Southern California/Beijing
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
(A gift from Hosensack)
Fisher F2
Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey everybody! I'm new to these forums, but I was researching things like this and I want to give it a go myself. I am thinking of purchasing a metal detector with some friends, in the $80 range. I know this probably won't be the best I could get, but I'm only 13, so money doesn't flow from my pockets :D Could anyone give me some tips on where to look? I live in the southern California area. Thanks for letting me tap into your experience! :)

Upvote 0

williamsingr

Mar 15, 2012
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT PRO, Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im not sure if thats even enough to buy a cheap Radio shack version, your better off saving up until you got aboyt 200 bucks then check all the forum classifieds and fins a deal

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can save up for a Bounty Hunter which will get you started till you get enough to buy a better detector. The important thing is to learn as you go along and remember its all for fun.

Last edited:

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Bounty Hunter Quik Draw II. If you are interested you can have it for the cost of shipping, it isn't the most beautiful thing in the world and it isn't the best either, but it does work and will help get you started till you can afford a better one. The conditions are: learn to recover your targets properly, always fill your holes properly, take the time to learn the hobby right...TNet is a great place for this. Let me know, PM me if you are interested.

ds6191

Dec 29, 2007
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just remember it's not the machine that finds the goods. It's the person using it. My son,who also happens to be 13 found a 1940 Canadian half dollar. He has also found a lot of clad money with it. Not bad for a machine that was given to him because it didn't sell in a garage sale. I just saw Hosensack's offer. You should jump on that offer.That's very nice of you,Hosensack. :thumb_up: Dan

River Hound

Dec 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey bro i was using a bounty hunter fast tracker for like ten years i loved it it paid for it self many times over i just recentley got an ace 250 anyway radio shack on line 100 bucks if i were to buy another one id buy one with a solid coil the shaft is like a sight much easeer to pin point targets and u can detect in the dark prety easey hey if u got anymore questions message me all be happy to help happy hunting
the river hound

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a Bounty Hunter Quik Draw II. If you are interested you can have it for the cost of shipping, it isn't the most beautiful thing in the world and it isn't the best either, but it does work and will help get you started till you can afford a better one. The conditions are: learn to recover your targets properly, always fill your holes properly, take the time to learn the hobby right...TNet is a great place for this. Let me know, PM me if you are interested.

Class Move.

Your a good person Hosensack.

have a good un......
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd take Hosensacks offer if you are stuck at the $80 mark.... otherwise cruise the yardsales or classifieds where you can actually make sure the machine works.

Theres nothing wrong with the old analog machines for a starter unit... so if you find one that works, dont count it out.

Good luck, hope you find something that works out for you.

OP
OP
Guadalcanal

Guadalcanal

Mar 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
(A gift from Hosensack)
Fisher F2
Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, thanks Hosensacks, PM sent! :)
Does anyone know of any good places to look in the Los Angeles area?
(Thanks for all the replies XD)

Coldshot

Mar 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gUESS i AM TO LATE i HAVE AN OLDER WHITES METER TYPE guess will give it to myt kid if she ever sparks and inteest. to her I am a nut....if it had a barbie girl on the side she would do it....

OP
OP
Guadalcanal

Guadalcanal

Mar 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
(A gift from Hosensack)
Fisher F2
Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Haha, that's funny! :) So... any SoCal residents with any tips on where to hunt?
Thanks,
Guad

OP
OP
Guadalcanal

Guadalcanal

Mar 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
(A gift from Hosensack)
Fisher F2
Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Still waiting on shipping, so in the meantime, what is everyone's general opinion on where to search? Beaches, parks, fields, spots where gold has allegedly been found etc.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
learn to use te discrimation * its how you tell trash from treasure and alway cover your holes and it will take some time to learn how to properly use your machine - its not quite as easy as it seems but it can be a lot of fun .

OP
OP
Guadalcanal

Guadalcanal

Mar 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
(A gift from Hosensack)
Fisher F2
Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is it best to discriminate out things, and risk missing treasure, or to just discriminate things and not be bothered?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
well a lot depends upon the type of hunter that you are --are you a I must miss nothing * I must find all gold even the smallest flyspeck of it --then by all means "go zero discrimination " and dig it all (be prepared to do a whole lot of digging per gold ring found ) --however if you are wilingl to risk not finding tiny bits of gold like say a earring --then you can set your disc up to cut out many pulltabs -- (not all but many of them --while still hitting rings and other decent gold items)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it best to discriminate out things, and risk missing treasure, or to just discriminate things and not be bothered?

If you really want to learn to detect, dont discriminate out anything, learn what sounds they make...... Oh and if you go to the beach, stay away from any wetsand, it will drive that detector nuts due to the salt minerals in the water..... Start off on dry land and learn to hunt that first, beach hunting is a whole another ball game and it takes a special detector to handle the high mineralization......

Sterling in Va

Feb 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guadalcanal-I was just like you about 6 months ago. I'm 14, so money isn't easy for me to get either. When i was looking for a detector, i too was looking for one in that range, but eventually realized that if i got an $80 detector, if i got into the hobby like I am now, I would need a better one very quickly. Therefore if I was you, I would look for a Garret Ace 150 or 250, Fisher F2, or a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV on craigslist. All of these are retail at $100-$200. They are all good entry level to intermediate detectors, and work great. Look for ones on Craigslist. They all can be bought at 60%-70% of retail on Craigslist. In the end, after about 3 weeks of waiting for a deal on Craigslsit, i finally got a Fisher F2 for $150, which retails for $212. Be patient. Eventually a great buy is bound to come.

OP
OP
Guadalcanal

Guadalcanal

Mar 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
(A gift from Hosensack)
Fisher F2
Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone! I will probably at least start with my discrimination at 0, and I won't use the detector on wet sand. Also, thanks for the advice sterling, I am saving up for a better one right now. Thanks for everyone's help!

One more thing: When MDing in grass it is best to cut out a hole in the grass with a knife, and then dig a hand shovel underneath the grass, correct?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
cut a u / hoeseshoe shaped "flap " in the grass fold back the grass "flap'--using a hand trowel dig out your target keeping the dirt close to the hole (just in case you dig out the target in the dirt you remove) once the target is recovered -replace the dirt and replace the "flap" -- if yor "target " disappears look out for rust ciolors in the dirt as some times iron items rust to bits bit leave their signal behind in the rust as you dig up the rust it breaks up the signal --bingo --dissappearing target* - always recheck your hole especially if you find a coin -- sometimes theres more than one coin in a hole

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread