Minelab Explorer XS vs. Explorer 2?

CSA2K

Jan 24, 2012
Winchester VA
Detector(s) used
This Minelab and this Pro-Pointer.. and that's all I need
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I assume you're talking about purchasing one used. The XS and II are no longer in production. The SE Pro is the current generation of the Explorer model. I have an XS that is 12yrs old and would use nothing else if given for free. I doubt there's much difference between the two so I'd go for whats cheaper.

BTW I wish I had friends as generous as you!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
There is little difference between the original XS and the II. One difference I'm aware of is a hardware fix: The earlier XS's had the annoying problem of breaking the rod at the junction where it enters the box, or something like that.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I've had all three..but sold the exp II to get a SE.....So now I still have the XS and the SE..when turning on each the XS was the slowest to go thur the startup screen...the SE, and the EXP II were much faster.., therefore faster machines, on targets Plus I can not use the XS anymore because I've got use to the hunting AllMetal, Ferrious Tones..then watching the digital read out...The SE and the Exp II have Digital display that shows both the ferrous content (FER) and the conductivity (COND), where as the XS has Digital mode depicts target ID with a numerical value ranging from 1 to 32 (FER) and a corresponding picture icon; i.e., coin, nail, pull tab, etc There are a few other differences but mostly all three are brothers sharing many of the same features, each upgrade the machine has become faster..Different Processors? With a few improvements on each.................................Once you go forwards, it hard to go back...

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go for the Explorer II. As has been mentioned by Tom the hardware was improved, its going to be a little newer and I found it to be an improvement over the original. On the other hand it might be an opportunity for you to try one of the other twin/triple frequency brands as most models have both strengths and weaknesses.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread