St.Augustine Florida bans metal detectors - Page 7
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 135
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: St.Augustine Florida bans metal detectors

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #91

    Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    13,667
    10084 times
    Banner Finds (4)

    reply

    Quote Originally Posted by Twisted One View Post
    ...... I am starting to feel that this is not that hobby, only due to the confusion on both the hobbyist and the law enforcement sides, .....

    Redding, CA? As Th'r says, do as you want. But I too don't see how you don't lack for a million places to hunt. I'm in the central coast of CA (south of San Jose), and never run out of places to hunt here. Why would Redding area be any different? I fear you are waiting for places with neon signs that say "detecting welcome here". If that's what you're waiting for, then, you're right, this won't be for you. Because rather than looking for express "yes's", you have to just go wherever there's no express dis-allowance/prohibitions. To think otherwise, and ..... yeah, you've lost before you start.

    And as far as lack-of-history, just how old were expecting to get? I hunted in your area before and got coins back to the 1800's. Aside from the Oregon Trail and gold rush era influence, you *at least* have old victorian home era things, old campgrounds from the CCC era, and so forth. But ...... do as you want.

  2. #92
    us
    Jul 2007
    Florida
    Minelab, Tesoro
    694
    6 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    what prompted this decision now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Twisted One View Post
    For all of those people saying, that metal detecting is not under threat guess what.

    City expands limits on performers, vendors | StAugustine.com

    According to this article you now have to get a permit through the city archaeologist to be able to metal detect in St. Augustine Florida. How long before other areas take on this same ruling?

    What has prompted this decision now after all of these years?

  3. #93
    us
    Apr 2011
    Redding, CA
    MXT Pro
    480
    6 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quick history lesson for my area, as given to me by research and two of the leading local history experts, one of which is a metal detectorist.

    This area was settled in 1872 when the railroad finally came through. There are several wagon tails well over grown and hidden, and used fairly often for military purposes during the periods of war. There were two major recorded battles between the Native Americans and Americans, and tons of skirmishes.
    Most of the wagon trails, and almost every military used wagon trail is either covered over, or on NPS, or Federal lands. The two major battles both took place in an area that is now a state park.
    The uncovered portion of one of the military routes, and both battle locations have historical monuments in place.

    The next wave of history would be gold rush period, still a lot of gold to find here, but not really what I was interested in when I considered buying a metal detector. The camps however would be of interest, who knows what was lost in the camp. I found seventeen locations that people claim were gold rush camp sites. One is a historical landmark, one is now a nature preserve, the rest have been destroyed from larger mining operations, or construction.

    The majority of area around me? Lassen, Shasta, Whiskey Town, all State of Federal parks. One is an absolute no metal detecting, the other two are metal detecting allowed for mineral deposits, but digging, disturbing wildlife, shrubbery, trees, grass is not legal.

    BLM and is pretty much what is left, the few abandoned mines in the BLM area have been filled in for safety, and the rest are under control of current gold claims. A large portion of the rest of the BLM land has been turned into hiking and mountain biking trails.

    Tom you go near that 1930's depression era CCC camp with a metal detector the ranger there is more likely to shoot someone then arrest someone. I swear that man most likely lived in the camp in the '30's It is now a historical monument as is off limits to detecting. As well as the park next to it where the lumber mill was, the bridge built by the CCC crew, and the school house <which is now a private residences> that is across the street for that park.

    I know Tom feels I am over reacting to the legal policies to all of these places. I have found a section in most of them that literally say no Metal Detecting, or terminology to exclude all metal detecting other than for minerals.

    And as we all know, if it is State or Federal land and you find a relic you are supposed to report the finding, and it belongs to the State, United States, etc.. per the antiquity laws.

    I also found several privately owned sites of interest in my area, and every home owner told me know, I tried to explain that I would take care to leave everything as I found it, even offered 50/50 splits, etc...
    Guess what, half the people that I talked to did not want me on their property because they were growing an acre of Marijuana back there. The other half probably had the same or worse on their property <a few were probably afraid I would find the bodies they hid there>.

    So more or less, when I first looked into this hobby I found that federal land was pretty much a no-no right off the bat, but to see further detailing of State, and City limitations around me, it just seemed unreasonable.

    Anyways, as you said, maybe I just wasn't as interested as I thought I was, but I honestly feel that it's the recent experiences that have made me lose interest, I have watched far too many hobby's that I very much liked die due to these same problems, little by little getting banned, that I just don't want to get into this one and watch it happen again.

    To each his own right? Have fun guys.

  4. #94
    us
    Apr 2011
    Redding, CA
    MXT Pro
    480
    6 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Moe (fl) View Post
    What has prompted this decision now after all of these years?
    In a brief discussion with the instructor at the local community college that teaches archaeology, he has had about 30% more students in his classes in the last year then previous, and the two years before that it was up about 10% from several years before.
    Sitting in on one of his weekend lectures, it was easy to realize his stance on the subject of "looters" being in a pretty significant Native American area he has some strong feeling to say the least.

    In our area we had remnants of a lot of displaced tribes all shoved into the area by Americans as the pressed west ward. So there was a lot of cultures intermingled here. He mentioned that a lot of these areas are constantly being destroyed by looters, and treasure hunters.

  5. #95
    Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    39,266
    32653 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    You named the areas you cant hunt, there are thousands of areas you can legally hunt.



    I could say i cant hunt here in Florida, treasure coast off limits in water, state parks off limits, national forests off limits, historical sites off limitd, but it wouldnt be accurate as still thousands of places i can hunt.
    Last edited by Treasure_Hunter; Apr 05, 2012 at 11:17 AM.
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

    2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

    Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

    USAF 1967-1971

    I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

    No Expiration Date!

  6. #96

    Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    13,667
    10084 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Twisted one, you say regarding one type of public land venue:

    " ......but digging, disturbing wildlife, shrubbery, trees, grass is not legal."

    Why do you apply this to yourself and this hobby? Think carefully twisted: all such verbage clearly implies END result, do they not? Thus if you leave an area precisely as you found it (leave no trace of your presence, cover your tracks, etc....) the presto, you have not destroyed or disturbed or vandalized any "shrub, trees, grass, etc..." right? Those clause exist EVERYWHERE, in every park in the USA (yup, even ones where detecting goes on all the time with no problems). I mean, sure, tell me a single park that "allows" alterations, destruction, vandalism, defacement, digging, etc... Of course they'll all tell you that those activities are dis-allowed. And clearly they apply to the end result. To think otherwise, and sure, you may as well give up, or stick to private property. You can not define yourself in this way.

    Oh sure, there's the temporary evil process of target extraction. If this bothers you (you can't be a bit discreet), then yeah, maybe this hobby isn't for you.

  7. #97
    us
    manaloneblog.wordpress.com

    Jun 2010
    Wherever there be treasure!
    An older blue Excal with connector, remote, Skullie headphones, and various coils. Got rid of the rest of my machines.
    14,015
    8782 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Just going have to wait and see what takes place over the next couple of years. Just hope everyone is ready for what may be coming?

  8. #98
    us
    Apr 2011
    Redding, CA
    MXT Pro
    480
    6 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Treasure Hunter, I named those areas because they make up 90% of Where I live, I live at the base of two inactive volcanoes, Two of the areas largest lakes, and all of these have major park areas surrounding them.


    I can make excuses all day long, but none of them will justify myself, or appease you guys, the fact is the hobby isn't the relaxation I had hoped. That is all there is to it. Great hobby in the right areas I am sure. But sadly there are very few people here in the hobby, and those that are seem content with tot lots. The rest are mostly looking for gold.

    Have a great day everyone.

  9. #99
    Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    39,266
    32653 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Twisted One View Post
    Treasure Hunter, I named those areas because they make up 90% of Where I live, I live at the base of two inactive volcanoes, Two of the areas largest lakes, and all of these have major park areas surrounding them.


    I can make excuses all day long, but none of them will justify myself, or appease you guys, the fact is the hobby isn't the relaxation I had hoped. That is all there is to it. Great hobby in the right areas I am sure. But sadly there are very few people here in the hobby, and those that are seem content with tot lots. The rest are mostly looking for gold.

    Have a great day everyone.
    Twisted, many would look at the "very few people here in the hobby" as an advantage, no competition. LOL....When i said plenty of places to hunt, I was looking at a 50 mile radius around Redding Ca....

    Best of luck.
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

    2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

    Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

    USAF 1967-1971

    I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

    No Expiration Date!

  10. #100
    us
    Feb 2007
    East Central Florida WP
    Whites XLT / M6
    2,538
    19 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Treasure_Hunter View Post
    Someone needs to call and see if the ordnance applies to the beach, if they say it applies to the beach that would mean kids are no longer allowed to dig on the beach either, because of saint augustine's history the ordnance may only apply inside the city and not to beaches.
    Good Point.
    Ray S ECenFL

  11. #101
    us
    Jul 2011
    957
    250 times
    Metal Detecting
    Well, with shows like American Digger being broadcasted and you see more and more metal detector adverstisements and stories on the news this is bound to happen.
    And, I am sure eventually we will all get clobbered by it. I know the County Parks here more or less do not allow it.
    However, I would gladly pay a permit fee, and if these companies that sell detectors are smart, they will push Amercian legislation to see the benefit of
    permit fees as opposed to banning a pastime.
    Of course, I know of several laws unrelated to detecting in this state that were made; that noone ever enforces nor do they care to. Perhaps, invoking the law is only necessary WHEN it is necessary. Food for thought.
    CoilFisher=I fish with a coil.

    http://detectingrights.com/ Join today!

    Use a Lesche and a pinpointer and CUT the plug!
    Don't use shovels and trowels in parks to dig holes.*Preserve the hobby.*

  12. #102

    Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    13,667
    10084 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoilFisher View Post
    Perhaps, invoking the law is only necessary WHEN it is necessary. Food for thought.
    You make an interesting point: Some laws are triggered "upon complaint". For example: noise ordinances: There is, in all cities, a certain decibal limit you are not to exceed (music, machinery, etc...) from .... say .... 10pm to 6am. I am all to aware of these laws because I have a street sweeper business. We used to do a lot of shopping centers and industrial parks, factories, etc.... And of course, the sweeper and back-pack blower make noise, that generates complaints. A few times we'd get flack, and the even a decibal meter was brought out on occasion . As a result, we had to re-route several sensitive residential locations, to be done before 10pm curfew. And to put the places out in industrial parts of town, to the later slots ('cuz there's no residentials there to complain about noise).

    But think of it: if the industrial areas are ALSO in the city limits, they too are bound by the SAME decibal limit curfews. However, there is no one there to care or complain or be bothered by noise. So you can see, that a law like this, is for application upon actual complaint/nuisance, only THEN does a decibal meter come out. But at no time did the law not exist. Get it?

    So too is a lot of laws that people think apply to md'ing: defacement, vandalism, digging, alteration, etc.... They would apply if some authority tells you, in my opinion. To think that they apply ahead of time (that you .... by definition ... "destroy" and "vandalize" things), you might as well give up now, and take up needle-point as your hobby.

  13. #103

  14. #104
    us
    Aug 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA.
    White's Vision, White's 6000DI Pro
    1,924
    58 times
    'Digger' trend worries the professionals | StAugustine.com

    Just some news that may shed light on the new rules.

    Al
    I think...therefore I am.

  15. #105

    Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    13,667
    10084 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Al, a thought just occurred to me as I read this link of yours: The gut-instinct reaction of links and news like this, is "we need to fight encroaching laws" right? I mean ever since these shows, and the resulting archaeological back-lash against them, there has been no shortage of reactionary threads by md'r hobbyists, figuring we need "permits" to allow us to continue our hobby, to head-off possible reactionary laws/rules from these shows, etc... And as evidence, they post links like this, with reactions from city officials, archies, etc.... to bolster their proof that we need to "do something".

    But this thought occurred to me as I read the link: The ONLY reason we're reading about such things, is because of the publicity this brings, right? In other words, had these 2 shows never come on, then ...... presto, there would not have been this back-lash from archies, and the archie's accompanying encouragements to cities and counties. In other words publicity, visibility, etc... has caused this current rash of ill-wills, right? We would all have been better off if shows like this didn't make us a big red bulls-eye begging for attention and scrutiny, right?

    So think about it: this only bolsters what I'm saying, that we md'rs need to do the OPPOSITE of our kneejerk reaction. The knee-jerk reaction being to go out, show up at city and county halls everywhere, asking permission, seeking clarifications, asking for permits to "allow" us, etc... Because, gee, wasn't/isn't this visibility bullseye issue the problem that's bringing this about, TO BEGIN WITH? Like I bet that the average St. Augustine city personnel would never have given the matter a second glance, had he not seen an md'r on the beach, prior to this current flap. But given enough "big red bullseyes", then sure, the "pressing issue must be addressed". Thus my constant preaching for us all to STOP making ourselves an even bigger bullseye, by going and seeking sanctions. It will merely become a self-fulling vicious circle.

    So the very fact of the back-lash the show has resulted in, is proof of my very points.
    Last edited by Tom_in_CA; Apr 09, 2012 at 10:17 AM.

 

 
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Metal detectors and sharks in South Florida; Water detecting laws
    By Must811 in forum Beach and Shallow Water
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Jul 10, 2010, 09:29 PM
  2. Kentucky SB 6 bans Metal Detecting
    By bob knepper in forum Treasure Hunting Legal Issues
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Jan 13, 2010, 09:13 PM
  3. Metal detectors are sold out in Florida
    By ringding in forum Beach and Shallow Water
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: Mar 18, 2008, 06:13 PM
  4. Kew West Florida Metal detectors rentals and spots?
    By Findloot in forum Metal Detecting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Apr 21, 2005, 08:54 PM
  5. Any one do anything at St. Augustine, Florida????
    By BULL in forum Metal Detecting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Feb 26, 2005, 09:15 AM

Search tags for this page

can you metal detect on st augustine beach

,

metal detecting in st augustine fl

,

metal detecting st augustine

,

metal detecting st augustine fl

,

metal detector rental st augustine fl

,

st augustine florida metal detecting laws

,

st augustine metal detecting

,
st augustine metal detecting laws
,

st augustine treasure hunting

,
why are metal detectors not allowed in st augustine fl
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0