Boounty Hunter 505 or Fisher F2 ???

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been lurking for a while and have done alot of reading here. Don't have the cash for a high end detector. I have a BH 101 and have worked thru the learning curve. Been doing pretty good on coins, a pocket full of clad,no silver yet but one war nickle, a wheat and a junk ring. I have it narrowed down to the Bounty Hunter 505 and the Fisher F2. I'm leaning real hard on the 505 for the simple reason of warranty and Ground balace. My question is why would one choose the F2 instead. Am I missing something or would the majority go with the 505?

Upvote 0

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fisher, Fisher, Fisher and Fisher.... Did I mention Fisher? :-) Sure the Bounty Hunter 505 has a lot of FEATURES, but the actual performance is NOTHING compared to the Fisher. Bounty Hunter likes to put bells and whistles on their machines to try to make up for shoddy functioning, depth and discrimination. The Fisher is also more rugged.

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
Fisher, Fisher, Fisher and Fisher.... Did I mention Fisher? :-) Sure the Bounty Hunter 505 has a lot of FEATURES, but the actual performance is NOTHING compared to the Fisher. Bounty Hunter likes to put bells and whistles on their machines to try to make up for shoddy functioning, depth and discrimination. The Fisher is also more rugged.

I respect your opinion Diggit but my sister uses the F2 and it's the biggest hunk of dung I have ever seen the foam grip just loosely slides up and down...the tid is rarely accurate unless it's a surface coin and I've never seen her get a coin over 4 inches deep....EVER. If I had to choose between the two I would take the 505 but that's just this guys opinion.

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No prob, coinstriking. People have different experiences.. To the OP, might I add this. How about saving up just a TINY bit more and get an Ace 250 or a White's coinmaster. The performance gain would be worth it.

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
Or maybe even a Silver umax.

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I second the Silver Umax as well. Fine machine. (Sorry, I tried to just "like" what you said instead of posting this but it won't let me "like" stuff for some reason.)

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't want to make anyone feel bad about their detectors, I just want to pass on what I have personally experienced. The F2 is built like a Fisher Price toy. I don't want someone else being disappointed with it. I know how it feels to get a detector only to wish you would have chosen differently after a few days.

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i have a bh 505 and found that it is very bump sensitive so if your gonna use it around any kind of brush high grass dont
oh just for the record this is the second one i have owned bh replaced the first second one was just as bad

OP
OP
hunter_46356

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok I checked the Ace 250 and the 350 vs the BH505. The 350 is very close in price with very similar in abilities. The 505 has manual GB, a better warranty and motion/non motion mode. 350 has a DD coil and pin point. The only thing I don't know is depth ratings on each. Anyone give me some insight?

jibb

Feb 9, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I have the 505 and I've had it for 3 months. Its been very good in my opinion. For the features it has and the cost its awesome. I looked at all the detectors in this price range and I think the 505 has the most to offer and a very good warranty. If I had 600$ or more to spend I wouldn't choose the 505 but in the 200-300$ price range its a lot of detector for the money.

Oh and my depth has been 4"-8" for dimes and 6"-12" for quarters. The depth varies on ground conditions but overall I have been impressed with the depth of the 505. From all that I have read the depth between all these detectors in this price range are going to be very close.

Last edited:
OP
OP
hunter_46356

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jibb I have a BH 101 now and guessing it's very close to the tracker IV that I see you have or have used. Do you find and increase in depth results between the 505 and the Tracker?

jibb

Feb 9, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jibb I have a BH 101 now and guessing it's very close to the tracker IV that I see you have or have used. Do you find and increase in depth results between the 505 and the Tracker?[/QUOTE

Yeah I do see a difference in depth between the tracker and the 505. I'm not sure if its a lot deeper but the signal is much better and repeats stronger and more often with the same target. If I have a quarter at 8" deep the tracker will pick it up but may not every sweep over it but my 505 will hit it strong every sweep. The tracker is a great starter detector but once you move to the 505 you won't look back.

goldfinder

Mar 31, 2003
AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd recommend a Tesoro of a comparable price. They do very well and you can't beat the guarantee.
Goldfinder

WVCOINHUNTER

Jan 19, 2012
Vienna, WV
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Pro, XP MI6, Garrett Pro Pointer, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just my opinion, but my first machine was a Bounty Hunter Platinum, and loved it. It too is about $300 on metaldetector.com, later, I moved to a Garrett AT Pro and really love it! Im not sure, but I think Fisher is made by BH, either way, it's great to be in this hobby!

P.S. I checked into it, and Bounty Hunter, Fisher, and Teknetics are all made by First Texas Electronics

Last edited:
OP
OP
hunter_46356

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WV you are right about First Texas. I have always believed you have to be confident in the tools you use for "any" job. I have found pennies with my 101 as deep as 8" in sandy soil the deepest large pieces of steel or iron have been at 12"+. I have the confidence I think I need in Bounty Hunter brand and really think that will cause me to work hard on getting the most from one if I choose the 505. What is kinda strange is of the 30 some pieces of coins I've found I've only found one nickle a 45. I think I'm missing, discriminating them out or passing them off as junk. I live in NW IN and there is a club in my area but they don't seem to be very active. I hope to met up with some members soon if they arrange an outing, but I'm haveing a hard time not upgrading before I do. I've read so much on this site and it gets you motivated to do something. I'm sure I would be able to see several different MD's and get even more advice or opinions on different machines. Sometimes to much information is......well to much information. Thanks for everyones help.

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I picked up an Ace350 a while back for under $300- and found the ring in my avatar. they are good machines. best to contact Mike Post at woodland detectors and see what he has- he's got great customer service- I picked up an AT-Pro (garrett) and a minelab Etrac from him. just my 5 cents for inflation- BH are ok, but break at the coil plug- customer service isn't what it should be- never even returned a call for me. (not saying the 505 won't work for you- just my experience)- call Mike first and ask to see what he thinks -are you just looking for coins? or running for gold?

fat fred

Apr 23, 2012
savannah ga
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fisher F2 is not a piece of junk

I'm new to metal detecting and the first couple of times out I used my friend's (who got me started) Fisher 1266x and dug everything. I was worn out digging! I didn't want to abuse his generosity, so I shopped around for an entry level detector and decided on the F2. I understand that the 1266x in the right hands may be a better machine than the F2, but being a newbie it would have taken me a while to master the 1266x. I really didn't know what I was doing with the 1266x and I wanted something simpler (and lighter).

First time out with the F2 in the first ten minutes I found this beautiful Republican Blues button. My friend was amazed and said "Well, you just paid for your new Fisher and then some!"

I have found some nice civilian buttons and a lot of iron relics with my F2. It's not a piece of junk to me. But don't listen to me, I'm just a newbie who knows nothing.

RB1.JPG RB2.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread