Upvote 0

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How long? Not long. Jealous archaeologists are using their credentials to get this done in LOTS of places.
The biggest reason? These TV shows.

OP
OP
T

Twisted One

Apr 18, 2011
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It just makes me laugh that people want to turn a blind eye and claim we are over reacting to a non-existent threat. It's real, and this is only the first of many I am sure.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They did not actually ban it...they just require a permit to do it on public land. Depending on if there is a fee and what the actual requirements are I don't have a problem with this. If there is no cost and there are no restrictions other then reporting your finds I think it is okay and would help the local archeological community. With that being said if they use the information collected to start closing sites to detecting then I have a problem with it.

This does not affect detecting on private property in anyway.

Is there anyone in the area that could post the actual permit requirements?

NJ

OP
OP
T

Twisted One

Apr 18, 2011
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actual permit requirements would be nice to know, but having to go through the city archaeologist could mean problems depending on his stance on metal detecting.

OP
OP
T

Twisted One

Apr 18, 2011
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the wording of the actual code.

Sec. 6-7. - Excavations on public property.
hyperlink.png

No individual shall be allowed to use a probe, metal detector or any other device to search or excavate for artifacts on public property, nor can any individual remove artifacts from public property without the written permission of the city. Furthermore, no disturbances or construction activities shall be authorized within properties belonging to the city, including public streets and rights-of-way, without a city right-of-way permit and without such archaeology efforts as may be addressed by this chapter. Any proposed archaeological work and delays relative to a disturbance or construction work shall be in accordance with provisions of this chapter relative to major and minor disturbances in Archaeological Zones I, II and III.​
(Code 1964, § 5½-7)​

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is pretty vague. I would rather see a spelled out permit process. This is just too open for the city to just say no so it does not have to deal with the hassle. Most government works want to do the least amount of work possible so the no answer is the easy way out.

I've worked with many archeologists and most in my area are completely open to the detecting community. I've run joint lectures with them and have worked side by side at many sites. They have gotten me into place that I would normally get arrested for detecting. I even lend them some of my what are they finds for them to research and/or date. For me it has been a very rewarding give and take relationship.

NJ

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone needs to call and see if the ordnance applies to the beach, if they say it applies to the beach that would mean kids are no longer allowed to dig on the beach either, because of saint augustine's history the ordnance may only apply inside the city and not to beaches.

OP
OP
T

Twisted One

Apr 18, 2011
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The link I posted above suggest that the beach is included in the city limits. This link has been updated to explain there is a St. Augustine, Florida, and a St. Augustine beach, Florida.

So sounds like the beach is not included in the ordinance, they talked to someone official over there that assured the beaches are still open.

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone needs to call and see if the ordnance applies to the beach, if they say it applies to the beach that would mean kids are no longer allowed to dig on the beach either, because of saint augustine's history the ordnance may only apply inside the city and not to beaches.
Does the city even have a beach? I think the only beach within city limits (excluding the intracoastal) is Anastasia State Park which extends ti the inlet and north of that (Villano beach) is not city property.

st. augustine - Google Maps

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is another map of St. Augistine City Limits, diggummup is correct, only beach is infact Anastasia State Park..

View attachment St Augustine CityLimits.pdf

Considering the history of St. Augustine I can understand why they outllawed it....

15 Oldest Cities in United States..

1) Saint Augustine, Florida
• Year of Founding: 1565

1) Jamestown, Virginia
• Year of Founding: 1607

2) Santa Fe, New Mexico
• Year of Founding: 1607

3) Hampton, Virginia
• Year of Founding: 1610

4) Kecoughtan, Virginia
• Year of Founding: 1610

5) Newport News, Virginia
• Year of Founding: 1613

6) Albany, New York
• Year of Founding: 1614

7) Jersey City, New Jersey
• Year of Founding: 1617

8) Plymouth, Massachusetts
• Year of Founding: 1620

9) Weymouth, Massachusetts
• Year of Founding: 1622

10) Dover, New Hampshire
• Year of Founding: 1623

11) Gloucester, Massachusetts
• Year of Founding: 1623

12) New Amsterdam, New York
• Year of Founding: 1625

13) Salem, Massachusetts
• Year of Founding: 1626

14) Lynn, Massachusetts
• Year of Founding: 1629

15) Charleston, Massachusetts
• Year of Founding: 1629

Last edited:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
A little late to the thread and everything has been hammered out. The Beach is OK. Anastasia State Park is unique. It depends on the day and who to talk to. Depending on the ranger on duty, I've been told detecting is not allowed; detecting is only allowed from the dune to the high tide line; detecting is only allowed in the intertidal zone; and detecting is only allowed in the water. One can still dig on private property. And you can forget about any permit. Carl Halbirt (city archaeologist) controls the city.

OP
OP
T

Twisted One

Apr 18, 2011
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And you can forget about any permit. Carl Halbirt (city archaeologist) controls the city.

Thanks for filling us in on the details, this last statement you made is the one I think will be the biggest problem with that system.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
And you can forget about any permit. Carl Halbirt (city archaeologist) controls the city.

Thanks for filling us in on the details, this last statement you made is the one I think will be the biggest problem with that system.

From our vantage point, indeed. Everyone else just kowtows to Carl. An earlier poster mentioned the impact of Reality Shows such as Diggers. Indeed, they didn't receive a warm welcome when they came to town recently, but what has had a larger impact in my opinion was a recent newspaper article featuring a local resident. This person went about flouting his finds including his claim that he's found the famous Matanzas Massacre site. He had gone so far as having his photo taken with the Matanzas National Monument (beach side) in the background. Of course this charged the current climate, while the recent t.v. shows just added fuel to the fire. An FYI: The Massacre site is NOT where the current National Monument is.

LostinBolton

Mar 28, 2012
CT
Detector(s) used
DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new here and expanding my hobby. I was going to St Aug. in May to my sisters in Palencia and was hoping to try the beaches. This might change my plans. Thanks for info.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I am new here and expanding my hobby. I was going to St Aug. in May to my sisters in Palencia and was hoping to try the beaches. This might change my plans. Thanks for info.

The beaches are fine. Being that you will be based out of Palencia, then I would suggest pounding the sand at Mickler's Landing. Villano would be my second choice, if I were you.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've never detected in St. Augustine but it is a wonderful little city to visit. The Spanish fort makes a trip there well worth it. As Treasure Hunter stated with the history I can understand having some restrictions and/or control measures.

I was one of the people that felt these shows would hurt our hobby but just found out there maybe a positive come about from them that could bring the Archaeological and Detecting communities closer. More to follow in the next month or two. Keep your fingers crossed.

NJ

boris

Dec 17, 2011
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
tesoro stingray
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The link I posted above suggest that the beach is included in the city limits. This link has been updated to explain there is a St. Augustine, Florida, and a St. Augustine beach, Florida.

So sounds like the beach is not included in the ordinance, they talked to someone official over there that assured the beaches are still open.
Has anyone ever been able to talk with Indiana Jones? Where is he at?

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL

Has anyone ever been able to talk with Indiana Jones? Where is he at?

I'm not sure of what Indiana Jones has to do with the context of the quoted reply? There is no question about St. Augustine and St. Augustine Beach being two separate towns/cities.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread