best detector for 5 year old

bullshrink

Jan 14, 2012
western mass
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Excalibur II 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
my son and i are having a blast detecting lately. i let him pinpoint and help me dig and loving every moment. i want to get him his own detector. i want to spend around 200. i am kinda between the garret ace 150 or maby the compadre from tesoro.anyone have a child run these and what have been the experiences.

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go with the Tesoro Compadre - light, easy, more sensitive than the Ace 150 to small gold jewelry - AND a lifetime warranty!

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go with the Tesoro Compadre - light, easy, more sensitive than the Ace 150 to small gold jewelry - AND a lifetime warranty!

And people always argue with me when I tell them people are often recommending compadres for little kids, hahaha.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Ace 250 adds the pinpoint feature over the 150, and it still is in your price range. My two grandsons started with the Ace 250 and the Fisher F2. The F2 offers a package with a small coil, standard coil and pinpointer for your price range.

f2 pointer pkg.jpg Wayne

Last edited:

boris

Dec 17, 2011
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
tesoro stingray
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I wore out 3 bounty hunters before I upgraded to a tesoro stingray{waterproof}.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And people always argue with me when I tell them people are often recommending compadres for little kids, hahaha.
I don't know why they would argue about that. They don't make 'em any easier to operate that's for sure and the price is right, it is lightweight, dependable and the warranty can't be beat. That was gonna be my recommendation too. I don't think it's a criticism to the brand, it's more of a compliment. So easy to use even a 5 year old can use it.

Last edited:

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
The Ace 250 is 'way too big and heavy for a 5 year old. The Bounty Hunter Junior is sized for young kids, runs typically about $60 retail, very easy to learn how to use, and the circuit is of the "real metal detector" kind, not just a toy.

--Dave J.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know why they would argue about that. They don't make 'em any easier to operate that's for sure and the price is right, it is lightweight, dependable and the warranty can't be beat. That was gonna be my recommendation too. I don't think it's a criticism to the brand, it's more of a compliment. So easy to use even a 5 year old can use it.

I've gotten in arguments on this site in the past about it a few times. It's what my friends kid used for a number of years until he became physically strong enough to use an Explorer. The machine is about as light and simple as a machine can get. They mostly hunted farm fields, and he would find seated and large cents from time to time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread