Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Looking to buy a metal detector

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Mar 2012
    Southern California/Beijing
    Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II (A gift from Hosensack) Fisher F2 Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
    21 times
    Metal Detecting

Looking to buy a metal detector

Hey everybody! I'm new to these forums, but I was researching things like this and I want to give it a go myself. I am thinking of purchasing a metal detector with some friends, in the $80 range. I know this probably won't be the best I could get, but I'm only 13, so money doesn't flow from my pockets Could anyone give me some tips on where to look? I live in the southern California area. Thanks for letting me tap into your experience!

us
    Mar 2012
    U.P. Michigan
    V3i, MXT PRO, Coinmaster
    9 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Im not sure if thats even enough to buy a cheap Radio shack version, your better off saving up until you got aboyt 200 bucks then check all the forum classifieds and fins a deal

Charter Member
    us
    Director-Search & Recovery Team of Oakland County.

Aug 2005
    In Michigan now.
    Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them.
    2221 times
    You can save up for a Bounty Hunter which will get you started till you get enough to buy a better detector. The important thing is to learn as you go along and remember its all for fun.
    Last edited by Sandman; Mar 28, 2012 at 08:41 AM.
    (C) Sandman, 2005. All Rights Reserved.
    "TIME IS THE ONLY THING YOU NEVER GET BACK, WHY WASTE IT SWINGING A DETECTOR THAT ISN'T UP TO THE TASK."

Charter Member

Apr 2007
    Mertztown, Pa
    Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
    77 times
    I have a Bounty Hunter Quik Draw II. If you are interested you can have it for the cost of shipping, it isn't the most beautiful thing in the world and it isn't the best either, but it does work and will help get you started till you can afford a better one. The conditions are: learn to recover your targets properly, always fill your holes properly, take the time to learn the hobby right...TNet is a great place for this. Let me know, PM me if you are interested.

us
    Dec 2007
    Illinois
    E Trac
    Metal Detecting
    Just remember it's not the machine that finds the goods. It's the person using it. My son,who also happens to be 13 found a 1940 Canadian half dollar. He has also found a lot of clad money with it. Not bad for a machine that was given to him because it didn't sell in a garage sale. I just saw Hosensack's offer. You should jump on that offer.That's very nice of you,Hosensack. Dan

us
    Dec 2011
    67 times
    hey bro i was using a bounty hunter fast tracker for like ten years i loved it it paid for it self many times over i just recentley got an ace 250 anyway radio shack on line 100 bucks if i were to buy another one id buy one with a solid coil the shaft is like a sight much easeer to pin point targets and u can detect in the dark prety easey hey if u got anymore questions message me all be happy to help happy hunting
    the river hound

May 2005
    19 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosensack View Post
    I have a Bounty Hunter Quik Draw II. If you are interested you can have it for the cost of shipping, it isn't the most beautiful thing in the world and it isn't the best either, but it does work and will help get you started till you can afford a better one. The conditions are: learn to recover your targets properly, always fill your holes properly, take the time to learn the hobby right...TNet is a great place for this. Let me know, PM me if you are interested.
    Class Move.

Your a good person Hosensack.

have a good un......
    SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS
    In the academies many books, at the circus many sacks of peanuts, at the club rooms many cigar butts.

us
    Mar 2011
    Chandler Tx
    White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
    45 times
    Metal Detecting
    I'd take Hosensacks offer if you are stuck at the $80 mark.... otherwise cruise the yardsales or classifieds where you can actually make sure the machine works.

Theres nothing wrong with the old analog machines for a starter unit... so if you find one that works, dont count it out.

Good luck, hope you find something that works out for you.
    If you ever hit the big one detecting....follow the 3S rule. Shoot. Shovel and Shut up.

us
    Mar 2012
    Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II (A gift from Hosensack) Fisher F2 Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
    21 times
    Metal Detecting
    Wow, thanks Hosensacks, PM sent!
    Does anyone know of any good places to look in the Los Angeles area?
    (Thanks for all the replies XD)
    Back detecting in California and Arizona!

Charter Member
    us
    Chronic Patriot

Jul 2010
    Watkins Glen N.Y. Finger Lakes Region,Beaver Dams N.Y.
    Teknetics T2 LTD Enhanced,Tesoro Toltec II Gray Ghost Ultimate's,Depth Master Super Phones II,Garrett Pro Pointer,Treasure Wise Diggers T10",T12" & T14" 28" Lesche Ground Shark
    1294 times
    Very nice of you Hosensacks
    I`v been detecting for 45 years owned my own detector shop G.A.P. Metal Detectors here in N.Y.
    See my old adds in Western & Eastern Treasures and Lost Treasure Magazines through the 90s
    I hunt the Sullivan Trail here in N.Y.
    Its the Golden Rule who ever has the Gold Rules"
    ReadyShovel Holster

Mar 2012
    gUESS i AM TO LATE i HAVE AN OLDER WHITES METER TYPE guess [I] will give it to myt kid if she ever sparks and inteest. to her I am a nut....if it had a barbie girl on the side she would do it....

us
    Mar 2012
    21 times
    Metal Detecting
    Haha, that's funny! So... any SoCal residents with any tips on where to hunt?
    Thanks,
    Guad

us
    Mar 2012
    21 times
    Metal Detecting
    Still waiting on shipping, so in the meantime, what is everyone's general opinion on where to search? Beaches, parks, fields, spots where gold has allegedly been found etc.

us
    da book worm--researcher

Feb 2007
    callahan,fl
    delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
    774 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    learn to use te discrimation * its how you tell trash from treasure and alway cover your holes and it will take some time to learn how to properly use your machine - its not quite as easy as it seems but it can be a lot of fun .

us
    Mar 2012
    21 times
    Metal Detecting
    Is it best to discriminate out things, and risk missing treasure, or to just discriminate things and not be bothered?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links