Help, looking for a new machine.

Stone

Feb 26, 2012
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm about to buy a new machine but can't decide what my best opposition maybe. I have a budget of about $600 maybe $700 but that depends on the wife. I'm interested in relic and coin hunting. My main problem is, I want to get the Garrett Pro Pointer as well and if I did, I wouldn't be able to get any of the detectors that are in the $500+ range. I could get one of the $60 pin pointers just not sure how well they work. Is a pin pointer even necessary or just a good luxury? I want a detector with good depth and target ID also ground balance is helpful. Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Also, here is a list of machines I have been looking into.

Fisher F2
Garrett ACE 250
Garrett ACE 350
Minelab X-Terra 305

Teknetics Gamma 6000
Fisher F4
Fisher F5
Minelab X-Terra 505
Garrett AT Pro

Upvote 0

williamsingr

Mar 15, 2012
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT PRO, Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have to say take a look at White's MXT I think I saw a used one posted here for just over 500, the MXT will out do all those you listed above. NEw is just under 700 , I think you should still be able to get the pro pointer and the MXT for your budget or maybe spend a tad more like 20 bucks but it would be well worth the investment. The MXT is one of the best all purpose machines out there works well on wet or dry sand and is extremly hot on gold. If you buy a cheaper model you will not be happy, you will find stuff but you will miss even more. Check all the reviews on it and search out all the forums to find your best deals

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Garrett 250 is a good start... you will upgrade. You will spend between 250 and 300 for the 250. You now have enough for a pinpointer. I have a pinpointer but consider it a hinderance to good, solid detector pinpointing.

WVCOINHUNTER

Jan 19, 2012
Vienna, WV
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Pro, XP MI6, Garrett Pro Pointer, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an AT Pro and the Propointer by Garrett. I spent just a little over $700 for the two, but well worth the investment! The AT Pro pinpoints very well, but the propointer cuts my recovery time and digging in half. I have found a 1929 merc at 10 inches, and some relic at 16 inches plus. The key to what ever machine you buy, is learn the sounds of your machine, and enjoy the hobby! Good luck!

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm about to buy a new machine but can't decide what my best opposition maybe. I have a budget of about $600 maybe $700 but that depends on the wife. I'm interested in relic and coin hunting. My main problem is, I want to get the Garrett Pro Pointer as well and if I did, I wouldn't be able to get any of the detectors that are in the $500+ range. I could get one of the $60 pin pointers just not sure how well they work. Is a pin pointer even necessary or just a good luxury? I want a detector with good depth and target ID also ground balance is helpful. Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Also, here is a list of machines I have been looking into.

Fisher F2
Garrett ACE 250
Garrett ACE 350
Minelab X-Terra 305

Teknetics Gamma 6000
Fisher F4
Fisher F5
Minelab X-Terra 505
Garrett AT Pro

Feel free to give me a call. Love to help answer your questions and make you a great deal!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread