I dug for was there. Also, I am having trouble pinpointing where things are. Can anyone help?

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kudos to you Hosensack, very comendable:notworthy:

mal asterley

Apr 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett are very popular over here in England I had a 250 sport myself and was brillianf but cost more than you have to pay , I have just picked up a nice vintage Arado 120 B , did you have Arado over there ??? .

Mal .

OP
OP
Guadalcanal

Guadalcanal

Mar 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
(A gift from Hosensack)
Fisher F2
Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've got a Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II. It was a gift, and I can't really afford a high quality one. Also, i am having some issues. I cannot find ANYTHING!!!!!!!!! The best thing I get is ghost signals. :( :(:BangHead: Does anyone have any tips on how to find coins?
Thanks!

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ghost signals may be from small bits of eroded iron, two things "circle" any signal you get, in other words find it and move around it if you get a repeatable signal all or most of the way around, dig. Also when you get questionable signals(that have the characteristics of your ghost signals) raise the coil a few inches higher if it is small pieces of corroded iron particles the signal will very likely go away.

OP
OP
Guadalcanal

Guadalcanal

Mar 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
(A gift from Hosensack)
Fisher F2
Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks! There is a problem with the depth meter though. :/ I see something that says "25 Cents, 4 Inches" I dig down about 2 feet and it says "25 cents, or some other thing in the silver range, 4 Inches" I haven't even found a piece of trash all day today, after 3 hours of hunting :dontknow: :(

NewSeeker

Jul 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still have it?

gUESS i AM TO LATE i HAVE AN OLDER WHITES METER TYPE guess will give it to myt kid if she ever sparks and inteest. to her I am a nut....if it had a barbie girl on the side she would do it....

I'm newly interested, if you still have a used one you'd like to sell i would be interested in it. I find this hobby very Intriguing. Or do you have one that you would atleast recommend? i'd be looking in the shallow water possibly too because i live by the beach.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread