Make friends with a Navajo and have him take you on the reservation
HH
Marty

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kevin, THINK! Sounds pretty basic but that is how you will develope LEADS. Under large trees... especially if in a front yard. (People gathered under trees before air conditioning). Under the clothes line. Between the back door and car. Check for loose posts (post-hole bank). Where did the kids play? WHEREVER PEOPLE GATHER. Many books have been written listing hundreds of locations. A small purchase may possibly pay for itself quickly. Good luck. TTC

TimC

Jul 24, 2008
Gold Country, Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Various
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Kev,
Look to the stars, Kevin. I saw you post and I went right to Google Earth to see where you were. You live in a good sized city. From above I could see one area with 6 baseball diamonds and 3 soccer fields. Those fields alone can keep you busy for weeks, and if you're new to using a MD, a good area to learn how to use it. Maybe check with the local police dept. for any permits needed on public land. Some towns actually have free permits. Even a small fee is worth it. But heck Kevin, that town has more on and in the ground waiting for you than you can imagine. Good luck, and in no time you won't need luck, you will have skill. TKC

TimC

Jul 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
Various
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I might add, Kevin, that at one playground I found three rings inside of two hours. One of them just three feet from the parking lot. TKC

OP
OP
Kev2008

Kev2008

Greenie
Mar 27, 2012
Farmington,New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Elite 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great tips,you Guys !!!! I will look around !!! Thanks a million !!!!:newbie:

OP
OP
Kev2008

Kev2008

Greenie
Mar 27, 2012
Farmington,New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Elite 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make friends with a Navajo and have him take you on the reservation
HH
Marty
LOL !!! My Girlfriend is Native American and we live together on Reservation !!!
My question,what is that going to help me with ?

OP
OP
Kev2008

Kev2008

Greenie
Mar 27, 2012
Farmington,New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Elite 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Kev,
Look to the stars, Kevin. I saw you post and I went right to Google Earth to see where you were. You live in a good sized city. From above I could see one area with 6 baseball diamonds and 3 soccer fields. Those fields alone can keep you busy for weeks, and if you're new to using a MD, a good area to learn how to use it. Maybe check with the local police dept. for any permits needed on public land. Some towns actually have free permits. Even a small fee is worth it. But heck Kevin, that town has more on and in the ground waiting for you than you can imagine. Good luck, and in no time you won't need luck, you will have skill. TKC
I am pretty sure,they won't let me dig on the fields there !?!?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Re.: the possibility of "permits" (as TimC alludes to), be aware:

a) this is extremely rare for any city to have such a thing. But the minute 1 out of 1000 cities has such a thing, and this gets onto the internet, presto, people are told to go asking at city halls to see if these exist in their burg.

b) if you wonder if such a thing exists where you are, don't go walking into police stations, city halls, or park's dept's asking "do I need [or do you have] a permit for metal detecting?". Because there have been instances of this type question being interpretted as a form/fashion of your asking them for "permission". And the problem with that is, you might get some desk-bound clerk to tell you "no you can't", when in fact, no real rule exists that says you can't (simply because they think you'll harm the earthworms or something they morph to apply to your "pressing question".

So if you wonder if there's rules specifically saying no detecting, or if there's permits, the better way to find out, is to look for yourself. The city codes, rules, laws, etc... are public information. Either on the city website, or available at city hall or police station on the front desk in book form. If you see nothing specifically forbidding metal detecting (or saying you need a "permit"), presto, I guess it must not be dis-allowed :)

TimC

Jul 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
Various
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You make a good point, Tom. If someone went through the process of looking for the info, without sending up a red flag, the rest of us could get a good start for the same. The look-up guide can be generic, what web site... statute... etc. that can be used for any urban area. TKC

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Hi Kevin, 1st store in Farmingtown (original name) 1885. Incorporated 1901. Populations from past 1920 728, 1940 2,161, 1960 23,786. About 1938 there were farms totalling 2,000 acres that had 53,000 apple trees. According to the city website, Farmington has 73 city parks, 18 municipal schools, 6 private schools & San Juan College. Also the public library has about 200,000 books, so maybe some good stuff there about local history. I looked all over website, nothing against detecting, disturbing the soil a bit, or keeping the coins you find. On ballfields, stay off if locked or gate open but workers present. Also ballfields where they have high school or adult home & away games with scoreboards. Ballfields in small parks used by small kids are usually OK to detect. If the adult baseball parks aren't normally locked, you can usually detect the aisles between the fields, where they line up to get in or to buy food/drink. Best wishes, George (MN)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions