Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: St.Augustine Florida bans metal detectors

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Apr 2011
    Redding, CA
    MXT Pro
    4 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

St.Augustine Florida bans metal detectors

For all of those people saying, that metal detecting is not under threat guess what.

City expands limits on performers, vendors | StAugustine.com

According to this article you now have to get a permit through the city archaeologist to be able to metal detect in St. Augustine Florida. How long before other areas take on this same ruling?

us
    It's dangerous to be right when those with a thimbleful of perceived authority are wrong.

Mar 2012
    Michigan
    White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
    121 times
    Metal Detecting
    How long? Not long. Jealous archaeologists are using their credentials to get this done in LOTS of places.
    The biggest reason? These TV shows.

us
    Apr 2011
    Redding, CA
    MXT Pro
    4 times
    It just makes me laugh that people want to turn a blind eye and claim we are over reacting to a non-existent threat. It's real, and this is only the first of many I am sure.
    rhino71 likes this.

us
    NJ

Nov 2006
    Middlesex County, New Jersey
    Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
    103 times
    Metal Detecting
    They did not actually ban it...they just require a permit to do it on public land. Depending on if there is a fee and what the actual requirements are I don't have a problem with this. If there is no cost and there are no restrictions other then reporting your finds I think it is okay and would help the local archeological community. With that being said if they use the information collected to start closing sites to detecting then I have a problem with it.

This does not affect detecting on private property in anyway.

Is there anyone in the area that could post the actual permit requirements?

NJ

us
    Apr 2011
    Redding, CA
    MXT Pro
    4 times
    Actual permit requirements would be nice to know, but having to go through the city archaeologist could mean problems depending on his stance on metal detecting.

us
    Apr 2011
    Redding, CA
    MXT Pro
    4 times
    Here is the wording of the actual code.

Sec. 6-7. - Excavations on public property.
    No individual shall be allowed to use a probe, metal detector or any other device to search or excavate for artifacts on public property, nor can any individual remove artifacts from public property without the written permission of the city. Furthermore, no disturbances or construction activities shall be authorized within properties belonging to the city, including public streets and rights-of-way, without a city right-of-way permit and without such archaeology efforts as may be addressed by this chapter. Any proposed archaeological work and delays relative to a disturbance or construction work shall be in accordance with provisions of this chapter relative to major and minor disturbances in Archaeological Zones I, II and III.
    (Code 1964, 5-7)

us
    NJ

Nov 2006
    Middlesex County, New Jersey
    Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
    103 times
    Metal Detecting
    That is pretty vague. I would rather see a spelled out permit process. This is just too open for the city to just say no so it does not have to deal with the hassle. Most government works want to do the least amount of work possible so the no answer is the easy way out.

I've worked with many archeologists and most in my area are completely open to the detecting community. I've run joint lectures with them and have worked side by side at many sites. They have gotten me into place that I would normally get arrested for detecting. I even lend them some of my what are they finds for them to research and/or date. For me it has been a very rewarding give and take relationship.

NJ

Charter Member
    us
    *************** WHAT YOU DO WITH THE FINDS YOU DIG UP IS YOUR BUSINESS AND NO ONE ELSES, IGNORE ANYONE ON A SOAPBOX TRYING TO PREACH OTHERWISE! **************

Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    Minelab_ETrac Minelab_Safari Minelab_Excal_1500_WOT Excal_SEF_12x15 Sovereign GT Whites_6000_XL_Pro Whites_Classic_ID Troy_Shadow_X2 Tesoro_Conquistador Fisher_1235X Whites_Beach ID
    9880 times
    Someone needs to call and see if the ordnance applies to the beach, if they say it applies to the beach that would mean kids are no longer allowed to dig on the beach either, because of saint augustine's history the ordnance may only apply inside the city and not to beaches.

HERE IS THE THING ABOUT RIGHTS, THEY'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE VOTED ON, THAT IS WHY THEY CALL THEM RIGHTS!

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." --Samuel Adams

MY LIBERTY AND FREEDOMS ARE NOT YOURS TO GIVE OR TAKE!.......THEY DIDN'T MAKE US FREE, WE WERE BORN FREE, AS LONG AS WE HAVE THE 2ND AMENDMENT WE WILL REMAIN FREE!

CLICK LINK BELOW TO READ OUR RULES..

TreasureNet.com Rules

us
    Apr 2011
    Redding, CA
    MXT Pro
    4 times
    From what I was reading, it sounds like the beach is with in city limits. Of course I can not confirm.

I Am A Metal Detectorist and I Vote | Facebook

us
    Apr 2011
    Redding, CA
    MXT Pro
    4 times
    The link I posted above suggest that the beach is included in the city limits. This link has been updated to explain there is a St. Augustine, Florida, and a St. Augustine beach, Florida.

So sounds like the beach is not included in the ordinance, they talked to someone official over there that assured the beaches are still open.
    Last edited by Twisted One; Mar 28, 2012 at 04:36 PM.

Charter Member
    um
    Jul 2004
    Broward Co.
    Tesoro Sand Shark, Whites M6
    2726 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Treasure_Hunter View Post
    Someone needs to call and see if the ordnance applies to the beach, if they say it applies to the beach that would mean kids are no longer allowed to dig on the beach either, because of saint augustine's history the ordnance may only apply inside the city and not to beaches.
    Does the city even have a beach? I think the only beach within city limits (excluding the intracoastal) is Anastasia State Park which extends ti the inlet and north of that (Villano beach) is not city property.

st. augustine - Google Maps
    In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is King.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink it.

Charter Member
    us
    *************** WHAT YOU DO WITH THE FINDS YOU DIG UP IS YOUR BUSINESS AND NO ONE ELSES, IGNORE ANYONE ON A SOAPBOX TRYING TO PREACH OTHERWISE! **************

Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    Minelab_ETrac Minelab_Safari Minelab_Excal_1500_WOT Excal_SEF_12x15 Sovereign GT Whites_6000_XL_Pro Whites_Classic_ID Troy_Shadow_X2 Tesoro_Conquistador Fisher_1235X Whites_Beach ID
    9880 times
    Here is another map of St. Augistine City Limits, diggummup is correct, only beach is infact Anastasia State Park..

St Augustine CityLimits.pdf

Considering the history of St. Augustine I can understand why they outllawed it....

15 Oldest Cities in United States..

1) Saint Augustine, Florida
    • Year of Founding: 1565

1) Jamestown, Virginia
    • Year of Founding: 1607

2) Santa Fe, New Mexico
    • Year of Founding: 1607

3) Hampton, Virginia
    • Year of Founding: 1610

4) Kecoughtan, Virginia
    • Year of Founding: 1610

5) Newport News, Virginia
    • Year of Founding: 1613

6) Albany, New York
    • Year of Founding: 1614

7) Jersey City, New Jersey
    • Year of Founding: 1617

8) Plymouth, Massachusetts
    • Year of Founding: 1620

9) Weymouth, Massachusetts
    • Year of Founding: 1622

10) Dover, New Hampshire
    • Year of Founding: 1623

11) Gloucester, Massachusetts
    • Year of Founding: 1623

12) New Amsterdam, New York
    • Year of Founding: 1625

13) Salem, Massachusetts
    • Year of Founding: 1626

14) Lynn, Massachusetts
    • Year of Founding: 1629

15) Charleston, Massachusetts
    • Year of Founding: 1629
    Last edited by Treasure_Hunter; Mar 28, 2012 at 06:46 PM.

HERE IS THE THING ABOUT RIGHTS, THEY'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE VOTED ON, THAT IS WHY THEY CALL THEM RIGHTS!

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." --Samuel Adams

MY LIBERTY AND FREEDOMS ARE NOT YOURS TO GIVE OR TAKE!.......THEY DIDN'T MAKE US FREE, WE WERE BORN FREE, AS LONG AS WE HAVE THE 2ND AMENDMENT WE WILL REMAIN FREE!

CLICK LINK BELOW TO READ OUR RULES..

TreasureNet.com Rules

us
    Dec 2008
    St. Augustine, FL
    774 times
    A little late to the thread and everything has been hammered out. The Beach is OK. Anastasia State Park is unique. It depends on the day and who to talk to. Depending on the ranger on duty, I've been told detecting is not allowed; detecting is only allowed from the dune to the high tide line; detecting is only allowed in the intertidal zone; and detecting is only allowed in the water. One can still dig on private property. And you can forget about any permit. Carl Halbirt (city archaeologist) controls the city.

us
    Apr 2011
    Redding, CA
    MXT Pro
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Diver_Down View Post
    And you can forget about any permit. Carl Halbirt (city archaeologist) controls the city.
    Thanks for filling us in on the details, this last statement you made is the one I think will be the biggest problem with that system.

us
    Dec 2008
    St. Augustine, FL
    774 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Twisted One View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Diver_Down View Post
    And you can forget about any permit. Carl Halbirt (city archaeologist) controls the city.
    Thanks for filling us in on the details, this last statement you made is the one I think will be the biggest problem with that system.
    From our vantage point, indeed. Everyone else just kowtows to Carl. An earlier poster mentioned the impact of Reality Shows such as Diggers. Indeed, they didn't receive a warm welcome when they came to town recently, but what has had a larger impact in my opinion was a recent newspaper article featuring a local resident. This person went about flouting his finds including his claim that he's found the famous Matanzas Massacre site. He had gone so far as having his photo taken with the Matanzas National Monument (beach side) in the background. Of course this charged the current climate, while the recent t.v. shows just added fuel to the fire. An FYI: The Massacre site is NOT where the current National Monument is.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links