Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Apr 2010

Minelab Explorer XS vs. Explorer 2?

Hey guys,

I love my Explorer 2 and want to get a second detector for friends to use. The explorer XS's are a little cheaper, whats the difference between the two?

Thanks in advance.

us
    Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

Jan 2012
    Winchester VA
    This Minelab and this Pro-Pointer.. and that's all I need
    88 times
    Relic Hunting
    I assume you're talking about purchasing one used. The XS and II are no longer in production. The SE Pro is the current generation of the Explorer model. I have an XS that is 12yrs old and would use nothing else if given for free. I doubt there's much difference between the two so I'd go for whats cheaper.

BTW I wish I had friends as generous as you!
    "Its a lot better for em to ask ya how ya doin than whatcha doin" -Tom Dickey

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    1819 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    There is little difference between the original XS and the II. One difference I'm aware of is a hardware fix: The earlier XS's had the annoying problem of breaking the rod at the junction where it enters the box, or something like that.
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

OBN
    us
    83+ on the CB List, Hammer time

Dec 2008
    Ocean City / Chesapeake Bay
    ViperII / Diablo titanium scoops
    1010 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    I've had all three..but sold the exp II to get a SE.....So now I still have the XS and the SE..when turning on each the XS was the slowest to go thur the startup screen...the SE, and the EXP II were much faster.., therefore faster machines, on targets Plus I can not use the XS anymore because I've got use to the hunting AllMetal, Ferrious Tones..then watching the digital read out...The SE and the Exp II have Digital display that shows both the ferrous content (FER) and the conductivity (COND), where as the XS has Digital mode depicts target ID with a numerical value ranging from 1 to 32 (FER) and a corresponding picture icon; i.e., coin, nail, pull tab, etc There are a few other differences but mostly all three are brothers sharing many of the same features, each upgrade the machine has become faster..Different Processors? With a few improvements on each.................................Once you go forwards, it hard to go back...

Oct 2005
    XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
    132 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Go for the Explorer II. As has been mentioned by Tom the hardware was improved, its going to be a little newer and I found it to be an improvement over the original. On the other hand it might be an opportunity for you to try one of the other twin/triple frequency brands as most models have both strengths and weaknesses.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors